2019-20 D-III games / scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ThatGirlCanPlay View Post
    Fair comment. The intent of my post was not to call out mistakes. I am somewhat fascinated by PairWise, so I was merely seeking to understand. For instance, I take regular screenshots of the PairWise rankings and then look to see how outcomes of games affect the various teams' RPI scores. The data I was citing was taken from a screenshot Friday morning. On the prior Tuesday evening, RF was tied for 4th (.6284) with Endicott (.6344), which leads to a whole different question:

What mechanism within PairWise leads to considering those two teams being tied for 4th, similar to the current PairWise having Endicott and Gustavus being tied for 4th where Endicott has an RPI of .6485 and GAC is at .6289, yet Hamilton is not tied with Amherst even though their scores are nearly identical at .6071 and .6070 respectively? Again, just seeking to understand. Thanks.
    I know the Pairwise Rank isn’t only dependent on RPI, there are other factors involved, which they must split in those comparisons...hence the tie.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 D-III games / scores

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
      I know the Pairwise Rank isn’t only dependent on RPI, there are other factors involved, which they must split in those comparisons...hence the tie.
      Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by gojackets View Post
        I apologize if I'm restating things said by others but I wanted to try my hand at explaining it as I understand it:

PWR is done by comparing every team against each other and each time they beat a team they get a point. Then they rank the teams by most points to lowest. To understand where a team is in PWR one should arrive at how they won or lost the comparison to all the other teams.

Three criteria are used to compare each team to each other: win percentage against common opponents, head-to-head record and RPI. Most points are based on RPI alone because there were only 12 inter-region games in DIII this season, leaving a lot of 0-0 ties in both the winning % against common opponent and H2H criteria.

Let's look at the top and bottom of the PWR:

Plattsburgh currently has the maximum 66 points which means they beat every team when comparing criteria. Their RPI is the highest in the league so the only way someone can pick up a point on them is to have both of the other two criteria over them. No one can claim an outright win against them in head-to-head right now as they avenged their one loss to Midd. Also, no one can claim a better winning % against common opponents because the only other team to beat Midd is Hamilton and they also are 1-1 vs Midd.

Alvernia has 0 points because they are last in RPI. This gives every team that has beaten them or hasn't played them an automatic point. The only team they go to a third criteria with is Anna Maria, and Anna Maria wins the comparison by having a better winning % against common opponents because they beat and tied King's whereas Alvernia lost to them 3 times.

To understand why there are ties in PWR one would have to lay out the criteria to see who picks up points against who to see how they arrived at the same number of comparisons.

With Endicott and GAC tied at 62 points it means they don't pick up points against 4 teams.

For Endicott, they beat everyone in RPI except Plattsburgh, Eau Claire and Midd. Middlebury gets the point when the two compare because they beat them H2H on 1/11. Plattsburgh and Endicott haven't played so they tie H2H. Where the Cardinals pick up a point on them is that they are 4-1 against common opponents compared to Endicott's 0-2. Eau Claire gets their point on RPI alone because they and Endicott haven't played and have no common opponents. Other than the three teams ahead of them in RPI, the only team Endicott loses a point to is Norwich. Norwich's H2H and winning percentage against common opponents Southern Maine and Middlebury overcome Endicott's RPI advantage.

For GAC they miss 4 points because they lose the one to one comparisons to the teams above and tied with them. Middlebury and Endicott get points on RPI alone because they have no other category to compare with GAC. Plattsburgh and Eau Claire beats the Gusties in both RPI and winning percentage against common opponents.
        Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-27-2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
          I apologize if I'm restating things said by others but I wanted to try my hand and explaining it as I understand it:

PWR is done by comparing every team against each other and each time they beat a team they get a point. Then they rank the teams by most points to lowest. To understand where a team is in PWR one should arrive at how they won or lost the comparison to all the other teams.

Three criteria are used to compare each team to each other: win percentage against common opponents, head-to-head record and RPI. Most points are based on RPI alone because there were only 12 inter-region games in DIII this season, leaving a lot of 0-0 ties in both winning % against common opponent and H2H.

Let's look at the top and bottom of the PWR:

Plattsburgh currently has the maximum 66 points which means they beat every team when comparing criteria. Their RPI is the highest in the league so the only way someone can pick up a point on them is to have both of the other two criteria over them. No one can claim an outright win against them in head-to-head right now as they avenged their one loss to Midd. Also, no one can claim a better winning % against common opponents because the only other team to beat Midd is Hamilton and they also are 1-1 vs Midd.

Alvernia has 0 points because they are last in RPI. This gives every team that has beaten them or hasn't played them an automatic point. The only team they go to a third criteria with is Anna Maria, and Anna Maria wins the comparison by having a better winning % against common opponents because they beat and tied King's whereas Alvernia lost to them 3 times.

To understand why there are ties in PWR one would have to lay out the criteria to see who picks up points against who to see how they arrived at the same number of comparisons.

With Endicott and GAC tied at 62 points it means they don't pick up points against 4 teams.

For Endicott, they beat everyone in RPI except Plattsburgh, Eau Claire and Midd. Middlebury gets the point when the two compare because they beat them H2H on 1/11. Plattsburgh and Endicott haven't played so they tie H2H. Where the Cardinals pick up a point on them is that they are 4-1 against common opponents compared to Endicott's 0-2. Eau Claire gets their point on RPI alone because they and Endicott haven't played and have no common opponents. Other than the three teams ahead of them in RPI, the only team Endicott loses a point to is Norwich. Norwich's H2H and winning percentage against common opponents Southern Maine and Middlebury overcome Endicott's RPI advantage.

For GAC they miss 4 points because they lose the one to one comparisons to the teams above and tied with them. Middlebury and Endicott get points on RPI alone because they have no other category to compare with GAC. Plattsburgh and Eau Claire beats the Gusties in both RPI and winning percentage against common opponents.
          This is excellent. Gives practical explanations of the inner machinations. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oswego's Marano Campus Center Arena experienced a compressor issue and all the ice melted. What I'm seeing is Oswego is in the process of getting a portable compressor that runs on a generator to campus to make a new sheet. On the men's side of things, it's been announced that the SUNYAC semifinal set for Saturday is going to be played on Tuesday instead. There has been no announced plan of what they're doing with the NEWHL semifinal Morrisville @ Oswego that was also set for this coming Saturday...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              Oswego's Marano Campus Center Arena experienced a compressor issue and all the ice melted. What I'm seeing is Oswego is in the process of getting a portable compressor that runs on a generator to campus to make a new sheet. On the men's side of things, it's been announced that the SUNYAC semifinal set for Saturday is going to be played on Tuesday instead. There has been no announced plan of what they're doing with the NEWHL semifinal Morrisville @ Oswego that was also set for this coming Saturday...
              The women's game has now been moved to Tuesday at 3:00.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

St. Mary’s is beating St. Thomas 3-1 in the 3rd period of the MIAC “play-in” playoff game.

Edit: St. Mary’s wins 4-1.
                Last edited by D3WomensHockey; 02-27-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Eau Claire's power play carries the day as Eau Claire defeats Steven's Point 2-1 in the first WIAC semifinal. The Blugolds were 2 for 4 on the player advantage today.

Comment

No upsets in the 2 other DIII games as River Falls defeats Superior 1-0 and Adrian beat SNC 3-1.

Comment

River Falls beats UW-Superior 1-0.

Comment

Plattsburgh 3 Cortland 0
                        SOG 41-16 Plattsburgh
                        BUT, not the best effort by the Cards.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Down goes Hamline in OT, Augsburg the better team by 2-1 and will face Gustavus.

Do the Gusties need to win to make the Tourney?

Comment

Augsburg beats Hamline in OT to advance to face GAC in the MIAC final. Hamline is likely done as there's a lot of traffic in front for that last Pool C.

Also in MIAC action, GAC handled St. Mary's 4-1.

In the NESCAC: Amherst beats Conn College in OT, Middlebury beats Trinity, Colby beats Bowdoin and Hamilton beats Williams.

In the UCHC: William Smith defeats Naz on the road, Stevenson also beats host Neumann. Manhattanville blows out Chatham and Elmira beats Utica.

In the NEHC: Norwich drubs Plymouth State 10-0 and Suffolk and Southern Maine are tied at 1.

In the CHC: UNE defeated Nichols and Endicott leads Salve 3-0 after 2.

In the NCHA: St. Scholastica beat Aurora, Adrian shut out SNC and Lake Forest leads Concorda (WI) 2-1 at the start of the 3rd.

Comment

• Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
                              Down goes Hamline in OT, Augsburg the better team by 2-1 and will face Gustavus.

Right now they are 6th in the PWR. Probably still a good shot, but win to be sure.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post

I think if they need it they would earn a Pool C once River Falls and Eau Claire play each other for the WIAC championship one might fall enough to put GAC above the WIAC runner up. They would be in position for the last Pool C if the season ended right now but Augsburg was the MIAC Pool A. The picture should be clearer when the PWR updates after the final game.

They would be helped in that endeavor if Eau Claire, Middlebury and Plattsburgh win their conferences. Middlebury and Plattsburgh so they can secure their Pool A bids and not need Pool B. Eau Claire because GAC is currently closer to River Falls in PWR so a Eau Claire win probably puts GAC above them in PWR which they'll need if they also fall to the surging Augsburg team.
                                Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-29-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X