Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
    -I really liked Connor Yau on the BG's blueline. But Paloscik is a level above.
    -I don't think that top line is broken up even with Graber back. I think he may stick on defense, as I kind of threw out there earlier. That was just a guess on my part that came to fruition; I thought I was going out on a limb. Guess not.
    -That was a great rally but BU is not as good a team as Dartmouth. They just have individuals with more potential who I think see BU as a 1-year internship before going pro. And I don't mean that to be hard on those players--they're future pros and if I were them, I'd be the same I'm sure. But it's a challenge to develop cohesiveness in a program when so many guys come and go quickly.

I'll add one more: I LOVE Less/Matthews on defense. They quietly do a ton of things well that doesn't always show up in the scoresheet, but prevents the opponent from showing up there instead.
    For sure, like I had mentioned I think Palocsik is ahead of Yau offensively and not quite as good defensively (man to man marking, reading plays) at the same juncture. I didn't know Graber played D in that game; if they continue to score maybe Graber stays back there but either way he give you that flexibility. Gallant is exactly what that top line needs...sandpaper lunch-pail mentality, puck retrieval, net front presence! And finally yes I am buying on the Matthews/Less D pair. I mentioned earlier that I never saw the O side of less come out but it has and a lot comes from Matthews as his partner. Actually, I thought Matthews has more upside offensively and I still think he does but it hasn't fully come out yet.

Comment

BG slays the Knights with a thrilling 3-2 victory as it never trailed during the game. It was great that BG responded after giving up a goal right after the Knights scored but contrarily they have to tighten up and focus once they goal scored and Knights come right back and do the same. It's a learning experience which will bode well for them in the future. This was about as even a game as you are going to get and stats (not a big stats guy) will back that up. The forecheck of BG seemed to hem and trouble the Knights early on. Again the PP are giving up goals to easily with simple things as sticks not in passing lanes. For example, BG adapts and covers the weakside one-timer forward leaving the guy at the net unoccupied. But you are going to to that you had better get sticks in the lane which sticks weren't on the first goal. You maybe right on Graber playing the backend GB...this allows him to control the game a bit more! But in his next life of pro hockey if he chooses to do so he will be a forward. Interesting on switch on D pairings I assume based on Graber coming back. They had to break up their best pair in Matthews/Less. Does that mean Demler is on the 3rd pairing and obviously PK duties? More to come but let's go and know let down or playing down tonight!

Comment

BG completes the 4 point weekend against the North Country team, beating St. Lawrence last night 3-1. As you would a expect, it was kind of a trap game where BG was coming off a huge win vs Clarkson the night before and it showed. The good news is that they won and bad news is that it was uninspiring against a less talented team. Graber again shows has talent that can make things happen on his goal but much credit should go to Strong who leaves the puck for a upcoming Graber to finish backhand forehand. On the first goal credit a great forecheck stick in lane to Rutherford who passes to strong for an easy slot goal. Ruhterford is heating up! Then O'Connor puts in a seeing-eye goal on the PP with good netfront presence from Forman. However, BG looked uninspired. In one sequence in the second, they must have had three careless turnovers in D zone, one by each of the D and one by a forward. That happens but against a more skilled team that's in the back of the net! But overall great weekend and the consistency seems to be geling.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          BG completes the 4 point weekend against the North Country team, beating St. Lawrence last night 3-1. As you would a expect, it was kind of a trap game where BG was coming off a huge win vs Clarkson the night before and it showed. The good news is that they won and bad news is that it was uninspiring against a less talented team. Graber again shows has talent that can make things happen on his goal but much credit should go to Strong who leaves the puck for a upcoming Graber to finish backhand forehand. On the first goal credit a great forecheck stick in lane to Rutherford who passes to strong for an easy slot goal. Ruhterford is heating up! Then O'Connor puts in a seeing-eye goal on the PP with good netfront presence from Forman. However, BG looked uninspired. In one sequence in the second, they must have had three careless turnovers in D zone, one by each of the D and one by a forward. That happens but against a more skilled team that's in the back of the net! But overall great weekend and the consistency seems to be geling.
          Game with Cornell is one of the biggest at this stage of the season in a long time. And I don't think the Big Green should go in daunted by playing the Big Red in Lynah.

Comment

Game with Cornell is one of the biggest at this stage of the season in a long time. And I don't think the Big Green should go in daunted by playing the Big Red in Lynah.
            Yep, the biggest weekend of the season based on standings and previous head to head play! Colgate thoroughly spanked BG at Thompson and the next night BG holds on barely with a Big Red barrage to escape with a 2-1 W. I do not think anymore needs to be stated!

On another note, BG climbs in both the Poll and PW, rising to #20 and #19 respectively! Let's gooooo BG!

Comment

On another note, BG climbs in both the Poll and PW, rising to #20 and #19 respectively! Let's gooooo BG!
              If they can come home with 4 points--not easy by any stretch but also not out of the question--then the Big Green are conceivably in the conversation for an at-large bid with games at Clarkson and hosting Harvard coming up. And when is the last time we could say that?

Too bad they let a win at #18 PWR UNH get away....

Comment

If they can come home with 4 points--not easy by any stretch but also not out of the question--then the Big Green are conceivably in the conversation for an at-large bid with games at Clarkson and hosting Harvard coming up. And when is the last time we could say that?

Too bad they let a win at #18 PWR UNH get away....
                Yeah for sure GB! Being a realist and and not a Debbie Downer which I know I am not, 3 points here would be awesome. The Big Red will be doubly tough...revenge after first loss to BG and at home! The revenge should be in the form of Colgate , possibly their worst beat-down of the season.
                Let's goooooo BG!

Comment

You guys are our one loss. You obviously can play with us.

We're that same team you beat although lately the special teams have been perking up a bit. Dartmouth's aggressive forechecking worked well against our younger defenders (and against some of our seniors...). I expect Gaudet to have a very hard hitting style that keeps up all game. He and Schafer basically have ESP so these games are always fascinating.

Fun fact: Dartmouth has been by far the most difficult team for us to play in the last 25 years.

Good luck on Saturday against Colgate!
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yeah for sure GB! Being a realist and and not a Debbie Downer which I know I am not, 3 points here would be awesome. The Big Red will be doubly tough...revenge after first loss to BG and at home! The revenge should be in the form of Colgate , possibly their worst beat-down of the season.
                    Let's goooooo BG!
                    I think any Dartmouth fan would be OK with 3 points. But unlike years past, it would be more "satisfied and OK with" than "happy about".

Neither team will be easy, but yeah, Cornell especially hungry after losing in Hanover. And even though Colgate hasn't maintained the success they had when they took 4 points in Hanover and Cambridge, they're a good team. Strange that they're better on the road this season, at least to this point. Hope it continues.

Comment

• Re: Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      You guys are our one loss. You obviously can play with us.

We're that same team you beat although lately the special teams have been perking up a bit. Dartmouth's aggressive forechecking worked well against our younger defenders (and against some of our seniors...). I expect Gaudet to have a very hard hitting style that keeps up all game. He and Schafer basically have ESP so these games are always fascinating.

Fun fact: Dartmouth has been by far the most difficult team for us to play in the last 25 years.

Good luck on Saturday against Colgate!
                      Thanks Keps and great to hear from you! While you know I always root for the BG but I have to be realistic here, you guys are lock-down at Lynah. Our goalie basically stole the first game at Thompson. Here's hoping for a great college ECAC game!

Comment

I think any Dartmouth fan would be OK with 3 points. But unlike years past, it would be more "satisfied and OK with" than "happy about".

Neither team will be easy, but yeah, Cornell especially hungry after losing in Hanover. And even though Colgate hasn't maintained the success they had when they took 4 points in Hanover and Cambridge, they're a good team. Strange that they're better on the road this season, at least to this point. Hope it continues.
                        I would have to agree with you as this year's team seems be a little better and maybe with Graber on the back end!

Comment

This is a classic example where a loss is OK (I get, its never OK) and one where you give credit to the opposing team. Big Red beats the BG 3-2! Now why do I say given that the Big Red was the better team. BG was unfazed and never trailed until the end. Actually they looked like they belong albeit like I stated Big Red was clearly the better team. One thing for sure this game definitely shows that the gap between the two teams have closed as the BG have slowly closed if not passed that gap on a few ECAC teams. Clark was outstanding again vs the Big Red as they had some great finishes/snipes but they also left a lot on the tables as far as beyond Grade A chances where in some cases they didn't even get a shot off. They will definitely have to clean those up and capitalize on those chances if they want to go deep in the NCAA's which they certainly have the make-up too.

No let down tonight as BG should carry the positives and exact revenge. The first game Colgate spanked the BG and it was even close. Let's GOOOOOO BG!

Comment

1 point is disappointing as hell.

Comment

Somebody on here had better talk up Cam Strong.
                              Three goals in last three games.
                              Opened up scoring the last two nights in Ithaca and Hamilton.
                              #CamStrong

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                                Somebody on here had better talk up Cam Strong.
                                Three goals in last three games.
                                Opened up scoring the last two nights in Ithaca and Hamilton.
                                #CamStrong
                                Here you go Iowa! Cam is a player that gets the most out of his ability and that is bottom six. He is one that you are going to know what you get night in and night out! Cam is great on the PK and is always a team-first kind of a guy! He will never put up the gawdy numbers but that certainly doesn't reflect on his worth to BG!

Comment

Working...
                                X