X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2019/2020: Underclassmen Reign

Originally posted by chiefs11 View Post
    Winning goal sliced that d like slicing pie come on to easy defense
    That was a nice individual effort by their goal scorer. A tough goal to give up after tying the game. After a good first period things got away from them in the second. That turn over resulting in their second goal was a killer and really got UMass buzzing. Tyler Wall was huge again and made an unbelievable save in that period. The poor guy saw a lot of rubber this weekend. I thought the 2 disallowed goals were pretty easy calls for the Refs. It was good to see the team fight back in the third period.

Wow, the Hawks were destroyed on faceoffs last night 42-17 and were out shot on the weekend 90-40.

Next up a desperate UNH team that is fighting to make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      Radio guys were losing their mind over someone trying to take one of our guys heads off. Usually one does that while the other one is more calm. This time they were close to speechless. Anyone see what happened?

In other news, while hockey was the only sport at UML our Track and Field Women and men placed 2nd at conference. The Men had some issues but the women were ridiculous to pull that off.
      It was the hit on Sodogren in the third period about 30 seconds before the line brawl. It looked like a charge since the UMass player appeared to leave his feet before contact was made. His stick made contact with what looked like Connor's neck.

The issue I have with last night is UMass having a 6th guy on the ice during a line brawl. Tell me that wasn't intentional by Carvel, real cheap move on their part.

Lowell showed great mettle all weekend and Tyler did his best to keep us in the game last night. UMass just rolls deeper than us when it comes to skill. We don't have a player that can match what John Leonard did last night.

The haphazard goaltending from UMass makes me think we can beat them again if we have to face them in the playoffs.
      Tully Rink Rat
      Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
      Youngstar
      UML Class of 09

Comment

And no Kenny Hausinger again last night? They said his Dad was at the game on Friday. I'd like to know if it was a coach's decision he has been really loose with the puck lately.
        Tully Rink Rat
        Youngstar
        UML Class of 09

Comment

Comment

Game highlights:
            https://youtu.be/mcWjxN2Ad84

Comment

Big weekend in HE standings and our pairwise ranking.

Comment

Well it's been a tough 2 weeks, 2 points out of 8 during that stretch.....and those two points were a supreme gift.

Just a few observations and general thoughts.

1. Recruiting/Scoring What is going on with recruiting this year? Where are the future scorers to augment the Freshman class? I know we only have three seniors moving on.......but we definately need some additional offensive dynamics and skill. It does not appear that those gaps in scoring and skill are being addressed by the current level of recruiting. I think our reliance on non-USHL recruits in the prior 3 classes (Soph - Senior) has limited our success the last few years. This years recruiting class seems like a success, as Freshman are at the top of our scoring leaders. We were riding high with success (3 HEA championships, NCAA Tournament appearances) and could not convert that success into recruiting wins. Kind of disapponited to know the Northeastern has 4 of the top 7 USHL scorers being added to their lineup next year, or that even Merrimack has 5 projected NHL draft picks on their current list of recruits. With the prowess of BC, BU, Providence and now UMass-Amherst in recruiting, plus the strength of UCONN and perenial powers like UHN and Maine we are destined to fall further behind in the HEA hierarcy. I applaud the success of the academic achievements of the hockey program but count me as somewhat disappointed as to where we are hockey wise. Ww are no longer NCAA tornament worthy which is now the bar to guage success as are appearances in the HEA final four. It's sad to realize that we have only one player currently with 10+ goals, last year we had 3, the year before that 2, while in the freshman year of the current senior class we had six (6) 10+ goals scorers and then freshman Kenny Hausinger had 9 that year. Generally when the program had success we had 5-6 plus 10+ goals scorers. Who functions as the offense coach, the sad state of our offense is the pitiful nature of our power play....slow in puck movement, woeful in finding space within the defenses we face and just failing to generate shots......not even good scoring opportunities.

2. Defense/Team speed. The defense was continually beaten by Amherst this past weekend. Does our system structure need revamping? is coaching up to speed? Is the skill set or desire lacking? We were continally beaten to pucks and outhustled this past weekend as evidenced by the large shot disparity by UMass-Amherst these last two games. In a word it was brutal. As a cynic, it appears that UMass-Amherst now plays with the grit and determination Lowell was known for. Lowell has now become what UMass Amherst was....overmatched, outhustled, out skilled, out-coached and out-recruited. A sad role reversal.

3. Goaltending Kudos to Tyler Wall. He has been immense. He alone however cannot save us. Hopefully the goaltenders in the mix next year will have a similar skill set as Wall, as if not the season is going to be a long one and the Tsongas Center is going to become a much quieter place.

We are now close to the phrase....better luck next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
                  It was the hit on Sodogren in the third period about 30 seconds before the line brawl. It looked like a charge since the UMass player appeared to leave his feet before contact was made. His stick made contact with what looked like Connor's neck.

The issue I have with last night is UMass having a 6th guy on the ice during a line brawl. Tell me that wasn't intentional by Carvel, real cheap move on their part.

Lowell showed great mettle all weekend and Tyler did his best to keep us in the game last night. UMass just rolls deeper than us when it comes to skill. We don't have a player that can match what John Leonard did last night.

The haphazard goaltending from UMass makes me think we can beat them again if we have to face them in the playoffs.
                  Turns out it was a hit to the chest not the neck as they were saying. Still, it must have looked bad because the radio guy was almost inarticulate he was so mad

Comment

• Originally posted by Chiefof78 View Post
                    Well it's been a tough 2 weeks, 2 points out of 8 during that stretch.....and those two points were a supreme gift.

1. Recruiting/Scoring What is going on with recruiting this year? Where are the future scorers to augment the Freshman class? I know we only have three seniors moving on.......but we definately need some additional offensive dynamics and skill. It does not appear that those gaps in scoring and skill are being addressed by the current level of recruiting. I think our reliance on non-USHL recruits in the prior 3 classes (Soph - Senior) has limited our success the last few years. This years recruiting class seems like a success, as Freshman are at the top of our scoring leaders. We were riding high with success (3 HEA championships, NCAA Tournament appearances) and could not convert that success into recruiting wins. Kind of disapponited to know the Northeastern has 4 of the top 7 USHL scorers being added to their lineup next year, or that even Merrimack has 5 projected NHL draft picks on their current list of recruits. With the prowess of BC, BU, Providence and now UMass-Amherst in recruiting, plus the strength of UCONN and perenial powers like UHN and Maine we are destined to fall further behind in the HEA hierarcy. I applaud the success of the academic achievements of the hockey program but count me as somewhat disappointed as to where we are hockey wise. Ww are no longer NCAA tornament worthy which is now the bar to guage success as are appearances in the HEA final four. It's sad to realize that we have only one player currently with 10+ goals, last year we had 3, the year before that 2, while in the freshman year of the current senior class we had six (6) 10+ goals scorers and then freshman Kenny Hausinger had 9 that year. Generally when the program had success we had 5-6 plus 10+ goals scorers. Who functions as the offense coach, the sad state of our offense is the pitiful nature of our power play....slow in puck movement, woeful in finding space within the defenses we face and just failing to generate shots......not even good scoring opportunities.

2. Defense/Team speed. The defense was continually beaten by Amherst this past weekend. Does our system structure need revamping? is coaching up to speed? Is the skill set or desire lacking? We were continally beaten to pucks and outhustled this past weekend as evidenced by the large shot disparity by UMass-Amherst these last two games. In a word it was brutal. As a cynic, it appears that UMass-Amherst now plays with the grit and determination Lowell was known for. Lowell has now become what UMass Amherst was....overmatched, outhustled, out skilled, out-coached and out-recruited. A sad role reversal.

3. Goaltending Kudos to Tyler Wall. He has been immense. He alone however cannot save us. Hopefully the goaltenders in the mix next year will have a similar skill set as Wall, as if not the season is going to be a long one and the Tsongas Center is going to become a much quieter place.

So on the money

Comment

• Originally posted by Chiefof78 View Post

This guy has it figured out u agree Turk

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefof78 View Post

Good post. I've been talking about the lack of using our success for our recruiting for a while. This year's freshman class is legit, as it has more than one player that's standing out. We've not had too many of those over the past 4/5 years, which is where we're hurting badly. PC and NU immediately went out and recruited the 4*+ kids once they started hitting their stride. We chose to stay with what got us here, but that only works if the other teams are doing the same. If they're upping their game, we have to as well.
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                          Good post. I've been talking about the lack of using our success for our recruiting for a while. This year's freshman class is legit, as it has more than one player that's standing out. We've not had too many of those over the past 4/5 years, which is where we're hurting badly. PC and NU immediately went out and recruited the 4*+ kids once they started hitting their stride. We chose to stay with what got us here, but that only works if the other teams are doing the same. If they're upping their game, we have to as well.
                          Everyone very quite is the end near have not seen much lately unh another tough one yup it’s at home Friday lol so brutal at home games thanks for TW great year

Comment

We can play the what if game all day long

But what if Ryan Lohin had stayed for his senior year? I hate to say this, but we just don't have that "guy" this year. I'm not going to put Ryan on the same pedestal as a John Leonard, but you need a guy who can score in crunch time. How many one goal/tie games have we played this year?

Feels like a lot of our goals are coming from high percentage areas only. Also feels like we are getting the puck to that high percentage area a lot and then not turning it into a shot on goal. The puck just sits there or gets lost in the sea of bodies and gets cleared away.

I don't think my hypothetical of Ryan staying fixes some of the movement problems we have been seeing this year which I think comes more from the back end. But I do think it would have cured some of the puck retention problems we are having in the offensive zone. Having a player like that for teams to key on during a PK allow for better looks at the net as well.

We all knew going into this year this was a young team and with young teams come inconsistency. I carried over my attitude of this is another "bridge" year with the amount of freshmen we would be playing. But, to balance that out our best player is luckily is a goaltender which can keep us in most games.

What grinds my gears the most about this team is their breakout play during the power play. Where a guy will carry the puck to the red line and then drop it back to Chase on the blue line.

Northeastern ran the same breakout back when Dylan Sikura was there

Sikura's speed allowed him to stretch the ice and open up lanes to get the puck into the zone. Chase who is an OK skater gets pressured starting at the red line and has to dump the puck in the zone at the blue line most times and we lose retention. It's really frustrating trying to a watch Lowell execute a play that most coaches know how to defend against and has not worked since we implemented this system.
                            Tully Rink Rat
                            Youngstar
                            UML Class of 09

Comment

What grinds my gears the most about this team is their breakout play during the power play. Where a guy will carry the puck to the red line and then drop it back to Chase on the blue line.
                              I'm not a fan of this either but it seems like it's the new fad in hockey. Even some of the NHL are doing it.

Comment

Or as we like to call it in 106, "the Kapla."

Comment

Working...
                                X