Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

BG earns a well-deserved TIE with Q! Warpecha scores on a backhand coming out from behind the net on a Q turnover and goes 5-hole. If goalie reads that properly there's no way that's a goal but BG will take it. Then not much after that Demler takes a tripping penalty and of course BG let's in a PP goal. I might add that this was NHL-caliber working the triangle down low with tic tac toe passing a finishing. BG scores on a goal mouth scramble to tie it towards then. Kudos to the ref down on the goalline behind the net to not blow the play dead as he saw the loose puck the whole way. Most would /might have blown it dead on said play.

Positives:
    - Paloscik is BG's best player right now ( good that is performing as freshman bad in that how about the big names)
    - Clark seemed to regain last year's form
    - Campbell and Gallant infused some energy as freshmen
    - Baker looks like he is on a mission

Negatives:
    - careless turnover in the d zone especially unpressured giveaways by the D
    - where was Graber (hurt, sick, scratched, rested, etc)
    - Forman and O'connor are pressing

Go get some tennis balls early in the game tonight vs P!

Comment

BG finishes off the weekend games with a BIG BG W over Princeton! I actually thought P controlled a majority of the play but BG perservered while being opportunistic; this kind of game slugging it out and low scoring bodes well for the BG has it gives the team some much needed confidence, especially paying attention to the little details it takes to be good in your own end. Well, I do not know why Graber was DNP the night before but he certainly makes a difference for that top line and team. That line had many great looks with controlled extended time below the dot in the O zone. Finally we saw what O'Connor can do with open ice and his smooth skating ability when he busted out of the neutral zone by himself and beat two P defenders waiting for him at the blueline, only to cling one off the post.

The more I see off Paloscik the more I am impressed especially as a freshman D. Make no mistake about it, he has been BG's best and most consistent player thus far. The sophmores and freshmen (D and F) have been good. It looks like they have to shore up that 4, 5, and 6 on D. Markell should be top 4 and I am sure he will turn it around.
      Cameron has struggled mightily with turnovers and D zone coverage. Paul was Ok last night given his first collegiate action. On the goal P scored on the PP, he finishes check on the board only to leave the goal mouth open for a easy tap in. You have to have numbers and supports to do that. I he doesn't finish his check there and bust his butt back to the goal mouth, he prevents that goal but he will learn. Clark comes back with another solid performance.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
        BG finishes off the weekend games with a BIG BG W over Princeton! I actually thought P controlled a majority of the play but BG perservered while being opportunistic; this kind of game slugging it out and low scoring bodes well for the BG has it gives the team some much needed confidence, especially paying attention to the little details it takes to be good in your own end. Well, I do not know why Graber was DNP the night before but he certainly makes a difference for that top line and team. That line had many great looks with controlled extended time below the dot in the O zone. Finally we saw what O'Connor can do with open ice and his smooth skating ability when he busted out of the neutral zone by himself and beat two P defenders waiting for him at the blueline, only to cling one off the post.

The more I see off Paloscik the more I am impressed especially as a freshman D. Make no mistake about it, he has been BG's best and most consistent player thus far. The sophmores and freshmen (D and F) have been good. It looks like they have to shore up that 4, 5, and 6 on D. Markell should be top 4 and I am sure he will turn it around.
        Cameron has struggled mightily with turnovers and D zone coverage. Paul was Ok last night given his first collegiate action. On the goal P scored on the PP, he finishes check on the board only to leave the goal mouth open for a easy tap in. You have to have numbers and supports to do that. I he doesn't finish his check there and bust his butt back to the goal mouth, he prevents that goal but he will learn. Clark comes back with another solid performance.
        Graber has been battling an injury--still is, but gutted it out last night and what a performance. He's a game changer. The rest after next weekend's games will likely be good for him: Dartmouth is off for exams on the 22nd and has no Thanksgiving game this year, which may just be a good thing.

Warpecha has 3 goals, and all are gritty ones where he just shows up in the right place. Love how he's been battling to this point.

I'm pretty encouraged by the start, actually. Lots of inexperience that is being baptized by fire and has already shown improvement from opening night. Dartmouth has the trend to see continuous improvement over the course of the season, so I think all of this bodes well for March.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
          Graber has been battling an injury--still is, but gutted it out last night and what a performance. He's a game changer. The rest after next weekend's games will likely be good for him: Dartmouth is off for exams on the 22nd and has no Thanksgiving game this year, which may just be a good thing.

Warpecha has 3 goals, and all are gritty ones where he just shows up in the right place. Love how he's been battling to this point.

I'm pretty encouraged by the start, actually. Lots of inexperience that is being baptized by fire and has already shown improvement from opening night. Dartmouth has the trend to see continuous improvement over the course of the season, so I think all of this bodes well for March.
          Thanks for the update on Graber and you are correct that he is the "straw that stirs" that line and team! Hope he gets to iron out that injury and get 100% healthy!
          You are right on Warpecha someone's got to get those greasy goals and he is best suited for it. Hope it continues.
          Yes, i would say cautiously optimistic as the back end needs to shore up. Hope that game vs Princeton is a confidence builder.

Comment

Must admit, I did NOT see and/or watch the game last night as BG rallies and wins 4-3! From afar and looking at the stat sheet, the top line of Graber/O'Connor/Foreman did the the damage, accounting for 3 goals and 5 apples; it very simple here as I said many times before...as Graber goes so goes the top line and team. It looks like the bottom 6 has to provide some type of offensive support or bare minimum come out even on the +/- column.

I notice there is still some juggling on the D end. However it looks like the top 4 are set with Paloscik, Demler, Matthews, and Less! I will next throw in Markell, giving him the benefit of doubt as he had a good freshman season last year. That elusive 6 D could be troubling and not one has locked that spot up and thus far it is by commitee. And Clark is Clark. You could make a solid case that the two most important players are Clark and Graber on this year's squad.

GreenBear, did you watch the game? Please chime in!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
              Must admit, I did NOT see and/or watch the game last night as BG rallies and wins 4-3! From afar and looking at the stat sheet, the top line of Graber/O'Connor/Foreman did the the damage, accounting for 3 goals and 5 apples; it very simple here as I said many times before...as Graber goes so goes the top line and team. It looks like the bottom 6 has to provide some type of offensive support or bare minimum come out even on the +/- column.

I notice there is still some juggling on the D end. However it looks like the top 4 are set with Paloscik, Demler, Matthews, and Less! I will next throw in Markell, giving him the benefit of doubt as he had a good freshman season last year. That elusive 6 D could be troubling and not one has locked that spot up and thus far it is by commitee. And Clark is Clark. You could make a solid case that the two most important players are Clark and Graber on this year's squad.

GreenBear, did you watch the game? Please chime in!
              Went to both.
              -Clark and Graber are definitely the Big 2. And when they're on, as they are right now, Dartmouth is formidable. I love that they have some time off. Graber is doing all this while playing hurt. Imagine what he might do if he gets some time to heal! He can also be streaky, so that's the down side to time off, but I honestly think with him it's all confidence, and I don't think that'll drop off much break or no break.
              -2nd line is generating chances (Warpecha-Baker-Losurdo) but didn't cash any in.
              -Strong/Hesler/Urbank looked very good in their own half of the ice (steady, reliable) against Brown--way better than they looked vs Yale. They didn't generate a ton offensively.
              -3rd pairing is a bit of a fright right now. I really like the first 2. Less had some down times last season but has looked very good this one, as has Matthews, who has come a long way in 2 years. Demler/Palosick compliment each other really well. The combo of Markell/Cameron/Han just hasn't been good no matter which pair has played together. Cameron was the odd man out tonight, as I think he should be, but it's not like Markell or Han made a case to stay permanently in the lineup. I agree with you that Markell is probably the #5 but he's struggled early here.
              -The power play looked competent...dare I say good? Goals in both games. If they can just stay around 20% it could be the difference between Top 4 and 2nd four...and perhaps even a trip to Lake Placid.

3-1-1 after 5 ECAC games. 7 points is their best after 5 games in several years.
              Last edited by GreenBear; 11-16-2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I do not recollect the last time BG has swept and come away with 4 pts on their road trip to Yale/Brown. But far more importantly is that they are playing well and coming close to putting it all together. On this run, their best players were their best players, meaning Graber and his top line with O'Connor and Foreman and Clark in net. Looks like O'Connor is heating up and it's no coincidence that that is when Graber was back in the line up due to injury.
                I know their 2nd line is off to a great start with great chemistry but on paper that is not a 2nd line as they are more N/S and less play making ability; so more suited for 3rd line. I would like to see Hesler move up to 2W and Warpecha move down to 3W. regardless, each line has to contribute.

The D must have looked good this weekend just by the goals against, shots against, PK %,; all this will undoubtedbly help Clark and BG in the end.

Agree with you on their PP. love the big triangle of Graber running it on top and both Foreman and O'Connor on their off wings for their shooting abilities to slide up and down the half boards.

Comment

BG back in the "receiving votes" section of the USCHO rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                    BG back in the "receiving votes" section of the USCHO rankings.
                    And rightful and deservedly so!

Comment

Although this award goes to O'Connor, we all this is a collaborative effort from Clark, D men, F's, especially Graber/Forman!
                      Well done young man! Watch this guy skate; it both effortless and mighty efficient! While his strength is open ice now, he will learned to create in tighter situations such as cycling, extended O zone possession, PP, etc. It has looked like he has made a concerted effort in d zone coverage. Last year he was either lost and/or trying to fly the zone.

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...-the-week.aspx

Comment

O'Connor also named NCAA 1st Star of the week!

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...-the-week.aspx

Comment

Am I nuts to think Dartmouth gets 3+ points this weekend? Because I do.

Comment

I am coming up for both games and am hoping for a Colgate win on Friday and a Dartmouth win on Saturday.
                            I am also anxious to see Cam Strong play for the first time this season.
                            But, most importantly, I just want to see two good college hockey games in Hanover, hopefully in a Winter Wonderland setting. I love the Hanover area in winter.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                              I am coming up for both games and am hoping for a Colgate win on Friday and a Dartmouth win on Saturday.
                              But, most importantly, I just want to see two good college hockey games in Hanover, hopefully in a Winter Wonderland setting. I love the Hanover area in winter.
                              The way both teams have been playing (although Dartmouth has had 2 weeks off) you should get a very good game.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                                Safe travels iowa! FYI you will probably want to be seated at the far end direct opposite of the entrance as that is where (goal) Colgate will be shooting at in the 1 and 3rd periods! You are truly the best college hockey fan!

Comment

Working...
                                X