Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
Results 221 to 235 of 235

Thread: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

  1. #221
    gojackets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,953
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirlCanPlay View Post
    Not sure I got the point in the Weekend Wrap about UW River Falls improving their PairWise position. Before their weekend series, they were ranked 6th with .6290. At the moment they are ranked 6th with .6287. Am I not looking at this correctly?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    According to the article River Falls was 7th going in so either they made a mistake or you did.

  2. #222
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    4

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    Quote Originally Posted by gojackets View Post
    According to the article River Falls was 7th going in so either they made a mistake or you did.
    Fair comment. The intent of my post was not to call out mistakes. I am somewhat fascinated by PairWise, so I was merely seeking to understand. For instance, I take regular screenshots of the PairWise rankings and then look to see how outcomes of games affect the various teams' RPI scores. The data I was citing was taken from a screenshot Friday morning. On the prior Tuesday evening, RF was tied for 4th (.6284) with Endicott (.6344), which leads to a whole different question:

    What mechanism within PairWise leads to considering those two teams being tied for 4th, similar to the current PairWise having Endicott and Gustavus being tied for 4th where Endicott has an RPI of .6485 and GAC is at .6289, yet Hamilton is not tied with Amherst even though their scores are nearly identical at .6071 and .6070 respectively? Again, just seeking to understand. Thanks.

  3. #223
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    22

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    I wonít pretend to know how the pairwise works in its deepest roots, but I tend to believe itís the most fair way of doing things

  4. #224
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,608
    Quote Originally Posted by D3WomensHockey View Post
    I wonít pretend to know how the pairwise works in its deepest roots, but I tend to believe itís the most fair way of doing things
    +1

    At the end of the day, win your games. If you donít, the pairwise is the most fair system to pick the remaining three bids.

  5. #225
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,847

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirlCanPlay View Post
    Not sure I got the point in the Weekend Wrap about UW River Falls improving their PairWise position. Before their weekend series, they were ranked 6th with .6290. At the moment they are ranked 6th with .6287. Am I not looking at this correctly?
    RPI is updated dynamically, and includes results of opponents games and games by opponents' opponents. Perhaps when you looked, there was either a game in progress or a subsequent game that involved someone whose results counted
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  6. #226
    gojackets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,953
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirlCanPlay View Post
    Fair comment. The intent of my post was not to call out mistakes. I am somewhat fascinated by PairWise, so I was merely seeking to understand. For instance, I take regular screenshots of the PairWise rankings and then look to see how outcomes of games affect the various teams' RPI scores. The data I was citing was taken from a screenshot Friday morning. On the prior Tuesday evening, RF was tied for 4th (.6284) with Endicott (.6344), which leads to a whole different question:

    What mechanism within PairWise leads to considering those two teams being tied for 4th, similar to the current PairWise having Endicott and Gustavus being tied for 4th where Endicott has an RPI of .6485 and GAC is at .6289, yet Hamilton is not tied with Amherst even though their scores are nearly identical at .6071 and .6070 respectively? Again, just seeking to understand. Thanks.
    I know the Pairwise Rank isnít only dependent on RPI, there are other factors involved, which they must split in those comparisons...hence the tie.

  7. #227
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    4

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    Quote Originally Posted by gojackets View Post
    I know the Pairwise Rank isnít only dependent on RPI, there are other factors involved, which they must split in those comparisons...hence the tie.
    Thank you!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #228
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by gojackets View Post
    I know the Pairwise Rank isn’t only dependent on RPI, there are other factors involved, which they must split in those comparisons...hence the tie.
    I apologize if I'm restating things said by others but I wanted to try my hand at explaining it as I understand it:

    PWR is done by comparing every team against each other and each time they beat a team they get a point. Then they rank the teams by most points to lowest. To understand where a team is in PWR one should arrive at how they won or lost the comparison to all the other teams.

    Three criteria are used to compare each team to each other: win percentage against common opponents, head-to-head record and RPI. Most points are based on RPI alone because there were only 12 inter-region games in DIII this season, leaving a lot of 0-0 ties in both the winning % against common opponent and H2H criteria.

    Let's look at the top and bottom of the PWR:

    Plattsburgh currently has the maximum 66 points which means they beat every team when comparing criteria. Their RPI is the highest in the league so the only way someone can pick up a point on them is to have both of the other two criteria over them. No one can claim an outright win against them in head-to-head right now as they avenged their one loss to Midd. Also, no one can claim a better winning % against common opponents because the only other team to beat Midd is Hamilton and they also are 1-1 vs Midd.

    Alvernia has 0 points because they are last in RPI. This gives every team that has beaten them or hasn't played them an automatic point. The only team they go to a third criteria with is Anna Maria, and Anna Maria wins the comparison by having a better winning % against common opponents because they beat and tied King's whereas Alvernia lost to them 3 times.

    To understand why there are ties in PWR one would have to lay out the criteria to see who picks up points against who to see how they arrived at the same number of comparisons.

    With Endicott and GAC tied at 62 points it means they don't pick up points against 4 teams.

    For Endicott, they beat everyone in RPI except Plattsburgh, Eau Claire and Midd. Middlebury gets the point when the two compare because they beat them H2H on 1/11. Plattsburgh and Endicott haven't played so they tie H2H. Where the Cardinals pick up a point on them is that they are 4-1 against common opponents compared to Endicott's 0-2. Eau Claire gets their point on RPI alone because they and Endicott haven't played and have no common opponents. Other than the three teams ahead of them in RPI, the only team Endicott loses a point to is Norwich. Norwich's H2H and winning percentage against common opponents Southern Maine and Middlebury overcome Endicott's RPI advantage.

    For GAC they miss 4 points because they lose the one to one comparisons to the teams above and tied with them. Middlebury and Endicott get points on RPI alone because they have no other category to compare with GAC. Plattsburgh and Eau Claire beats the Gusties in both RPI and winning percentage against common opponents.
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-27-2020 at 11:34 AM.

  9. #229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    4

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    I apologize if I'm restating things said by others but I wanted to try my hand and explaining it as I understand it:

    PWR is done by comparing every team against each other and each time they beat a team they get a point. Then they rank the teams by most points to lowest. To understand where a team is in PWR one should arrive at how they won or lost the comparison to all the other teams.

    Three criteria are used to compare each team to each other: win percentage against common opponents, head-to-head record and RPI. Most points are based on RPI alone because there were only 12 inter-region games in DIII this season, leaving a lot of 0-0 ties in both winning % against common opponent and H2H.

    Let's look at the top and bottom of the PWR:

    Plattsburgh currently has the maximum 66 points which means they beat every team when comparing criteria. Their RPI is the highest in the league so the only way someone can pick up a point on them is to have both of the other two criteria over them. No one can claim an outright win against them in head-to-head right now as they avenged their one loss to Midd. Also, no one can claim a better winning % against common opponents because the only other team to beat Midd is Hamilton and they also are 1-1 vs Midd.

    Alvernia has 0 points because they are last in RPI. This gives every team that has beaten them or hasn't played them an automatic point. The only team they go to a third criteria with is Anna Maria, and Anna Maria wins the comparison by having a better winning % against common opponents because they beat and tied King's whereas Alvernia lost to them 3 times.

    To understand why there are ties in PWR one would have to lay out the criteria to see who picks up points against who to see how they arrived at the same number of comparisons.

    With Endicott and GAC tied at 62 points it means they don't pick up points against 4 teams.

    For Endicott, they beat everyone in RPI except Plattsburgh, Eau Claire and Midd. Middlebury gets the point when the two compare because they beat them H2H on 1/11. Plattsburgh and Endicott haven't played so they tie H2H. Where the Cardinals pick up a point on them is that they are 4-1 against common opponents compared to Endicott's 0-2. Eau Claire gets their point on RPI alone because they and Endicott haven't played and have no common opponents. Other than the three teams ahead of them in RPI, the only team Endicott loses a point to is Norwich. Norwich's H2H and winning percentage against common opponents Southern Maine and Middlebury overcome Endicott's RPI advantage.

    For GAC they miss 4 points because they lose the one to one comparisons to the teams above and tied with them. Middlebury and Endicott get points on RPI alone because they have no other category to compare with GAC. Plattsburgh and Eau Claire beats the Gusties in both RPI and winning percentage against common opponents.
    This is excellent. Gives practical explanations of the inner machinations. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #230
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,406

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    Oswego's Marano Campus Center Arena experienced a compressor issue and all the ice melted. What I'm seeing is Oswego is in the process of getting a portable compressor that runs on a generator to campus to make a new sheet. On the men's side of things, it's been announced that the SUNYAC semifinal set for Saturday is going to be played on Tuesday instead. There has been no announced plan of what they're doing with the NEWHL semifinal Morrisville @ Oswego that was also set for this coming Saturday...

  11. #231
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    6,088

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Oswego's Marano Campus Center Arena experienced a compressor issue and all the ice melted. What I'm seeing is Oswego is in the process of getting a portable compressor that runs on a generator to campus to make a new sheet. On the men's side of things, it's been announced that the SUNYAC semifinal set for Saturday is going to be played on Tuesday instead. There has been no announced plan of what they're doing with the NEWHL semifinal Morrisville @ Oswego that was also set for this coming Saturday...
    The women's game has now been moved to Tuesday at 3:00.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  12. #232
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    22

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    St. Maryís is beating St. Thomas 3-1 in the 3rd period of the MIAC ďplay-inĒ playoff game.

    Edit: St. Maryís wins 4-1.
    Last edited by D3WomensHockey; 02-27-2020 at 06:28 PM.

  13. #233
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,406

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    Eau Claire's power play carries the day as Eau Claire defeats Steven's Point 2-1 in the first WIAC semifinal. The Blugolds were 2 for 4 on the player advantage today.

  14. #234
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,406

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    No upsets in the 2 other DIII games as River Falls defeats Superior 1-0 and Adrian beat SNC 3-1.

  15. #235
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    22

    Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

    River Falls beats UW-Superior 1-0.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •