• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From the ashes: St. Lawrence Skating Saints 2019-20

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    News story link:

https://www.wwnytv.com/2019/11/20/an...ppleton-arena/

Note that the video in this story is not current, it is file footage from November. Neither this story nor the November piece goes into any details as to what is causing the delays... poor reporting.
    Maybe you are not from around the No Co. But SLU controls the media-- both the Watertown Times and TV station. Just like they control the police in Canton. So, until people stand up to SLU the truth will never be told. ITs a great marketing spin SLU will put out....Much like a leader I know in DC.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
      Just like they control the police in Canton.
      Boy, do I wish I'd known that a long time ago--I would have had even MORE fun.

Comment

To be fair the remodel pic is lovely:

Appleton is my second favorite arena after Matthews. I hope they do it proud.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
          Boy, do I wish I'd known that a long time ago--I would have had even MORE fun.
          well, ask some hockey players and DWI's back in the day...car crash, injury and a very favorable hockey player.

Comment

After I posted , I received this email from the SLU box office. There's enough ambiguity in this message to keep me from laying down a bet ...

"November 19, 2019

Significant progress continues to be made on the Appleton Arena renovation project. We are excited that the facility has been enclosed, the new scoreboard and ribbon board have been installed, and improvements to the fan experience have been made including, a new sound system, widening the concourses, and improving the flow of the concessions area.

However, conditions are not ready to make and maintain the ice surface to our standards. We have decided to delay the opening of Appleton Arena until our students return from the holiday break and can participate fully in the first games in our renovated facility, as well as providing us the opportunity to thoroughly test all new systems before playing Division I Hockey. We have changed the location for our home games through early January 2020 to the rink at SUNY Canton.

The women’s team plans to host Clarkson at Appleton on January 18, 2020. The men’s team plans to host Brown on January 31, 2020, at Appleton. Team schedules for both teams, game locations, as well as ticket information have been updated online. We want to thank our North Country neighbors SUNY Canton for their ongoing partnership and the use of their facility.

PLEASE NOTE: All tickets that have already been purchased for the games against Maine (11/29-11/30), Union (1/3), RPI (1/4), Quinnipiac (1/10) and Princeton (1/11) will be honored with seats at SUNY Canton. Ticket holders have been assigned a benefit to their account through the online ticket system that will allow them to select seats at no additional cost. Those will be able to be claimed starting Wednesday, November 20.

*Benefit Ticket will show as a ticket option when making your purchase.

As a reminder, the new ticketing system through University Tickets is web based, so users are able to login at saintsathletics.universitytickets.com
            to select and purchase tickets.

Simply click the red “Log In/Register” box in the upper right-hand corner, select “General Public” and you’re on your way!

If you have questions, please call the Ticket Office at (315) 229-5696 or visit the desk Monday-Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The credentials issued to season ticket holders over the past few weeks will not work for the games that have been moved to SUNY Canton, as they correspond to your seats in Appleton. In addition, those season ticket holders who have purchased a parking pass and hospitality package for Appleton Arena will receive a credit for those six games, which will be applied to the cost of available season packages for the 2020-21 season.

Thank you for your patience and understanding throughout this process. We want to make sure that the Appleton Arena renovation is done right. The University remains committed to providing St. Lawrence’s hockey teams with a superior athletic facility that offers the best student-athlete and fan experience in college hockey.

Sincerely,

Appleton Arena Ticket Office
            By the way, for those scoring at home, the online ticket portal mentioned above was NOT functional (as promised) when I tried earlier today ...😜
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Why How can the be so far off the time table? This is a bigger joke than the BIG DIG in Boston.
              Then there is the Berlin-Brandenburg airport where construction started in 2006. They started planning at about the time the wall fell in 1989.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

By the way, for those scoring at home, the online ticket portal mentioned above was NOT functional (as promised) when I tried earlier today ...😜
                Update: Site still not functional today. After being stymied online, a buddy called over to the box office and was very capably assisted by ....wait for it .......a HUMAN BEING ! What a concept !!!
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

A disappointing weekend, given that Yale and Brown are two teams that looked beatable. But it was really a competitive weekend, with the difference being just a couple of defensive zone mistakes. The three ENGs at the Whale made that game look a lot worse than it was.

I've updated my stats graphs with this weekend's games. Things that stood out to me in the process:
                  - This was our best weekend of the season for shot margin, as we outshot our two opponents by 13. Opening weekend at Mercyhurst was the only other time we've won the shot battle over the two games, and that was by only two shots.
                  - On the flip side, lately we've been allowing more goals, more consistently. We've played 14 games. Over the first 7, the median of our opponents' scoring was two goals per game. In the last 7, it's four goals per game. Although the strength of our schedule was a good bit tougher in those last 7, I don't think that explains much of the difference, as there hasn't been a clear correlation between the strength of our opponent and the number of goals they scored.
                  - After sputtering a week ago, the offense returned to its uncanny habit of scoring either two or three goals per game. They've done that in 10 our 14 games.
                  - This weekend was the first time we've stayed under three penalties in a game, and we did it in both games, taking just two penalties each night. That was enough of an improvement to move us into the "cleaner half" of the nation's teams. A very welcome change from our typical 5 to 7 penalties, and I hope it's the start of a trend.
                  SLU Stats 2019-2020
                  Canton High School '76
                  SLU '81
                  KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
                  SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Although we got outplayed this weekend -- Maine is certainly a better team -- the guys battled hard and were rewarded with a tie. Aside from the relatively brief meltdown in Friday's third period, the whole weekend was very tight. A nice job of hanging tough.

I've updated my stats graphs with this weekend's games. The main (Maine?) things that stood out to me this week:
                    - With six goals allowed over the two games, this was our best defensive weekend since the third week of the season when we tied Holy Cross and shut out Bentley. Obviously Friday wasn't the reason why, but it was impressive that the guys bounced back and recorded their second-best defensive performance of the year on Saturday.
                    - Our shot margins continue to be vastly better than last year. Through 16 games last year, we were being outshot by more than 17 shots per game, we had been outshot by 20 or more in ten of those games, and we had not outshot a single opponent. This year, we're being outshot by 6 shots per game, we haven't been outshot by 20 in any games, and we've outshot four opponents. A caveat is that this year's strength of schedule is now significantly weaker than at this point last year, but my eyeball attempt at accounting for that difference indicates that we're still doing much better.
                    SLU Stats 2019-2020
                    Canton High School '76
                    SLU '81
                    SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Five words say it all: Stay out of the box. Obviously CCT is a better team, but our guys played them tough and battled to a standoff at even strength. The penalties did us in.

I've updated my stats graphs with Saturday's game. With the first semester now in the books, a few notes:
                      - Although our scoring has certainly been weak, I'm glad to see that it didn't drop off much during the second half of the semester, despite playing a somewhat tougher schedule than in the first half.
                      - At the other end, our defense did slip some in the second half of the semester, but it has still been somewhat better than last year. Although four or more goals against were fairly common after Halloween, three of our last four games were lower than average in goals against, so that's a good sign.
                      - Saturday illustrated again how much better than last year we're doing in shot margin, which is an indicator of how one-sided the games are. The Knights outshot us by 16, which is our third-worst margin of the season, but if you plop that into last fall, it would be only our 12th-worst. We still haven't been outshot by 20 or more in a game, which was the norm last fall.
                      SLU Stats 2019-2020
                      Canton High School '76
                      SLU '81
                      SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

That was a fun game to watch: certainly didn't look like the mismatch that the Pairwise or Kratch would suggest. Great to see the compete level, especially at dump & bump, and along the half wall. It would be greater, though, to have a consistent threat besides Suthers.
                        One last thing--thanks for your efforts, StatsMan.
                        PS Fun to watch the women also!

Comment

Just keep battling!

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                            Just keep battling!
                            SLU is looking pretty good, based on the past few years projections going forward. Keep it up! ECAC competitive landscape is pretty even across the bottom half.....lot of renowned company!

Comment

How can you spend that kind of money on renovation and have ice be that BAD. 8 Below Zero and it won't set. Come on!!! Every Laurentian should be asking for refund. Unacceptable.

On the plus side. Great work boys. Effort was there.

Comment

How can you spend that kind of money on renovation and have ice be that BAD. 8 Below Zero and it won't set. Come on!!! Every Laurentian should be asking for refund. Unacceptable.

On the plus side. Great work boys. Effort was there.
                                I noticed that, too. Especially in the corner on the Clarkson bench side, entrance end. The new electronics look good, though. And the ice surface was very bright and well lit.

Pretty even game, really. Clarkson did a good job limiting chances but SLU still had opportunities.. SLU should be pretty well taken care of in the goaltending department in the coming years, kid seemed pretty legit.

Comment

Working...
                                X