Minnesota State 2019-2020 Charging Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State 2019-2020 Charging Forward

Minnesota State has agreed to postpone their series with Lindenwood, originally set for this weekend, tentatively to Jan 31 and Feb 1. This will allow Lindenwood to try and have at least 1 healthy goalie instead of putting a forward in net like they did against Syracuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      Minnesota State has agreed to postpone their series with Lindenwood, originally set for this weekend, tentatively to Jan 31 and Feb 1. This will allow Lindenwood to try and have at least 1 healthy goalie instead of putting a forward in net like they did against Syracuse.
      A fine example of good sportsmanship!
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Agreed. I just saw that on the sched. Crossing my fingers LU ends up with a healthy goalie post Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          There was a clown Minnesota State fan in a Twitter thread about this arguing they should have tried to make LU play or forfeit because they need the wins...I don't see how 2 lopsided or forfeit non conference wins against LU would have improved anything for them...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            There was a clown Minnesota State fan in a Twitter thread about this arguing they should have tried to make LU play or forfeit because they need the wins...I don't see how 2 lopsided or forfeit non conference wins against LU would have improved anything for them...
            I can see both sides in this. In the purest sense, college sports are about competition, and there isn't much competition in playing a team that doesn't have a goalie. I get that. But the problem at this point is that Lindenwood is playing some teams without a goalie but not others. Three games against WCHA teams were either canceled or postponed, while in between the Lions played Syracuse.

I agree that there won't be much difference to the teams directly involved. But suppose that Ohio State and Clarkson were to finish very close in the PairWise for the final at-large berth. Clarkson played Syracuse twice, so those gift wins to the Orange make the Syracuse wins worth more in the RPI. Meanwhile, OSU plays SCSU and MSU a minimum of eight times, so if they wind up with fewer wins over Lindenwood, it can start to shift the comparison between Clarkson and OSU.

There isn't an easy answer regarding what should be done, but whatever it is, it should be done consistently.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Time for a change. You can’t keep going down this road, there are very good players on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                Time for a change. You can’t keep going down this road, there are very good players on this team.
                I don't know enough about the situation in Mankato, but are you talking about changing some lines up or a coaching change? I know this isn't going to make Maverick fans feel any better, but Coach Muzerall said after Friday's game that it was the best game she had seen our team play in her four seasons here. And Saturday's game was much more competitive than Friday's despite the 8-4 score. I understand your pain. Us Ohio State fans were there not that long ago.

Comment

Mainly the culture has to change. There are some very good players on this team but it seems like sometimes there is more of an emphasis on individual play and not a focus on team play.

When the Mavericks play as a team, they are tough to beat. The best teams in this league pass well and often. The Mavericks have a tendency to carry the puck too long, especially out of the D zone which creates more turnovers than opportunities.

Lots of talent on this team.
                  Last edited by agfire; 01-28-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Mainly the culture has to change. There are some very good players on this team but it seems like sometimes there is more of an emphasis on individual play and not a focus on team play.

When the Mavericks play as a team, they are tough to beat. The best teams in this league pass well and often. The Mavericks have a tendency to carry the puck too long, especially out of the D zone which creates more turnovers than opportunities.

Lots of talent on this team.
                    The WCHA as a whole can be defined the same way. If any team on a given night decides to play like a team they can beat anyone. If any team decides they want to be individuals and turn the puck over constantly, the result will be a loss. Especially from the back end. The top two teams are not immune to this either.

Comment

Mavericks up 2-0 on 3 shots on goal at the end of the 1st period. The game is being broadcast on Fox Sports North. 15-3 on shots in the 2nd so far with the Mavs on a power play.

3-0 now at the end of 2.

Final: 3-1 Mavs despite the 5 minute major called against them toward the end of the game.
                      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-08-2020, 04:14 PM. Reason: Go my alma mater!
                      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                        Mavericks up 2-0 on 3 shots on goal at the end of the 1st period. The game is being broadcast on Fox Sports North. 15-3 on shots in the 2nd so far with the Mavs on a power play.

3-0 now at the end of 2.

Final: 3-1 Mavs despite the 5 minute major called against them toward the end of the game.
                        And if you watched the game, they called the penalty off of a review. They still got it wrong. There was a discussion between refs and you could see the refs did not agree at all. The refs of the WCHA need to get rid of their rabbit ears and call the game.

Comment

And if you watched the game, they called the penalty off of a review. They still got it wrong. There was a discussion between refs and you could see the refs did not agree at all. The refs of the WCHA need to get rid of their rabbit ears and call the game.
                          The TV announcers said that, but I doubt it; I don't think refs can call a penalty off a replay. Much more likely is they called a penalty 'live', and then reviewed and discussed "two vs five".

Comment

They can call a major off of a replay. Happened to the MSU men's team in the regional against Providence last year. No call was made on the ice, then they went to replay where it's either a no call or major.

Comment

Originally posted by taz91 View Post
                              They can call a major off of a replay. Happened to the MSU men's team in the regional against Providence last year. No call was made on the ice, then they went to replay where it's either a no call or major.
                              You are correct that no call was made initially, but how they got that wrong off of replay is a mystery to me.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Only thing I could come up with was Buchbinder didn't see the hit coming, and Sederberg didn't give herself enough room getting back into the play.

Comment

Working...
                                X