Re: UMD 2019-20 Season Thread

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
      Based on????
      Well, as for yesterday's game, based on having:

4 former US U18 players
      2 US National Team players
      1 former CAN U18 player
      1 CAN National Team Development player

vs BSU's having none of the above that I'm aware of, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        Well, as for yesterday's game, based on having:

4 former US U18 players
        2 US National Team players
        1 former CAN U18 player
        1 CAN National Team Development player

vs BSU's having none of the above that I'm aware of, but correct me if I'm wrong.
        Langei and DeGeorge both former USA players for BSU. But, yes, not as deep of a roster as UMD. A great Beaver upset!

Comment

BSU 2 - UMD 1 Final and Sweep.

I rest my case. Crowell has work to do and fast it seems to me if she doesn't want a repeat of last season.

Congrats to BSU:

http://www.bsubeavers.com/whockey/ne...th-2-1-effort/

Comment

UMD downs MU 4-1

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/10...ournament.aspx

Comment

'Dogs down Colgate 3-1.

https://chawomenshockey.com/sidearms...hockey/summary

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/10...r-colgate.aspx
              Last edited by Blackbeard; 10-26-2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

'Dogs sweep SCSU...and start scoring some goals:

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/11...state-6-0.aspx

Comment

OSU 1 - UMD 0 after two.

Neither team looking very much like they had ever played together before until about 30 seconds before OSU's goal.

They caught the 'Dogs on a change and had an open net to Rooney's right and I thought it was in but Rooney made a great save.

About 30 seconds later they made no mistake and took the lead.

Until then neither team could mount anything that resembled a flowing offensive attack...mostly choppy broken play.

The 'Dogs spent about 30 seconds of a power play trying to get out of the neutral zone. Not too impressive. This is the middle of November.

Klein had a nice individual effort getting passed two OSU defenders in close and rang it off the post/crossbar. Another similar play occurred earlier.

And OSU hit the post once as well.

Comment

OSU 3 - UMD 1 final.

The 'Dogs came alive in the third and their second power play was substantially better than the first but although they created multiple opportunities they failed to capitalize...other than once with both teams at full strength when I had walked away for about 30 seconds so I don't know what lead to their goal and OSU doesn't have replays...or is it that Flo Hockey doesn't have replays?

So, where were the third period 'Dogs in the first two?

With about 7 minutes left in the game after finally scoring UMD took a seemingly unnecessary penalty and OSU took advantage of it 7 seconds in.

They later scored an EN with Rooney on the bench for the extra attacker.

Really good sized crowd and the place looks like it has had a face lift with the help of a few buckets of paint.

Lookin' good.

(Forgot to mention...Skaggs with both goals for OSU).
                    Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-15-2019, 10:59 PM.

Comment

OSU 1 - UMD 0 after two.

Neither team looking very much like they had ever played together before until about 30 seconds before OSU's goal.

They caught the 'Dogs on a change and had an open net to Rooney's right and I thought it was in but Rooney made a great save.

About 30 seconds later they made no mistake and took the lead.

Until then neither team could mount anything that resembled a flowing offensive attack...mostly choppy broken play.
                      I was a bit more generous over in the Buckeye thread. Could be that most of my Bulldog memories are based on the third period...

The 'Dogs spent about 30 seconds of a power play trying to get out of the neutral zone. Not too impressive. This is the middle of November.
                      Also, keep in the mind that when one team is bottled up in the neutral zone, that can be perceived as great defense & a great kill from the opponent's point of view.

Klein had a nice individual effort getting passed two OSU defenders in close and rang it off the post/crossbar. Another similar play occurred earlier.

And OSU hit the post once as well.
                      Which I'd cite as evidence of a tightly contested game, one that was genuinely fun to watch. The Bulldog forwards, especially the top line, looked plenty dangerous to me. Maybe Hockey is always better in person?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Also, keep in the mind that when one team is bottled up in the neutral zone, that can be perceived as great defense & a great kill from the opponent's point of view.
                        Yes, that wasn't lost on me but with UMD's lack of consistency over the last couple of years and with some of the individual talent that they have I consciously chose to focus on that end of the ice, with all due respect to OSU.

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Which I'd cite as evidence of a tightly contested game, one that was genuinely fun to watch. The Bulldog forwards, especially the top line, looked plenty dangerous to me. Maybe Hockey is always better in person?
                        I agree that it was a tightly contested game but from where I sat during the first two periods it was at a very low level. (One could argue that that was due to each team's defensive play at breaking up the other team's efforts in the middle of the rink). The third period was completely different and that one, I thought, was fun to watch. More like a hockey game.

So, tell me, did the place get a face lift or was it just my imagination?

And forgot to mention, really decent play by play, too.

Comment

Yes, that wasn't lost on me but with UMD's lack of consistency over the last couple of years and with some of the individual talent that they have I consciously chose to focus on that end of the ice, with all due respect to OSU.

I agree that it was a tightly contested game but from where I sat during the first two periods it was at a very low level. (One could argue that that was due to each team's defensive play at breaking up the other team's efforts in the middle of the rink). The third period was completely different and that one, I thought, was fun to watch. More like a hockey game.

And forgot to mention, really decent play by play, too.
                          Looks like bright white paint and new bulbs

Some of UMD problems seems,at times, TOO much individual,

Play by play is okay...wouldn't mind if there was a little less gushing over players' past accomplishments and stay more on present game play that is taking place..
                          If you ever hear these guys call a gopher game, you might want to wear hip-waders, it tends to get very deep,(unless you are a mn fan)

Comment

Originally posted by mnwis View Post
                            If you ever hear these guys call a gopher game, you might want to wear hip-waders, it tends to get very deep,(unless you are a mn fan)
                            Now that's funny, really funny. Haha.

Comment

OSU 2 - UMD 1 in OT.

Missed the game but watched some of it via video replay.

Way better game from what I saw than last night's game.

Close but no cigar for the 'Dogs this weekend...just a 2 buck cupie doll.

Congratulations to the Bucks. These teams appear to be extremely evenly matched, at least for now.

The 'Dogs getting their offence consistently into 3rd and 4th gear for next weekend would be a welcomed improvement.

Comment

That's perfectly fair. As I've posted many times over the years, we're all heavily influenced by our particular vantage points. Sometimes by choice, some times involuntarily so. Other thoughts on why we perceived Friday's game differently:

1. Forced errors & smart dump-ins aren't "the beautiful game" in the sense of Brazilian soccer. But hard work and intelligent play are beautiful things. Much of Friday's game was controlled by the defenses, but not because of laziness or bad choices by the offenses. Both teams knew the importance of this weekend's games; both had lots of jump.

2. My 3 Stars posts, by design, are like a joint awards banquet. As such, I typically find a way to declare the glass to be full. I have no objection to intelligent criticism; it's just not the gig I've chosen for myself on USCHO. As such, I fully expect that other observers of the same game may see a "half full" glass, even as I'm describing a full one. It was, however, startling to see a poster I respect describe the glass as completely empty for two periods! On reflection, I probably got a little carried away with my story line this time.

3. Media Timeouts: At the OSU Ice Rink, we've been using the full complement of media timeouts since that become an option. At first, I thought the extra timeouts really chopped up the game. At this point, I'm used to them. I'm not sure what UMD does in this regard. But if the media timeouts aren't the norm for you, that could easily lead to a very different perception.

Again, the vantage point thing. During the parts of the game you didn't like, OSU had a definite edge in Shots. During the part you liked, UMD had the majority of the shots. Your comments certainly go well beyond that, but I do think it's part of the story.

A more subtle factor is Line Match-Ups. In the early going, the first lines spent a lot of time going head-to-head, frustrating each other. Later in the game, the top lines were getting more "favorable" match-ups, thus opening up the game a good bit.

There was a major cosmetic make-over at the start of the 2018-19 season. In other words, immediately following the Frozen Four appearance. The new paint & decor were immediately noticeable to me; it turned out really well. A bit of a wow factor at first sight. But at the start of the current year? Can't say I noticed anything more than normal upkeep. Maybe that's just me taking something for granted. But I'm wondering if you missed the visuals of last year's series in Columbus -- and therefore experienced the Fall 2018 updates as new.

Close but no cigar for the 'Dogs this weekend...just a 2 buck cupie doll.
                                Kewpie Doll, but Yes. At the carnival 1 of 6 points is definitely a Kewpie Doll, not the Giant Panda.

Congratulations to the Bucks. These teams appear to be extremely evenly matched, at least for now.
                                Thanks & Yes. And that's my final explanation for the disparate perceptions. We both know the long term history of these two programs. Equal talent is pleasing to the OSU eye, disconcerting to the UMD eye.

Comment

Working...
                                X