Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
    Am I nuts to think Dartmouth gets 3+ points this weekend? Because I do.
    GB, I am buying what you are selling as my prediction would be a W over Colgate and TIE with the Big Red so how about a straight up 3 point weekend!

Comment

BIGreen, thanks. 5-hour drive from Owego, N.Y., became a 6.5-hour adventure because of the snow. But, I got my wish as Hanover, N.H., is an absolute Winter Wonderland. Andrew Farrier is in goal for ‘Gate tonight it appears. He has played very well recently, including in Belfast last weekend. May the best team win tonight!!

Comment

Am I nuts to think Dartmouth gets 3+ points this weekend? Because I do.
        NARRATOR: "He was nuts to think this"

Comment

NARRATOR: "He was nuts to think this"
          Yeah GB, I think it is safe to say that Nostrdamus we are not! Downright ugly game!

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
            BIGreen, thanks. 5-hour drive from Owego, N.Y., became a 6.5-hour adventure because of the snow. But, I got my wish as Hanover, N.H., is an absolute Winter Wonderland. Andrew Farrier is in goal for ‘Gate tonight it appears. He has played very well recently, including in Belfast last weekend. May the best team win tonight!!
            Nicely done iowa! Well at least you were rewarded with a great team W! Safe travels again!

Comment

The morning of...Colgate obliterating BG at Thompson. First let put this out there; Colgate was absolutely the better in every facet of the game and thus the final score was every indication of their dominance. What was kind of disconcerting was the lack of 'major" push back by BG and some of that were intangibles which is all controllable. As the old adage goes, Was it rest or RUST? I would say it is a combo of RUST and the above as I previously mentioned! Some prime examples of RUST were the passes were off, I mean easy ones BG was not able to connect. Additionally, out of D zone entries right to a Colgate player's tape either in the d zone of neutral zone. That part has got to get cleaned up. Their D by committee is not good right now as they do not have a good 5/6 and they were not strong as group to begin with. While the forwards had a hard time sustaining possession/pressure they compounded by not getting back leading to odd man rushes. Finally, Clark needs to put this behind him and I will say it again, if he wants to reach that elite level (I think he can), Clark has to iron out these peaks and valleys. As you can tell, it was an overall terrible team effort by BG but the good thing about is that 24 hours later they can right the ship against the Big Red. I am calling for a bounce back, not necessarily a W but a TIE 2-2!

Comment

Thanks, again, BIGreen. I do relish last night’s win. I moved back to upstate New York, in 2017, after 28 years in Iowa (and the last five or six of those as an Omaha season ticket holder). In 2017-18, my first year back watching Colgate nearly every game, we had goal-medal goalie Colton Point and we were 17-17-6 overall. Colton bolted early to the Dallas Stars organization. In 2018-19, we had three freshman goalies, no offense and no defense, and we were 10-23-3 overall. We lost seven (7) games by four or more goals. Mitch Benson was our number one goalie, but again, all three were first-year college students.
                This year, from nearly the beginning of the season, our defense has tightened up. Mitch Benson had matured and we continued with him as our number one goalie. But we could still not ‘manufacture goals.’ A couple of weekends ago, on our Silver Puck Weekend at home, Mitch let in three goals on something like three shots, so Andrew Farrier became our starting goalie and he has played extremely well for us (as Mitch Benson had been doing). But, all of a sudden, we started scoring goals, too. Something happened internally and now, all of a sudden, we are firing on all eight cylinders. For long-time Colgate fans, and me (in my third year of chasing them nearly everywhere), games are extremely fun again to watch... as we can compete. We have done so with BC, UMass Lowell, Providence and Northeastern already this season. Right now, we are 6-7-4 overall, but 4-2-1 in ECAC Hockey action.
                My point is that, as fans and the program itself, we have suffered in recent history and we need games like last night to boost our confidence and momentum if we are going to get back to Lake Placid.
                Having said that, I will be back at Thompson Arena tonight, cheering on Dartmouth to successfully compete against PWR #1 Cornell, a team that I greatly dislike (not unlike Michigan and North Dakota).
                Go Big Green!!
                Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-07-2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                  The good thing about is that 24 hours later they can right the ship against the Big Red. I am calling for a bounce back, not necessarily a W but a TIE 2-2!
                  They do this a lot--forget a desultory performance one night and play much better the next. Problem is that "much better" may not be good enough against Cornell, who is simply a more talented, overall better team. Would have been better to stink against Cornell and get blasted there and then play 'Gate than vice-versa, but such is life and the schedule.

Colgate, even with their improvement, I think Dartmouth could beat if this was a 7 game series. Maybe I need a new prescription for my emerald-colored glasses but I do see them as overall better *when they are on their game*. The Big Green I saw last night was not the same team I saw 3 weeks ago in CT and RI. Granted I saw last night's game on ESPN+ and not live like the other two, but outside of some outlying times in the 1st period and early on in the 2nd with the PPG, this team didn't click at all. I am hoping that it was just rust as well.

Comment

Wow, bounce back indeed!! Very impressive, that must have been a fun one to watch.

Comment

Congrats to the BG for giving Cornell their first loss of the season!! I wasn't able to see much of the game, as I was watching my Colgate Raiders beat Harvard in OT, but I am so happy for you guys!! Great job!

Comment

Way to go last night congrats on your big win over Cornell!!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

A great huge BIG Green thanks for all the congratulatory wishes from the programs who passed along their gratitude for last night awesome W of the Big Red!

Comment

The second morning after sure does feel a lot better instead that hangover feeling after the Colgate game as the BG slains Goliath, hanging by tooth and nail 2-1. Again you guys and gals should know me by know...I am straight up and tell it like I see it, good, bad, and/or indifferent! Cornell was by a Miracle Mile better than BG. Matter of fact, if they played each other 10 times, Cornell would probably win 7-8 of those times. You know the old saying, the goalie has to be your best PK'er well Clark was and also the best player in the game! Way to bounce back after the stinker the night before. Flat out, he stole last night's victory.

If they some how did a Corsi rating, Cornell probably would have been in the 70's which is unheard of and in especially a loss. Quite simply, BG was very opportunistic and capitalized and the very FEW chances they had. While Galadja is very good and more-heralded than Clark, Clark out-goalied him last night. This is very interesting and probably should go into advanced scouting...both goals were short side high over his left glove-side shoulder, with the second (Baker's) almost from the outside of face off circle by the boards. The compound things both goals were scored by righties which makes even tougher. The overall team D D' and F's were awesome in packing it in and either blocking shots up top or close to the goal.

Let's goooooo BG! Build on this!

Comment

Dartmouth played a great game, doing what they needed to and capitalizing. They stayed in that aggressive forecheck that put us off balance a couple times. Clark and their excellent penalty kill saved the game.

Those alt sweaters though... they gotta go.

Good luck until the meeting at Lynah.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Totally agree with the analysis by BIGreen and Kepler.
                                It was a helluva college hockey game and I am so glad I stayed around for it. As an added benefit, a season-ticket-holding couple that sat next to me on Friday night invited me to join them in the Lounge post-game. The team all came in and introduced themselves, and the Coach was very humble and complimentary of Cornell. I got to chat with friend Cam Strong, who assisted on the winning goal. I also got to meet Shane Sellar, who played hockey with Donovan Ott back in the day. Cam, Shane and Donovan have all seen Sprint Car racing in their youth, which is my other passion. Then word got out that Colgate defeated Harvard, 4-3, in OT. It was a magical night for me.
                                Again, congratulations and continued good luck to Big Green.
                                Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-08-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X