Minnesota State 2019-2020 Charging Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State 2019-2020 Charging Forward

There definitely was no call initially, because the "offending" player went to the bench and sat down while they were reviewing. Harrington showed a lot more restraint than most coaches would have with a call that was so wrong and had the potential to decide the game.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I know we all complain about officiating but at some point there has to be a move made by the WCHA to improve the level that we get. I do not believe that women should be officiating because they are women but instead get in position because of the quality and ability. Flowers was present at this game, I doubt it will happen but I hope she takes a look at this (as well as other calls i.e. Roque no call) and take a look at how this can be improved. We want to say we are the best conference yet it seems like we don't have the best refs. I am not trying to beat them up but maybe we could provide additional training and guidance?

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
        We want to say we are the best conference yet it seems like we don't have the best refs.
        We complain about our officials, because as fans, that's what we do. But when I watch a game with Hockey East or CHA refs, I'm left feeling that I would rather have WCHA refs. There are just too many times where they insert themselves into a game where they shouldn't. For example, they'll call absolutely everything, and the game has zero flow. Or they'll whistle six straight penalties on one team, and then they'll try to even it up by reversing their calls. Momentum is created by the officials, rather than by the players. We've all remarked on a number of WCHA games where there are few to no penalties called, but I much prefer that to the case of players trying to skate on eggshells because no contact of any kind is allowed. People complain about Robert Ludwig, but he's pretty consistent. The players know that he won't call much, he'd prefer that they decide the game, but he'll make a call if forced to do so. The players at least have a solid idea of what he will and won't call. I think that is all that we can really ask for. So many of the other "missed" calls come down to what color lenses we view a game through.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          We complain about our officials, because as fans, that's what we do. But when I watch a game with Hockey East or CHA refs, I'm left feeling that I would rather have WCHA refs. There are just too many times where they insert themselves into a game where they shouldn't. For example, they'll call absolutely everything, and the game has zero flow. Or they'll whistle six straight penalties on one team, and then they'll try to even it up by reversing their calls. Momentum is created by the officials, rather than by the players. We've all remarked on a number of WCHA games where there are few to no penalties called, but I much prefer that to the case of players trying to skate on eggshells because no contact of any kind is allowed. People complain about Robert Ludwig, but he's pretty consistent. The players know that he won't call much, he'd prefer that they decide the game, but he'll make a call if forced to do so. The players at least have a solid idea of what he will and won't call. I think that is all that we can really ask for. So many of the other "missed" calls come down to what color lenses we view a game through.
          Tons of interference kills the flow of the game too, and players getting tripped in the slot as they are about to shoot does not create exciting play. This year it seems like the players are interfering less, for whatever reason I do not know. If the refs called it tight all the time, the players would adjust. Evening up calls is total BS. The better team should get more pp's because overmatched players try and stop them illegally.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Thanks for the input and point taken on previous two posts. In the end, I agree, we all complain but I will agree that WCHA officiating is better than the others. There is a saying as a ref that "at the end of the game, if they don't know who we are, we have done a good job". I guess I am just stuck on the fact that a penalty was called off of a replay and they still got it wrong but everything played out and in the end and officiating did not change the outcome is what we all want. Great discussion.

Comment

Thanks for the input and point taken on previous two posts. In the end, I agree, we all complain but I will agree that WCHA officiating is better than the others. There is a saying as a ref that "at the end of the game, if they don't know who we are, we have done a good job". I guess I am just stuck on the fact that a penalty was called off of a replay and they still got it wrong but everything played out and in the end and officiating did not change the outcome is what we all want. Great discussion.
              I am glad MSU didn't get screwed by that bad call.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Another strong outing by the Mavericks. Much improved play offensively. Still a lot of work to do on defense.

Comment

Something we haven't seen in a while, A Maverick win...

Comment

Tough loss tonight. Too bad, these girls played hard and deserve better

Comment

Tough loss tonight. Too bad, these girls played hard and deserve better
                      I would have to agree with this.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Nice 5-3 win for the Mavs this afternoon, outshooting the Beavers 29-17.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Nice 5-3 win for the Mavs this afternoon, outshooting the Beavers 29-17.
                          As a BSU fan I was, of course, disappointed in the loss. MSU was definitely the better team today and most of the weekend in terms of puck possession and playing together as a team. I'm sure BSU will get things together as they play more games but MSU impressed me this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

As a BSU fan I was, of course, disappointed in the loss. MSU was definitely the better team today and most of the weekend in terms of puck possession and playing together as a team. I'm sure BSU will get things together as they play more games but MSU impressed me this weekend.
                            I only watched the second half of the game and I agree that MSU was better. Nice comeback after allowing the Beavers three goals in the second, including their last with just 16 seconds remaining.

Comment

I'm new to women's hockey but have been following BSU with a player there, and watching the Beavers (2) series now I am thinking they should get much better in the second half. Big senior class and once they find their stride they should improve. SCSU, BSU and MSU all look similar to me.

Comment

From what I've been able to tell from viewing online is that all three of those teams are improved. With stout goaltender play each one is capable of pulling an upset over any of the top four.

Comment

Working...
                                X