Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 D1 Scores

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Yours are almost my exact words to the person sitting next to me at the time. The Wisconsin fans behind us were all yelling for a penalty. It was not one, but as you wrote, "just her own momentum" at a fairly high speed. I'm glad she wasn't badly hurt.
    I've noticed that a lot of fans at women's games are easily confused by loud crashes into the boards. Women players master a skill that their male counterparts don't need: the ability to skate into the boards in front of an opposing player to cut her off without running into her directly. Plenty of folks in the crowd think that it's a check when it happens, but it's not. That's not quite what happened on this play, but it was similar. The two players skated hard, were engaged with each other, and ran into the boards next to each other. It's unfortunate that Bowlby went down, though I also thought it was a ridiculously quick whistle to stop the play.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Geez, you guys, watch the video when you get a chance. The sequence starts with 6:15 left in the second period. Bowlby crosses over on Skaja, has a half-step on her and 'inside position' to get the puck. Skaja puts her elbow into Bolwby's back and pushes her into the boards hard enough that Bolwby has trouble getting up, such that the refs have to blow the whistle. It's a check, from behind, into the boards. If that's not a penalty, what is?
      I've watched the replay. Let's just say that I think you are drastically misrepresenting what happened. There's no elbow in the back. None. Both players try to push each other, and Skaja's forearm to Bowlby's shoulder, from the side, knocks her off balance, but the damage is entirely from Bowlby's own momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
        I've watched the replay. Let's just say that I think you are drastically misrepresenting what happened. There's no elbow in the back. None. Both players try to push each other, and Skaja's forearm to Bowlby's shoulder, from the side, knocks her off balance, but the damage is entirely from Bowlby's own momentum.
        Yes, Bowlby uses her back to push against Skaja's elbow.

Geez!

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
          I didn't actually see the game, but I am going to have to go with Eeyore on this one.
          Happened right in front of me, momentum for sure, no fault to assign.

Comment

There were two plays in the first period on the same shift where Gophers went to the net (one being Amy P. on her breakaway), got hooked, wound up wearing the Wisco' player's stick, and nothing was whistled. When those went uncalled, it was pretty obvious that the officials were trying to call as few penalties as possible. Fair enough. Minnesota got away with some things that would be infractions in other games, and so did the visitors. That probably hurt Wisconsin, as for the first time since 2010-11, it has the better power play. Although, I don't think it is as one-sided as the stats show, as UM has yet to play an LIU-B.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              There were two plays in the first period on the same shift where Gophers went to the net (one being Amy P. on her breakaway), got hooked, wound up wearing the Wisco' player's stick, and nothing was whistled. When those went uncalled, it was pretty obvious that the officials were trying to call as few penalties as possible. Fair enough. Minnesota got away with some things that would be infractions in other games, and so did the visitors. That probably hurt Wisconsin, as for the first time since 2010-11, it has the better power play. Although, I don't think it is as one-sided as the stats show, as UM has yet to play an LIU-B.
              Yeah, they should give UW's stats in two, or maybe three categories; including LIU and 'other than LIU'. When there are enough conference games played, just look at the conference stats. UW's power play went 0-for last week against Bemidji.

(I was looking at something else, but noticed that) the same pair of refs - Olson and Kaehler - had the UW at Ridder series last year. In the second game, they called nine penalties. If today was the over-reaction to that and they over-react again, we might get fifteen calls tomorrow.

Comment

Just got back into town and am watching the replay of the WisconSIN - Minnesota game. That first goal by Wisconsin from that sharp an angle below the dots is a something that with proper fundementals, just shouldn't happen.

I'll keep watching to see if the injustice done to the BADger player that is discussed is indeed "nonsense."
                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 11-02-2019, 10:23 PM.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Minnesota's first goal was a great impression by #21 of Wisconsin of a Minnesota defensemen turning over the puck.

Comment

Ok I've watched the Bowlby - Skaja play three times. Is there a bit of an elbow by Skaja? Yeah, maybe a bit of one, but that play was as most have described...Two battling for the puck and if anything that I could possibley add is that it is more embellishment on Bowlby's part than anything else. So far I much prefer the ref's letting the players play in this game.

Comment

My take on that, with the caveat that I watched none of it, is if you played in a game where zero penalties were called and you're complaining that a penalty wasn't called... you are nuts. I don't care if she took a swing at her skull with her stick like a baseball bat.
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Minnesota played pretty well. Scobee let in a couple she probably shouldn't have but did play well the rest of the game. How did Minnesota not score an empty net goal? Seems like they had 4 or 5 really good chances at it and failed on all of them.

I liked that the refs let all of the marginal calls go and let the players decide the game.
                        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 11-02-2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          I don't care if she took a swing at her skull with her stick like a baseball bat.

I think that the UW vs UM rivalry is still one where there is mutual respect, and it hasn't reached the point where people go all Bobby Clarke out there. UM and UMD back in the day, maybe.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Minnesota 1, Wisconsin 0 after a period. The play was pretty even, but, again, the game is being played at the Gophers preferred pace.

The refusal of the refs to call any penalties has reached absurd levels. It's way beyond, "I like the refs letting them play," and into "Grotesque dereliction of duty."

Comment

1st period in the books and Minnesota holds a 1-0 advantage. Both teams playing pretty well other than some early shaky moments from the Minnesota goaltender.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                The refusal of the refs to call any penalties has reached absurd levels. It's way beyond, "I like the refs letting them play," and into "Grotesque dereliction of duty."
                                No question the WisconSIN player that tripped a Minnesota player behind Minnesota's net should have been called. It resulted in a scoring chance for WisconSIN

Comment

Working...
                                X