Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Last year was supposed to be a banner year, albeit given BG's history, but it all ended by its arch-enemy, Harvaaard in the ECAC play-offs again. This year's team might be a tad better especially with more experience overall. However, the Archiles remain on the back-end especially with the graduation of Yau and Roth. Yau played in scenarios of 5 on 5, PP, and PK and I would bet that he logged the most minutes on the team whereas Roth gave them some valuable 3rd pair minutes. Thank you both an good luck to you!

A more seasoned Matthews might be able to take up some of the duties left by Yau; he certainly has the skill-set or maybe it maybe by committee or an unknown freshmen comes in and grabs it. With Demler, Markell, Less, Han, and Dimaio, BG is bringing back plenty on the backline. While all are good, not one truly sticks out.

Putting pucks in the net should not be an issue and plenty of firepower remains even with the graduation of Jasiek, C Hesler, and Kilistoff as all three of their skill sets are replaceable. Look for O'Connor to expand on last year's surprising freshmen season; at this pace I could envision him in a NHL camp when he is done at the BG. You have got Graber, Forman, Sellar, Baker, Rutherford, Losurdo, and your solid role players in Strong and Warpecha. Would love to see what LeSeuer and S Hesler can do if earning playing time. Maybe the unknown freshmen can pull an O'Connor!

Goalies are solid wih Clark. Clark and more Clark! Ferguson will be the back-up!

Let's Gooooo BG!

Re: Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

A couple of things about what you posted.
    -On the power play, a couple of the guys coming in have had some PP success at the junior level. I don't know it it translates to Dartmouth, but I hope Brock Paul and Sean Keohan and Tanner Paloscik get some time in the early season on the PP. One thing we do know; it can hardly be worse than it's been the last 3 years especially.
    -Former Colgate commit Mark Gallant may be a guy who can step in and produce offensively. If any freshman pulls an O'Connor (and that's a lot to ask, but if) I'd bet it's him.
    -Another guy to mention--Erik Urbank didn't play last year due to injury: I've heard he compares well to Jasiek but with more offensive upside. If so, that's great.
    -O'Connor did get an invite to a pro camp--he skated with the Bruins this past summer. Just wonder who he skates with: Graber / Foreman as part of a revamped Timber Line or is Sellar still there with O'Connor teamed with someone else.
    -Clark in goal will be fine, although we have to weather his increasingly rare bad games along with the nights he's lights out. Ferguson was just so lit up last year I wonder when we see him again. I hope he gets some time, or we'll be looking at 2 unproven goalies with Ferguson and Thomas-Anthony Gale coming in next year. Not what you want....

I saw "5th" a lot for the early predictions: not going out on a limb there based on the last couple. But I do think this team does have it in them to challenge for a top 4. However, so do some of the others in that midpack so we'll see.

Comment

A few things to your couple of things:

*I agree that Palocsik has huge potential on the PP, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Keohan, who hasn't shown that he's a prolific scorer.
      *In addition to Thomas Gale, you have a '99 OA goalie from Coquitlam Express of the BCHL who has to come in, Clay Stevenson. Assuming Gale arrives next year, that's a log jam or a wealth of riches at G, depending upon how you want to view it.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

*I agree that Palocsik has huge potential on the PP, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Keohan, who hasn't shown that he's a prolific scorer.
        *In addition to Thomas Gale, you have a '99 OA goalie from Coquitlam Express of the BCHL who has to come in, Clay Stevenson. Assuming Gale arrives next year, that's a log jam or a wealth of riches at G, depending upon how you want to view it.
        Given that Ferguson at this point has a lot to prove, I'll take the logjam! That may change if he shows potential as the #2 this season, which he might. Sure hope so after the way his 2 starts went last season.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

Thanks for chiming in FL Hockey Mom! It looks like you have a good handle on the Jr. circuit!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
            A couple of things about what you posted.
            -On the power play, a couple of the guys coming in have had some PP success at the junior level. I don't know it it translates to Dartmouth, but I hope Brock Paul and Sean Keohan and Tanner Paloscik get some time in the early season on the PP. One thing we do know; it can hardly be worse than it's been the last 3 years especially.
            -Former Colgate commit Mark Gallant may be a guy who can step in and produce offensively. If any freshman pulls an O'Connor (and that's a lot to ask, but if) I'd bet it's him.
            -Another guy to mention--Erik Urbank didn't play last year due to injury: I've heard he compares well to Jasiek but with more offensive upside. If so, that's great.
            -O'Connor did get an invite to a pro camp--he skated with the Bruins this past summer. Just wonder who he skates with: Graber / Foreman as part of a revamped Timber Line or is Sellar still there with O'Connor teamed with someone else.
            -Clark in goal will be fine, although we have to weather his increasingly rare bad games along with the nights he's lights out. Ferguson was just so lit up last year I wonder when we see him again. I hope he gets some time, or we'll be looking at 2 unproven goalies with Ferguson and Thomas-Anthony Gale coming in next year. Not what you want....

I saw "5th" a lot for the early predictions: not going out on a limb there based on the last couple. But I do think this team does have it in them to challenge for a top 4. However, so do some of the others in that midpack so we'll see.
            Hey GreenBear, great hearing from after the season break! It's that time again! 100% agreed on your assessments especially on the PP! It sounds like a broken record which is a recipe disaster: bad entries (push them back, hard around the rim retrieval, isolate 2 on 1 gaining blue line), lack of finishers on PP (off wing, point, high slot) which is different than 5 on 5 play which O'Connor excels in with open ice, losing 50/50 board/puck battles, and finally "brains" for the PP. Hopefully they will right the ship here as this is an absolute MUST to their success. Maybe a freshmen will step up but IMHO Jrs. success and point production do not automatically to collegiate and so success.

BTW I was talking about O'Connor going right to an NHL camp in September and not a Prospect camp in July when he's done at Dartmouth, hopefully staying all four years!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
              Thanks for chiming in FL Hockey Mom! It looks like you have a good handle on the Jr. circuit!
              My pleasure, BG. Without giving too much away, let's just say my son has encountered many of your recruits during his hockey career.

Comment

Hopefully they will right the ship here as this is an absolute MUST to their success. Maybe a freshmen will step up but IMHO Jrs. success and point production do not automatically to collegiate and so success.
                Definitely not. Sometimes there are indications--Quin Foreman for example had put up goals wherever he'd been and came in with a D-1 skill set so him scoring at Dartmouth hasn't been a surprise. Other people put up big numbers but there could be factors to that--they may have been the beneficiary of linemates, or they played in a weaker league. Sometimes it's being an older player in a league of 17-18-19 year olds. The list goes on. As such, I'm not overly enthused about the recruiting class thus far when it comes to standout individuals--I don't think there's an O'Connor here--BUT I will say that I think they do have pieces that can well compliment what we have and can potentially develop as they play at Dartmouth.

That plus getting Hesler for (hopefully) a full season, having Urbank and LeSueur (hopefully) healthy and ready to go look to have the Big Green in a pretty good spot. Wouldn't pick them for 1st, but 4th isn't a stretch. In my Dare to Dream scenario I come up with 5th, Lake Placid, and Clark getting hot to give the Big Green a shot to do what Princeton did 2 years ago.

That's best case scenario, obviously. Realistically, Dartmouth has never won the ECAC tourney so it's not like this is a simple task. But this may be their best chance to get there for a couple of years, and I think it'll be disappointing if they fall short of that again.

BTW I was talking about O'Connor going right to an NHL camp in September and not a Prospect camp in July when he's done at Dartmouth, hopefully staying all four years!
                Gotcha. Ya know, he might. Speaking of professional hockey, Dartmouth announced today that Carl Hesler has a PTO with the Rochester Amerks, and River Rymsha has signed with the Norfolk Admirals.
                Last edited by GreenBear; 09-25-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

As GreenBear referenced, here is the info regarding Carl Hesler and River Rymsha as they continue their dream and love of the game. Good luck to both and thank you for the years you logged at Dartmouth!

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...contracts.aspx

Comment

Definitely not. Sometimes there are indications--Quin Foreman for example had put up goals wherever he'd been and came in with a D-1 skill set so him scoring at Dartmouth hasn't been a surprise. Other people put up big numbers but there could be factors to that--they may have been the beneficiary of linemates, or they played in a weaker league. Sometimes it's being an older player in a league of 17-18-19 year olds. The list goes on. As such, I'm not overly enthused about the recruiting class thus far when it comes to standout individuals--I don't think there's an O'Connor here--BUT I will say that I think they do have pieces that can well compliment what we have and can potentially develop as they play at Dartmouth.

That plus getting Hesler for (hopefully) a full season, having Urbank and LeSueur (hopefully) healthy and ready to go look to have the Big Green in a pretty good spot. Wouldn't pick them for 1st, but 4th isn't a stretch. In my Dare to Dream scenario I come up with 5th, Lake Placid, and Clark getting hot to give the Big Green a shot to do what Princeton did 2 years ago.

That's best case scenario, obviously. Realistically, Dartmouth has never won the ECAC tourney so it's not like this is a simple task. But this may be their best chance to get there for a couple of years, and I think it'll be disappointing if they fall short of that again.

Gotcha. Ya know, he might. Speaking of professional hockey, Dartmouth announced today that Carl Hesler has a PTO with the Rochester Amerks, and River Rymsha has signed with the Norfolk Admirals.
                    100% agreed on the prospects of getting to Lake Placid where anything can happen, pointing to Princeton just a couple of years ago...getting hot and putting the pieces together just at the right time. The key again, assuming the offense and goaltending will be at least the same (bare minimum) and hopefully better will be the back-end! This just needs to play it simple with defense-first mentality (right side of puck, handing 2 on 1's, covering the "house", holding the blue-line, etc) then first pass out tape to tape or if not there pucks out of zone, maybe carrying it (Matthews).

Comment

Announced today: 2019-20 captain: Brendan Demler. Alternate Captain: Cam Strong

I like both choices.

Comment

Announced today: 2019-20 captain: Brendan Demler. Alternate Captain: Cam Strong

I like both choices.
                        100% agreed on both choices as they both bring their lunch-pale mentality on the ice....all business! Now I would say that since this is a large senior class and many to choose from, I am sure this was a difficult decision made by the coaching staff for their choices. Regardless, they have one F and one D! Let's play hockey!!!

Comment

Hey everyone, it's time once again for the ECAC Pick the Standings Contest! It takes about 2 minutes of your time for a whole season of fun and a chance at eternal glory!

(forgive the blatant copy-pasting to every ECAC-related thread)
                          RPI Pep Band
                          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I'll be interested to see the lineup on Friday night. Will Graber, Shane Sellar didn't play against Harvard in the exhibition. Have tried to get more info from a friend of mine who is closer to the program than I am but all he had was that "yeah, they didn't play" and not much else.

So I don't know if this is anything lasting or if it isn't.....hence why Friday's lineup interests me. If they're not in Friday, it has to be injuries. And if that's the case, well....won't worry about until I need to.

Comment

I'll be interested to see the lineup on Friday night. Will Graber, Shane Sellar didn't play against Harvard in the exhibition. Have tried to get more info from a friend of mine who is closer to the program than I am but all he had was that "yeah, they didn't play" and not much else.

So I don't know if this is anything lasting or if it isn't.....hence why Friday's lineup interests me. If they're not in Friday, it has to be injuries. And if that's the case, well....won't worry about until I need to.
                              Wow, GreenBear nice catch/scoop! Either way I hope both of them are OK as they both fill-in needs for the team, aside from their senior leadership. If not, that opens the door for two more forwards... are you listening LeSueur, S Hesler, Blankemeir, maybe even a freshmen who I have no clues about. If they are injured/sick or whatever at least it is at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X