Minnesota State 2019-2020 Charging Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State 2019-2020 Charging Forward

The Mavericks have a strong freshman class that should compliment the returning players. The top scorers return from last season along with strong goaltending. The WCHA is again very strong with Wisco and Minny remaining on top. Ohio State and UMD will be tough again as well. MSU could start making a move this season also.

Re: Minnesota State 2019-2020 Charging Forward

Originally posted by agfire View Post
    The top scorers return from last season along with strong goaltending.
    I guess that depends on how you define top scorers. Last season, eight players had double-digit points, and five of those graduated, including leading scorer Corbin Boyd. If you look just at goal scoring, then Brook Bryant (who was top with 11) and Brittyn Fleming (third with nine) are back, but nobody else has more than four.

I agree that the Mavericks could improve, but the challenge will be improving on their sub-two goals per game scoring average. It's hard to win if you don't score. They start with a key series at Rensselaer, a team that is even more offensively challenged and is now facing life without its franchise goalie.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm looking for Poinar to have a big year! Will Frank get any games this year?

Comment

https://www.msureporter.com/2019/09/...ff-its-season/
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
          I'm looking for Poinar to have a big year! Will Frank get any games this year?
          If Poinar breaks out htis season it will be a great boost to the offense.I also think Butorac and Oelkers are going to play a much bigger role. Frank will definitely see time. Having her to rest Leavy will only make Leavy that much better.

Thanks for the article.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          I guess that depends on how you define top scorers. Last season, eight players had double-digit points, and five of those graduated, including leading scorer Corbin Boyd. If you look just at goal scoring, then Brook Bryant (who was top with 11) and Brittyn Fleming (third with nine) are back, but nobody else has more than four.

I agree that the Mavericks could improve, but the challenge will be improving on their sub-two goals per game scoring average. It's hard to win if you don't score. They start with a key series at Rensselaer, a team that is even more offensively challenged and is now facing life without its franchise goalie.
          I agree that scoring has been an issue. But I think having those returners you mentioned get more ice time with the exit of the senior line will make that happen. As people have said last year, that first line was out there way too much. I think the Goal count will significantly increase. The incoming forwards have a lot of talent and will provide the most depth Harrington has had since his arrival. New year, new hopes, like all teams this is an exciting time.
          Last edited by agfire; 09-26-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

The Mavericks have a great opening weekend in Troy, NY. Sweeping RPI by combined scores 7-0 with many scorers spread throughout the lineup. The Mavericks out-shot the Engineers 93-27. Leavy gained another shutout on her resume and Frank got her first collegiate shutout and win. The freshmen played well and it looks like they are transitioning to the college game well. Competition will get extremely tough as the Mavs host the Gophers this weekend. The Gophers come off big wins against a very talented Colgate team. Overall the WCHA had an impressive weekend showing why its the toughest conference in women's hockey.

Comment

Overall the WCHA had an impressive weekend showing why its the toughest conference in women's hockey.
              Impressive indeed. By my count the four league teams in action this weekend outscored their non-conference opponents by a combined 34-6. Things could change in a hurry, however, when Clarkson visits Minnesota Duluth. That should be a very competitive, exciting series.

Meanwhile Bemidji State should be the slight favorite over Lindenwood at home, and you wouldn't expect Wisconsin to have too much trouble with Penn State.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Impressive indeed. By my count the four league teams in action this weekend outscored their non-conference opponents by a combined 34-6. Things could change in a hurry, however, when Clarkson visits Minnesota Duluth. That should be a very competitive, exciting series.

Meanwhile Bemidji State should be the slight favorite over Lindenwood at home, and you wouldn't expect Wisconsin to have too much trouble with Penn State.
                I agree. I think the Beavers should do well. I actually like UMD over Clarkson but it will be close. After seeing how PSU did against HC, Wisconsin should be able to pad their stats. I didn't realize the scoring spread by the WCHA, WOW.

Comment

Big weekend ahead. Going into Wisco is going to be tough.

Comment

Tough loss yesterday. Had a chance to win it late in the third then took a bad penalty. Maturity is a factor for this team. When selfish play is eliminated, the Mavs can play with just about anyone. Hopefully today will present a better outcome.

Comment

Had a chance to win it late in the third then took a bad penalty.
                      Had a chance to tie late in the third (and force OT, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        Had a chance to tie late in the third (and force OT, etc.)
                        Thats correct, my bad. Too bad the Mavs couldnt pull it off against such a good team.

Comment

Tough loss yesterday. Had a chance to win it late in the third then took a bad penalty. Maturity is a factor for this team. When selfish play is eliminated, the Mavs can play with just about anyone. Hopefully today will present a better outcome.
                          The team speed has greatly improved this year. I will admit I was nervous when Mauermann got that total BS call on her, giving the Mavs a chance for a 6 on 4. I didn't see Sunday's game.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I didn't see Sunday's game.
                            That's a real shame. (At least) Four of the goals were 'notable' or 'pretty' etc. Great cross ice pass from LaMantia (I think) to Pettit on the PP; even better across-the-crease pass from Watts to Roque at the backdoor for a tap-in; Roque spinning backhand through the five-hole; and Watts intercepts a pass and just undresses Levy (after Frank had been pulled).

It was still a pretty close games well into the second period, and you're right about the Mavericks' speed and overall play. But then Wisconsin managed to put on a show.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              That's a real shame. (At least) Four of the goals were 'notable' or 'pretty' etc. Great cross ice pass from LaMantia (I think) to Pettit on the PP; even better across-the-crease pass from Watts to Roque at the backdoor for a tap-in; Roque spinning backhand through the five-hole; and Watts intercepts a pass and just undresses Levy (after Frank had been pulled).

It was still a pretty close games well into the second period, and you're right about the Mavericks' speed and overall play. But then Wisconsin managed to put on a show.
                              Sometimes life gets in the way, it was a bummer not going. I feel really good they rebounded after that panic laden 3rd period Saturday.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                              X