X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge: The Banana Bread Is Running Out

s'upp y'all
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!
      Good Morning, Mookie!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Back from the DMV to show them all sorts of things so that I can get a new driver's license and from the bank where I have a safety deposit box so that I can put several of these things back in the safe.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good Morning Lodge!

Back amongst the real world. Spent the last week going back and forth to a conference. So fatigued I was in a fugue state. Yesterday was catch up day and now I have to organize myself for the rest of the week.

Comment

Whichever moron it was who thought that painting good wood for use as trim was a passable idea should be drawn and quartered. What a PITA to deal with making that stuff presentable again. I'll paint a full wall any day of the week over dealing with trim.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Whichever moron it was who thought that painting good wood for use as trim was a passable idea should be drawn and quartered. What a PITA to deal with making that stuff presentable again. I'll paint a full wall any day of the week over dealing with trim.
              this

Comment

There were several houses I looked at years ago that had done that. I passed on a couple because I knew it was going to be thousands of dollars or hundreds of hours to fix. Not like new floors or carpet, which potentially retain some value. Trim retains almost none and it's entirely intrinsic. And it's not like painting a room, which is only a dozen or two hours.

I asked a few of the realtors why the owners had painted the wood. None had a good answer. That wasn't for the current seller but the realtors. Because no one in their right mind should EVER paint trim.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  There were several houses I looked at years ago that had done that. I passed on a couple because I knew it was going to be thousands of dollars or hundreds of hours to fix. Not like new floors or carpet, which potentially retain some value. Trim retains almost none and it's entirely intrinsic. And it's not like painting a room, which is only a dozen or two hours.

I asked a few of the realtors why the owners had painted the wood. None had a good answer. That wasn't for the current seller but the realtors. Because no one in their right mind should EVER paint trim.
                  I've never dealt with it before, and just assumed it was junk wood that somebody was hiding. One of the prior owners of my house had painted the walls of what's to become the nursery a dark/forest green, and was far too sloppy about it. Add to that, I started to notice that the rest of the trim in the house (all painted white) was done with by some slacker or another. The paint coat was thin, and you could see some of the wood behind it, but I digress. In prepping to paint the trim in the nursery, I wanted to take some of the dark green spillage off the trim so as to not require 3+ coats. I find it's old oak trim, as in it's good wood from before they started giving trees like these their growth hormones. Lots of grain lines, showing slow growth. Some people have no respect for what's good in the world of wood. This stuff would be through-the-roof expensive now at a woodworking store, and you couldn't even find it in a Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menard's. And it's all been ruined by some jerk applying white paint.

Also, I'm told there are ways of taking the trim pieces off and replacing them after having repainted them. New nails would be needed, but I don't have the space to dedicate to something like that in December. I really wish we had been able to purchase this house in early July instead of late October.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I've never dealt with it before, and just assumed it was junk wood that somebody was hiding. One of the prior owners of my house had painted the walls of what's to become the nursery a dark/forest green, and was far too sloppy about it. Add to that, I started to notice that the rest of the trim in the house (all painted white) was done with by some slacker or another. The paint coat was thin, and you could see some of the wood behind it, but I digress. In prepping to paint the trim in the nursery, I wanted to take some of the dark green spillage off the trim so as to not require 3+ coats. I find it's old oak trim, as in it's good wood from before they started giving trees like these their growth hormones. Lots of grain lines, showing slow growth. Some people have no respect for what's good in the world of wood. This stuff would be through-the-roof expensive now at a woodworking store, and you couldn't even find it in a Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menard's. And it's all been ruined by some jerk applying white paint.

Also, I'm told there are ways of taking the trim pieces off and replacing them after having repainted them. New nails would be needed, but I don't have the space to dedicate to something like that in December. I really wish we had been able to purchase this house in early July instead of late October.
                    Well, does it really matter if you leave it as is for now? the baby won't care. Do it later when you can do it outside. Less chemicals in the air for Mum to be and easier.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with painted trim. I happen to like nice gloss white. To each their own I suppose...
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I like me some high quality trim.

Wait, I think we are talking about a two different things. I'll put my inner-mookie back into storage.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          I like me some high quality trim.

Wait, I think we are talking about a two different things. I'll put my inner-mookie back into storage.

Comment

s'upp y'all

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X