• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

Earlier this afternoon Plattsburgh defeated Canton 9-1

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

There's a handful of games this week that may have significant impact on seeding/hosting in the NCAA tourney:

Tonight: Middlebury @ Plattsburgh - 7PM ET
      Friday 1/24 and Saturday 1/25: Colby @ Middlebury (7PM ET and 3:00 PM ET respectively) and St. Thomas vs GAC (@GAC 7:00 PM CT on Fri and @UST 2:00 PM CT on Sat)

If the season ended today this would be the field assuming today's conference winners win AQs and seeded 1-10 based on PWR:
      1 Plattsburgh (Pool A)
      2 Middlebury (Pool A)
      3 UW-Eau Claire (Pool C)
      4 Endicott (Pool A)
      5 Colby (Pool C)
      6 GAC (Pool A)
      7 Elmira (Pool A)
      8 UW-River Falls (Pool C)
      9 Adrian (Pool A)
      10 Norwich (Pool A)

First Round
      Norwich @ Colby
      River Falls @ GAC

Quarters:

Norwich/Colby @ Plattsburgh
      Endicott @ Middlebury
      GAC/River Falls @ Eau Claire
      Adrian @ Elmira

Would be an interesting tournament for sure if it turns out that way. I think some Plattsburgh fans would complain that if Norwich beats Colby and plays Plattsburgh while Midd hosts Endicott they're getting the short end of the stick but a championship team has to beat whoever is in front of them...

Comment

I came up with a few differences from you... here's my take as of right now...

1 Plattsburgh (Pool A)
        2 Middlebury (Pool A)
        3 UW-Eau Claire (Pool C) (3 PWR)
        4 Endicott (Pool A)
        5 Colby (Pool C) (5 PWR)
        6 GAC (Pool C ) (6 PWR)
        7 Adrian (Pool A)
        8 Norwich (Pool A)
        9 St. Thomas (Pool A)
        10 Manhattanville (Pool A)

This gets interesting with no Elmira. There will be a flight in the QF round (assuming they want to avoid a first round flight, which could necessitate another in the QF round)

First Round
        Manhattanville @ Endicott
        Norwich @ Colby

Quarters:

Manhattanville/Endicott @ Middlebury
        St, Thomas @ Eau Claire
        Adrian @ GAC

This would be an interesting tournament to put down on paper. Is there a way to have one of the first round games out west (where the seeds are lower (St. Thomas @ GAC) and have the winner play Eau Claire while Adrian is flown east (against Plattsburgh) for a QF match? Things will obviously change. The biggest change would be in the UCHC where if Elmira gets back on top, this whole exercise gets a lot easier!
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          I came up with a few differences from you... here's my take as of right now...

1 Plattsburgh (Pool A)
          2 Middlebury (Pool A)
          4 Endicott (Pool A)
          5 Colby (Pool C) (5 PWR)
          6 GAC (Pool C ) (6 PWR)
          7 Adrian (Pool A)
          8 Norwich (Pool A)
          9 St. Thomas (Pool A)

This gets interesting with no Elmira. There will be a flight in the QF round (assuming they want to avoid a first round flight, which could necessitate another in the QF round)

First Round
          Manhattanville @ Endicott
          Norwich @ Colby

Quarters:

Manhattanville/Endicott @ Middlebury
          St, Thomas @ Eau Claire
          Adrian @ GAC

This would be an interesting tournament to put down on paper. Is there a way to have one of the first round games out west (where the seeds are lower (St. Thomas @ GAC) and have the winner play Eau Claire while Adrian is flown east (against Plattsburgh) for a QF match? Things will obviously change. The biggest change would be in the UCHC where if Elmira gets back on top, this whole exercise gets a lot easier!
          Good catch regarding the field. But if the field is as in your post, I think they should go with St. Thomas @ GAC (9 @ 6) instead of Norwich @ Colby (8 @ 5) for the second first round game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

After one period Plattsburgh 2. Middlebury 0. SOG 14-1 Plattsburgh

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
              After one period Plattsburgh 2. Middlebury 0. SOG 14-1 Plattsburgh
              I was surprised when I saw the shot count given how much time was spend in Plattsburgh's end early in the period.

Plattsburgh added one more to make it 3-0 after 2.

Middlebury will have 1:52 of a power play left to start the third after Krauseneck gets called for a penalty while forechecking with 8 seconds left in the period.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                I was surprised when I saw the shot count given how much time was spend in Plattsburgh's end early in the period.

Plattsburgh added one more to make it 3-0 after 2.

Middlebury will have 1:52 of a power play left to start the third after Krauseneck gets called for a penalty while forechecking with 8 seconds left in the period.

Final 4-1 Plattsburgh on an ENG.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Plattsburgh finishes it off 4-1 with an ENG. They spent a lot of the third the same way they spent the early parts of the first period: trying to break out of their own zone and generate offensive opportunities when they did get forward.

Plattsburgh got a lot of great defensive effort from blue liners Benjamin, Kiraly and McArdle and forward Walker showcasing her special talent of blocking hard shots with her body. Great play offensively from Walker along with Unsworth and the current NEWHL Rookie of the Year favorite Boric.

Even in the 3 goal loss the Panthers were very impressive. Han made some great stops and Zumwinkle, Hendrikson and Vira stood out to be on defense.

If these two teams meet again in March it could be a classic.

Comment

Other action tonight:

- NEC beat Nichols 1-0. Sophomote goalie Cienna Wier made 57 saves in the shutout for her second win of the season and hopefully a contender for any NEHC Goalie of the Week award that might be given out.

- Hamline beat St. Benedict 5-2. Garin with 4 points and Simon with 3.

- Williams and St. Anselm skated to a 1-1 tie.

- Elmira was more effective shorthanded on the penalty kill than power play tonight, scoring two shorties during an 8-0 drubbing of Morrisville. RW Mordini led with 4 points and centers Crocker (HT) and Adams had 3.

- UNE beat USM 4-0 with starting center Jessie Scott pacing with 2 goals.

- Hamilton shutout Utica 6-0. Loh with 2 goals and 2 goals from the 4th line (Malley and Curry)

- Endicott shutout Wesleyan 3-0 including an ENG. Starting LW Meier with 2 points.

- Northland and Finlandia was close until midway through the 3rd when theh scored a shorty and added and ENG to finish w/ a 5-2 win.

- And on a night with multiple shorties and empty-netters across the league, Eau Claire's Abby Roeser said "why not both?" and scored a short-handed ENG with 55 seconds left to seal a 4-0 shutout over Augsburg in the last contest of the evening.

Comment

So, since I had a few minutes. I re-ran the field putting one of the first round games out west. This is what I came up with:

1 Plattsburgh (Pool A)
                      2 Middlebury (Pool A)
                      4 Endicott (Pool A)
                      5 Colby (Pool C) (5 PWR)
                      6 GAC (Pool C ) (6 PWR)
                      7 Adrian (Pool A)
                      8 Norwich (Pool A)
                      9 St. Thomas (Pool A)

First Round
                      St. Thomas @ GAC
                      Manhattanville @ Norwich

Quarters:

Norwich/Manhattanville @ Plattsburgh
                      Adrian @ Middlebury
                      Colby @ Endicott
                      St. Thomas/GAC @ UW Eau Claire

I feel like this is the better option than the first as seeds 1-4 all avoid the first round in this scenario.
                      Last edited by spwood; 01-22-2020, 01:46 PM.
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95
                      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Manhattanville has to play Naz on Friday and Elmira the Friday after that. Elmira doesn't have any conference opponents left in the regular season who should give them trouble. I'd wager the standings will look different after those two games.

It's been a long time since the Soaring Eagles have had to worry about winning their conference.

Comment

Manhattanville has to play Naz on Friday and Elmira the Friday after that. Elmira doesn't have any conference opponents left in the regular season who should give them trouble. I'd wager the standings will look different after those two games.

It's been a long time since the Soaring Eagles have had to worry about winning their conference.
                          Not that long...isn’t this only year 3 of Plattsburgh and Elmira being separated?

Elmira and Norwich going together in 2021-22 will be fun too...
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

True, but Elmira hasn't missed a tourney since 2012 (RIT's last season in DIII) and I can't remember when they weren't a likely Pool C contender.

Elmira and Norwich will make for some great conference games. Just hope there aren't more 0-0 ties in store.

Comment

True, but Elmira hasn't missed a tourney since 2012 (RIT's last season in DIII) and I can't remember when they weren't a likely Pool C contender.

Elmira and Norwich will make for some great conference games. Just hope there aren't more 0-0 ties in store.
                              I see what you were saying now...you meant it’s been a long time since Elmira HAD to win their league to get into the NCAA’s
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                                Elmira doesn't have any conference opponents left in the regular season who should give them trouble.

Elmira still has to play Nazareth again, to whom they've already lost this season. Then, will likely have to get past them in the tournament as well. Should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X