Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Dartmouth played a great game, doing what they needed to and capitalizing. They stayed in that aggressive forecheck that put us off balance a couple times. Clark and their excellent penalty kill saved the game.

Those alt sweaters though... they gotta go.

Good luck until the meeting at Lynah.
    Ugh. That’s what WE’RE used to doing on the ice to teams better than us on paper. A lot less fun when the shoe is on the other foot, but, as I said, we’ve done it enough times that I can appreciate a perfectly executed game plan that negates relative strengths and weaknesses. Nice job, Green!
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Re: Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

BG hosts a rare Thursday night game vs Bentley and ends up in a 2-2 tie. However, coming off a big upset over Cornell, this would be considered a lost. Actually, Bentley might have been the better team especially better offensive flow with crisper passes. Top line did not dominate and thus was held in check as Forman struggled with his hands. Luckily the second line came through with both goals. The bottom six has to help out a bit. Clark was solid but the team D gave up a lot of chances and that first goal on the PK was just too easy...diagonally through the box for a one-timer. You could have driven a truck through there.

Onto Northeastern and hopefully better play!

Comment

Seems like BG play to the (pairwise) level of their opponent. And they're not good enough to do that: if they're not at their best, teams like Bentley steal points--or would, if points were on the line as opposed to it being a non-conference game. Either way, it's not a game Dartmouth should lose, at home yet, and they did: twice now in the last 3.

That said, would playing Northeastern tight and even beating them away be a shock? Given the multiple personalities Dartmouth possesses, I don't think it really would, though Northeastern has to be the favorite, of course.

Too many penalties last night. I listened to the stream and haven't watched it yet so I don't know how legit they all were. But 8 PPs against I don't think is due to the refs.
        Last edited by GreenBear; 12-13-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Can someone tell me why Bentley's original second goal was called back, as from where we were sitting the puck appeared to be completely over the line in the net behind the Dartmouth goalie, who did not appear to know where the puck was. No whistle had been called at that point. Was offsides called in review?

Comment

I don't believe it was ruled a goal on the ice,but close enough to be reviewed. I was in section 12 right behind the net and thought it was a goal but Clark quickly got the puck under his pad and I am sure that the camera angle was not very good

Comment

Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
              I don't believe it was ruled a goal on the ice,but close enough to be reviewed. I was in section 12 right behind the net and thought it was a goal but Clark quickly got the puck under his pad and I am sure that the camera angle was not very good
              Thanks, Eddie (great screen name, btw :-) ).

Yeah, we realized that the goal judge and refs could not see it, but I was surprised that the video review did show what we saw, as I thought that there was direct overhead videocam.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Thanks, Eddie (great screen name, btw :-) ).

Yeah, we realized that the goal judge and refs could not see it, but I was surprised that the video review did show what we saw, as I thought that there was direct overhead videocam.
                Great to hear from you guys! I watched on ESPN+ and every angle including directly over the goal line...you could not see the puck at all! Now that doesn't preclude Clark pulling it back with his glove thus having it covered, after it crossed. As correctly stated, the call on the ice was a No Goal and nothing that I saw would seem to override that. IMHO I believed the puck never crossed to begin with but certainly warranted review. Finally, I thought you guys were the better team for most of the game!

Comment

BG loses to NE in which their PK gets pierced, giving up three PP goals. Point-blankly, this was not a good showing by BG. When Sam Hesler is your best player, you are in no trouble and that is definitely no disrespect to Sam as he provides energy, spunk, willingness to shoot and go to the net despite his size. Yes, I am referring to the lack of output from the top line as they look like a disjointed mess now. Graber must have been hurt because I did not see him for the second half of the game. However while he was in that line was ineffective. Props to the second and third line for picking up the slack, maybe their N/S style and lunch pail mentality is the way to go.

BG's PK flat out sucks! Their box and/or diamond is dissected like a biology experiment. I guess they did not learn from Thursday and that's troubling...the ability to adapt! They left Clark hung out to dry. If I was Clark, I would let them have it. Maybe it's personnel I do not know but they had better fix it. And this starts by staying out of the box.

BG let's put this in the rear-view mirror and learn and move on to Ledyard!

B

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                    BG's PK flat out sucks! Their box and/or diamond is dissected like a biology experiment. I guess they did not learn from Thursday and that's troubling...the ability to adapt! They left Clark hung out to dry. If I was Clark, I would let them have it. Maybe it's personnel I do not know but they had better fix it. And this starts by staying out of the box.
                    It was bad this weekend but it had been better. I dug up their numbers in the 6 games before this disaster of a weekend--they killed off 16 of 19 between opening weekend and this past one over 5 games. Maybe it was the competition (QU, Princeton, Brown, Yale, were part of that, but so were Colgate and Cornell). Even went 3 for 3 vs Harvard. Seems like when it's bad (UNH, Bentley, NU) it's really bad. Consolation that it's been good (87.5%) against ECAC opponents? Or coincidence.

They were shorthanded 14 times over the past 2 games. Unacceptable, and I don't care how bad officiating may have been (didn't think it was yesterday, looked bad on Thursday), that's on Dartmouth. A team that has been very disciplined the last couple of years--and most of this one--hasn't been. They're not good enough to play a man down for 10-16 minutes a night (or a little less, since those PP's have ended early due to conceding PPG).

The top line has been invisible since coming back from Thanksgiving. I noticed same as you: Graber left the game halfway through and did not return. He'd been playing through to start the season--I don't know what exactly--so I hope it's not something that re-aggrivated it. Then again he's been so inconsistent I wonder if maybe a line shakeup would be a good thing. Problem is I'd hate to take Baker away from Losurdo and Warpecha because they've been the best line! So who, then? Hesler? Rutherford? If Graber isn't up to his full potential, that's a big problem in the middle.

We'll see what the Ledyard brings. Very winnable tournament for Dartmouth. That said, I bet they don't win it because they lose too many games they should win.
                    Last edited by GreenBear; 12-15-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

BG hosts a rare Thursday night game vs Bentley and ends up in a 2-2 tie. However, coming off a big upset over Cornell, this would be considered a lost. Actually, Bentley might have been the better team especially better offensive flow with crisper passes. Top line did not dominate and thus was held in check as Forman struggled with his hands. Luckily the second line came through with both goals. The bottom six has to help out a bit. Clark was solid but the team D gave up a lot of chances and that first goal on the PK was just too easy...diagonally through the box for a one-timer. You could have driven a truck through there.

Onto Northeastern and hopefully better play!
                      I had to leave with about 10 minutes left in the 3rd but honestly I was surprised that Bentley was in a position to win the game in the 3rd. Dartmouth came out like gangbusters in the first 10 minutes, they couldn’t get the third goal I think was their downfall to lead to the tie.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                        It was bad this weekend but it had been better. I dug up their numbers in the 6 games before this disaster of a weekend--they killed off 16 of 19 between opening weekend and this past one over 5 games. Maybe it was the competition (QU, Princeton, Brown, Yale, were part of that, but so were Colgate and Cornell). Even went 3 for 3 vs Harvard. Seems like when it's bad (UNH, Bentley, NU) it's really bad. Consolation that it's been good (87.5%) against ECAC opponents? Or coincidence.

They were shorthanded 14 times over the past 2 games. Unacceptable, and I don't care how bad officiating may have been (didn't think it was yesterday, looked bad on Thursday), that's on Dartmouth. A team that has been very disciplined the last couple of years--and most of this one--hasn't been. They're not good enough to play a man down for 10-16 minutes a night (or a little less, since those PP's have ended early due to conceding PPG).

The top line has been invisible since coming back from Thanksgiving. I noticed same as you: Graber left the game halfway through and did not return. He'd been playing through to start the season--I don't know what exactly--so I hope it's not something that re-aggrivated it. Then again he's been so inconsistent I wonder if maybe a line shakeup would be a good thing. Problem is I'd hate to take Baker away from Losurdo and Warpecha because they've been the best line! So who, then? Hesler? Rutherford? If Graber isn't up to his full potential, that's a big problem in the middle.

We'll see what the Ledyard brings. Very winnable tournament for Dartmouth. That said, I bet they don't win it because they lose too many games they should win.
                        Good pick up GB! However in those previous PK's I do not recollect so many passes dissecting the the box/diamond for easy one-timers backdoor with Clark having no chance, unless he is cheating that way like crazy!

I know it's still early for the BG but they are hard to figure out! Regardless, they rarely hit stride until later in the season!

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                            That's a HUGE loss IMO. And makes for some big question marks going forward in the most important position. Clay Stevenson is the other Dartmouth commit in goal but I know Gale was very highly regarded (obviously if BU is in the mix).
                            Last edited by GreenBear; 12-16-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

We will now be better able to see what kind of team the BG is...contender or pretender as they start play in the back half! This usually their best hockey, mostly a by-product of starting a month later (all Ivies) than most programs. And it starts with the Ledyard Classic as Colorado College, U Conn, and St. Lawrence invades Hanover.

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...match-ups.aspx

Comment

We will now be better able to see what kind of team the BG is...contender or pretender as they start play in the back half! This usually their best hockey, mostly a by-product of starting a month later (all Ivies) than most programs. And it starts with the Ledyard Classic as Colorado College, U Conn, and St. Lawrence invades Hanover.

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...match-ups.aspx
                                So how will they determine who you guys play after the tie between UConn and StL? Goodluck by the way!! Convincing win over CC!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X