Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019 and Beyond: Something Something Three True Outcomes....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2019 and Beyond: Something Something Three True Outcomes....

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Part of me wonders if he just misspoke. Another part of me wonders why it’s him explaining the call and not the director of umpires, or head of the umpires union, or the umpires themselves as they did with the obstruction call in the Boston-STL series a few years ago.
    Also, he may just be an idiot. These guys show again and again that when outside the very, very narrow confines of endlessly repeated situations, they are, in the end, jocks.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Wonderful throwback moment from the best Twitter handle in history.

Comment

They were discussing the legality of the protest. It was determined to be a judgement call and therefore could not be protested.
        I figured that. I just don't know what it took so long. It took me three seconds to realize it was a judgement call and thus can't be reviewable.

I didn’t realize the running lane rule was so little known. That extra stripe down the first line isn’t just for decoration. Stay in that lane and you’re immune to interference.
        I understand that. On the surface, it's the right call. Logically, your brain gets twisted.

On an aside, I'm surprised they didn't start showing the replays of the infamous Reggie Jackson hip check of the throw from second to first to "break" up a double play. And then watch Lasorda go absolutely ape sh*t, comparing that to Martinez.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Here's my breakdown of that play and why it's correct:

First of all, the "Runner's Lane". Starts at the 45' mark and extends all the way to the "immediate vicinity" of the base. The runner must have BOTH feet inside the lane. "Inside" means that part of the foot is on or inside the line.

The act of "Runner's Lane Interference" (RLI) occurs when the Batter Runner (BR) hinders or impedes the fielder's ability to field a "True throw" at 1st base by being outside the running lane. "True throw" meaning that the throw is one that would reasonably be caught by the 1st baseman under normal circumstances. Any sort of Interference play in baseball hinges around the phrase "hinder, impede, or confuse". Just keep those 1st two words in mind.

The key thing here is that everyone is focusing on Turner hitting the mitt/ball in the area of the base. What no one is commenting on is that Turner NEVER had both feet in the lane at any point. Why this is important is that him running to the inside (fair territory) is that the runner being there can be interpreted as impeding the fielders ability to cleanly track and catch that throw. The fielder should NOT have to look around or through a runner who is down the line. If you look at how Gurriel tried to field the ball, it wasn't exactly "conventional". His positioning is off and that probably aided in making it look like he was impeded. It's not just the moment of the catch that needs to be considered. It's his ability to field a "true throw" and the entire time he may be affected by those actions.

Turner also didn't do himself any favors by telegraphing this play by running all 90 feet in fair territory. If he was in the lane until his last step and then moved to the EXACT same positioning where the ball/Gurriel got him, he stands a good chance at getting away with this. He put himself in a trouble area for so long, it gives the fielder the benefit of the doubt on a play like this.
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            The fielder should NOT have to look around or through a runner who is down the line.
            I agree, nor should he, when the throw is coming from halfway down the third base line. Unless he finds the catcher so stunning he cannot takes his eyes off him.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              I agree, nor should he, when the throw is coming from halfway down the third base line. Unless he finds the catcher so stunning he cannot takes his eyes off him.
              The runner being in an area he shouldn't be is a distraction that puts the fielder at a disadvantage. That's all that is needed.
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Josh Hamilton arrested for alleged child abuse.

The events from the affidavit are not great.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ry-to-a-child/
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Josh Hamilton arrested for alleged child abuse.

The events from the affidavit are not great.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ry-to-a-child/
                  That dude needs some serious help.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

There's a dam good game going on right now.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And just like that...
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

And Washington is threatening to blow it open.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

LOB: Hou 9 Was 1
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            LOB: Hou 9 Was 1
                            After that inning, Washington has left 3 on base.

Altuve and Bregman due up for HOU in the 7th.
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Don't know if this has been discussed, but can anyone recall a 7-game series where all wins were on the road?

Comment

So I've got the game on ESPN radio, and now I'm nervous.

Houston is getting LOUD.

Comment

Working...
                                X