Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019 and Beyond: Something Something Three True Outcomes....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2019 and Beyond: Something Something Three True Outcomes....

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    It would be interesting to see certain analytics, like WHIP and such. ERA is overated a little. W-L is definitely overrated. I think he's a lower-end "in" but he should be in. He's along the lines of Bert, without taking a closer look.
    I'm curious how people reconcile stats like WHIP with the fact that pitchers like Morris threw a ton more innings than pitchers of today. Not only would that lead to a more tired arm towards the end of the game but the same batters faced you more times per game. Morris threw 175 complete games in his career. He also topped 240 innings 10 times in his career including at age 37. Aside from maybe Verlander is there anybody today who could even attempt this without their arms falling off? I never pitched in the majors myself so will defer to anyone out here who has, but it seems to me being in the game in the 9th inning and having to face Reggie Jackson, Rod Carew or George Brett for the 4th or 5th time after having thrown 130 pitches might have an effect on your WHIP or ERA that doesn't happen if you come out with 1 out in the 6th inning and turn the game over to the bullpen.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...orrija02.shtml
    Last edited by Rover; 04-29-2020, 08:10 AM.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

A single pitch today is far different than a pitch in the 90s. It’s much more damaging.

You can’t really compare IP between eras. Fat drunks like Ruth could be great pitchers a hundred years ago. Batting practice today is probably more difficult to hit.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        A single pitch today is far different than a pitch in the 90s. It’s much more damaging.

You can’t really compare IP between eras. Fat drunks like Ruth could be great pitchers a hundred years ago. Batting practice today is probably more difficult to hit.
        It's true pitches are now arm destroyers but, mandatory: when Ruth was young and a pitcher he wasn't the fat slob he was as a power hitter. He was actually trim and an excellent athlete.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          It's true pitches are now arm destroyers but, mandatory: when Ruth was young and a pitcher he wasn't the fat slob he was as a power hitter. He was actually trim and an excellent athlete.
          Thank you. I was about to jump all over dx. The ignorance some people have towards Ruth is amazing.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

meh
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

meh
              Hardly matters anyway.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it again. Watch "Fastball" documentary. I bet today's coaches would recoil on numbers of innings pitched and how past pitchers pitched.

IIRC, Nolan hit his fastest pitch ever in the NINTH INNING of a game, and well past the current (accepted) 100 pitch count.

Edit: not calling you out, this post is prob most relevant......
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Mariners part 5: Ichiro quotes, A-Rod, the 116-win season, and Mike Blowers is a witch, burn him.

"Like an astronaut who brought his wallet." I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6AI_FJWZPY
                  Last edited by Twitch Boy; 05-01-2020, 07:28 PM. Reason: I can count about as well as CDPHE
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    Mariners part 5: Ichiro quotes, A-Rod, the 116-win season, and Mike Blowers is a witch, burn him.

"Like an astronaut who brought his wallet." I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6AI_FJWZPY
                    Fun fact: Ichiro did a stretching routine in right field after every pitch. After. Every. Pitch. By August you could see where they had to replace the sod in right field where Ichiro stood.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      Fun fact: Ichiro did a stretching routine in right field after every pitch. After. Every. Pitch. By August you could see where they had to replace the sod in right field where Ichiro stood.
                      This surprises me precisely zero percent.

"What's your dog's name?" "He hasn't given me permission to tell you."

Shine on you crazy diamond.

ETA: I half wonder if (no offense intended here) autism/ASD was in play for Ichiro.
                      Last edited by Twitch Boy; 05-01-2020, 08:23 PM.
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Really disappointed he didn't touch on Ichiro being the best Latin American baseball player in history. Ichiro realized the latin ball players were like him: didn't know English well at first, new customs, new faces, and not many of "your own kind." So he learned Spanish just so he could trash talk them. And they embraced him as one of their own. There was a photo from, I want to say one of the all-star games, of only the latin ballplayers. And there is Ichiro right in the middle of it, they included him.

Also, Ichiro learned English well, but continued to use a translator to ensure his tone/words were consistant. He was quoted as saying when he talks baseball, he speaks from the heart, and doesn't want to mix words, despite his conversational English being decent.

Man, this series is making me realize how much the M's meant to me.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it again. Watch "Fastball" documentary. I bet today's coaches would recoil on numbers of innings pitched and how past pitchers pitched.

IIRC, Nolan hit his fastest pitch ever in the NINTH INNING of a game, and well past the current (accepted) 100 pitch count.

Edit: not calling you out, this post is prob most relevant......
                          Verlander's like that too.

If he's throwing 95-96 to start, he's not on, he's pushing hard to compensate, and he'll burn out by the 6th.

If he's throwing 91-92 to start...look out below. He'll be firing 98 by the 8th.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Really disappointed he didn't touch on Ichiro being the best Latin American baseball player in history. Ichiro realized the latin ball players were like him: didn't know English well at first, new customs, new faces, and not many of "your own kind." So he learned Spanish just so he could trash talk them. And they embraced him as one of their own. There was a photo from, I want to say one of the all-star games, of only the latin ballplayers. And there is Ichiro right in the middle of it, they included him.

Also, Ichiro learned English well, but continued to use a translator to ensure his tone/words were consistant. He was quoted as saying when he talks baseball, he speaks from the heart, and doesn't want to mix words, despite his conversational English being decent.

Man, this series is making me realize how much the M's meant to me.
                            The Mariners: everyone's second team.

Only thing stopping me from embracing them is the fact that the White Sox were my team on Triple Play '96 on Genesis and Frank Thomas was a guaranteed one-swing HR if you set the camera to sky view.

Comment

Working...
                            X