Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    So how will they determine who you guys play after the tie between UConn and StL? Goodluck by the way!! Convincing win over CC!
    Great to hear from you HockeyRef! The game between officially goes down as a tie but for Ledyard purposes, UConn won the shootout does thus they moved on to the "final". The winner between UConn and BG is winner takes all, including if it goes to a shootout! The games were predetermined on match ups but it happens to play out if it weren't this way! Hope this makes sense and Good Luck to you guys as well...I thinks its UNH!

Comment

BG is in the "finals" based on their convincing 5-2 victory over CC. Haven't seen CC and being in the NCHC, I would have thought they would have been much stronger! It looked like O'Connor had his skating legs as he showed why he is such a great prospect centering a line of with Gallant and Forman. I am assuming Graber is still on the mend and/or sit as he was a scratch. Gallant does a lot of the dirty work such as going to the net, net presence, puck retrievals...he did look good out there. Baker was his usual self, balls out action and was rewarded. The team D looked good and Clark was solid with one awesome glove save when the game was close.

Let's gooooo BG vs UConn!

Comment

I too was impressed with the play of Gallant!! CC didn't have much heart out there only #34 seemed like he came to play

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          BG is in the "finals" based on their convincing 5-2 victory over CC. Haven't seen CC and being in the NCHC, I would have thought they would have been much stronger! It looked like O'Connor had his skating legs as he showed why he is such a great prospect centering a line of with Gallant and Forman. I am assuming Graber is still on the mend and/or sit as he was a scratch. Gallant does a lot of the dirty work such as going to the net, net presence, puck retrievals...he did look good out there. Baker was his usual self, balls out action and was rewarded. The team D looked good and Clark was solid with one awesome glove save when the game was close.

Let's gooooo BG vs UConn!
          Graber still on the mend--heard he's day to day. Losurdo was out for his suspension after the major/DQ at Northeastern. I'd assume Losurdo is back today. Graber, who knows?No need to rush him back,I suppose, as that Gallant-OC-Foreman line looked as good as they have looked all season. I'd give them another crack at it if I were Bob Gaudet.

Another PPG, too...two I think. That's been huge, as Dartmouth has been awful in that department for the last few years. A competent PP really may be the difference between a realistic shot at Lake Placid and another 2nd round ouster.

I love how Baker gets the better of most hits with guys much larger than he is. Berzola played well defensively for CC, but I also recall he tried to run Baker and ended up being the one to fall down, while Baker kept going and set up a goal soon after.

Comment

Congrats Dartmouth Big Green fans!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Congrats Dartmouth Big Green fans!!
              Dartmouth--they lose games they should win, and win games they certainly should lose, like tonight's. Amazing it was 0-0 after UConn thoroughly dominated the 1st. I think they hit 3 posts. Dartmouth better in the 2nd, but gave up that shorthanded goal and I thought "Yeah, that's the kind of thing that loses games." Was ready to shovel dirt on them at 3-1. But them O'Connor scores on a shot that is saved 99 times out of 100, and Sam Hesler gets credit for a goal after review, and Foreman uses Gallant as a dummy and rifles home the winner...wow.

They're resilient, the Big Green. Have to give them credit for that. On to Princeton (and then Quinnipiac) and 4 very possible points on the road. But it won't be easy as it never is for Dartmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                Dartmouth--they lose games they should win, and win games they certainly should lose, like tonight's. Amazing it was 0-0 after UConn thoroughly dominated the 1st. I think they hit 3 posts. Dartmouth better in the 2nd, but gave up that shorthanded goal and I thought "Yeah, that's the kind of thing that loses games." Was ready to shovel dirt on them at 3-1. But them O'Connor scores on a shot that is saved 99 times out of 100, and Sam Hesler gets credit for a goal after review, and Foreman uses Gallant as a dummy and rifles home the winner...wow.

They're resilient, the Big Green. Have to give them credit for that. On to Princeton (and then Quinnipiac) and 4 very possible points on the road. But it won't be easy as it never is for Dartmouth.
                100% in agreement! Now let's be very clear, this is not a good trait! UCONN was definitely the more talented and skilled team but seemed to overpass which many teams like that do...looking for the pretty goal! I know they have a bunch of imports who looked really good with hands and feet! BG was left for the dead until that O'Connor harmless shot that trickled over the goalie. That changed the game leading to Foreman's deadly snipes!

Here's why they are not a top level team as yet, if they ever will! I think in the second period, they had tons of D zone turnovers and losing battles and coverages too easily, some of it unforced if you will. Just off the top of my head: Less with a weak blind backhand pass, Paul getting the puck taken in d zone trying to skate out, even their top pair on a PK with Palocik losing a battle behind the net and of all people Demler has clear possession coming out behind the net on his forehand to clear the zone and get a much needed change inexplicably puts his clearance right on to the tape of a U CONN player who now comes in on a vertical half d zone ice 2 on 1 with Demler facing it since he coughed it up. He commits and lets and pass get through him for an easy goal; Demler had seemed to correct or improve on that this year. Forwards had those issues too like Campbell, etc. Looks like Losurdo was a bit rusty!

Hopefully they can learn from this and not play not in and night out if they were playing for a coveted spot in LP. They certainly can take this as a positive! Go BG!!!

Comment

I loved O'Connor at center with Gallant and Foreman. I'd keep it for the upcoming weekend even if Graber is ready to come back. So IF he is healthy, what does the team do with Graber going forward?

IF...and this is a big IF...that line keeps clicking, I wonder if moving him back to the blueline would be a possibility. No, seriously. Baker and Hesler have good chemistry with their lines, and I don't think Graber centering Campbell and Blankmeier would be the best use for him.

Good problem to gave I suppose.

Comment

I loved O'Connor at center with Gallant and Foreman. I'd keep it for the upcoming weekend even if Graber is ready to come back. So IF he is healthy, what does the team do with Graber going forward?

IF...and this is a big IF...that line keeps clicking, I wonder if moving him back to the blueline would be a possibility. No, seriously. Baker and Hesler have good chemistry with their lines, and I don't think Graber centering Campbell and Blankmeier would be the best use for him.

Good problem to gave I suppose.
                    O'Connor at center, I am not sure! I do not believe he is a trained center. Couple of thoughts here: carrying the puck for sure, puck distribution ???, covering ice with his skating ability for sure, defensively responsible ???, crucial face offs ??? Bottom line your true score scorers should be your wing and should not be as responsible as a center defensively!

As far a Graber at D, I would spot/situational play him at D like they have the last few years but not full time as you will lose that scoring punch without him at center. That said, 3rd pair D has been a problem.

Comment

BG starts off the second half of the season with a thrilling 4-3 OT victory against Princeton! BG starts off like gang busters and take an early lead thanks to great look and pass by Hesler to Strong with the nice backhand finish. Thus far I would have to say Sam Hesler is little offensively gifted and thinking than his older brother Carl who played a more safer game. Sam has been really good the last month which I really couldn't last year based on playing time (injured). If BG would have gotten that second within the first ten minutes of the game, the game would have been over but to Princeton's credit they came back and tied and actually carried the play for the rest of the first. Clark should have saved that first goal; it was a cross ice (3/4 of the width one-timer) with nothing really dangerous occupying his "read". Nice breakaway goal from Rutherford who's skills just has not translated this far at BG. Then BG scores on the PP going high to low. Princeton's D were not very good with lots of gaping holes/gaps/lanes whether vertically or horizontally. The they the top line of O'connor et al mucks a goal in OT to win it after giving up a gut-wrenching tying goal with 16 seconds to go.

Observations:
                      - Clark has got to be more consistent; I have been banging this drum for awhile now; he has the skills and talent
                      - O'Connor is NOT a center; there is just too many players with sticks and bodies for him to shine with his skating ability; puck management/distribution ???
                      - Less is showing tons of offensively ability which has not come out like this; I think paired with Matthews allows him to do this
                      - Palocik (my guy) and how dare I say it; a right handed Yau (same number #6) ; coming in as a freshmen and being very good; he might be offensively ahead of Yau at this same juncture
                      - Baker and Hesler can show the way with energy and effort
                      - 3rd pair D still a mess; what happened to Markell

Let's goooo BG and maybe catch Q on a downer after big thumping of Harvard!

Comment

BG loses in convincing style 5-1 to the Q; Q was clearly the better team in all aspects of the game, including the intangibles last night is is troubling. BG barely outplays Q in the first then Q dominates thereafter. IF only and I know IF means nothing, BG gets a very juicy turnover minutes into the game right all alone in the high slot only to be stymied. Of note, couple of turnovers or near turnovers coming out from Q left D zone side might have changed the outcome or at the very least kept it more respectable IF capitalize. Also one in neutral zone leading to a odd man break. I will say that Q's first goal on the PP was NHL-caliber goal, from set, passing, to finish. BG has to fixed that through the box/diamond pass as it leaves Clark hung out to dry. Either the weakside F has to slide down quicker with stick in lane and/or weakside D has to detach from net presence F with stick in the lane then a possible block shot. Regardless, that goal given up was way too easy!

Quick hits:
                        - you can tell the difference in the skill between the two teams
                        - Q goalie outplayed BG goalie
                        - Palocik struggled, very understandable as a freshmen playing big minutes
                        - outcome here not a surprise as Q always play BG tough at home
                        - put this ONE loss and only one in the rearview mirror and regroup with lessons learned

Comment

Well, it was an uneven weekend for the BG as they tie and underwhelming (at least on paper) and rally to beat BU! I did not see either game so i will leave that up to GreenBear, I hope. So as GB stated earlier and I would have to agree, that BG somehow plays down against the lesser teams and gets psyched up for the better teams. Now is that the coaches' fault, team leadership's, or players? I would have to say its a combo of each but predominantly the players but at this level and going up, its mostly between the ears and the left side of the sternum!

Quick Hits:
                          - Palosik continues to impress and rack up the points
                          - O'Connor/Forman/Gallant keeps getting better
                          - Graber is back at least for this one
                          - To rally against BU and their talent (draft choices) is awesome

Comment

Well, it was an uneven weekend for the BG as they tie and underwhelming (at least on paper) and rally to beat BU! I did not see either game so i will leave that up to GreenBear, I hope. So as GB stated earlier and I would have to agree, that BG somehow plays down against the lesser teams and gets psyched up for the better teams. Now is that the coaches' fault, team leadership's, or players? I would have to say its a combo of each but predominantly the players but at this level and going up, its mostly between the ears and the left side of the sternum!
                            It was disappointing to tie at Vermont, but more than any of the choices you list, I think that was Stefanos Lekkas' fault. He earned UVM a tie: Dartmouth ran that game for most of it, but couldn't get the winner after tying it up. I don't think the effort was that different over the course of both nights: if BU had Lekkas, no way does Dartmouth come back from 3-0 down. Dartmouth was on the defensive much more against BU than they were against Vermont, but they were able to cash in their chances, and they generated quite a few: I don't want to make it sound like they were greatly outskated by BU as they really weren't. But they weren't at all against UVM, it was Lekkas. Even the tying goal at Vermont was one that Lekkas almost saved: he got a glove on it but couldn't keep it out--he came inches from stealing them a win.

No disrespect to Sam Tucker (or Ashton Abel who came in for him) but neither was at Lekkas' level, and I honestly think that was the difference more than how the BG approached the game.

Comment

- Palosik continues to impress and rack up the points
                              - O'Connor/Forman/Gallant keeps getting better
                              - Graber is back at least for this one
                              - To rally against BU and their talent (draft choices) is awesome
                              -I really liked Connor Yau on the BG's blueline. But Paloscik is a level above.
                              -I don't think that top line is broken up even with Graber back. I think he may stick on defense, as I kind of threw out there earlier. That was just a guess on my part that came to fruition; I thought I was going out on a limb. Guess not.
                              -That was a great rally but BU is not as good a team as Dartmouth. They just have individuals with more potential who I think see BU as a 1-year internship before going pro. And I don't mean that to be hard on those players--they're future pros and if I were them, I'd be the same I'm sure. But it's a challenge to develop cohesiveness in a program when so many guys come and go quickly.

I'll add one more: I LOVE Less/Matthews on defense. They quietly do a ton of things well that doesn't always show up in the scoresheet, but prevents the opponent from showing up there instead.

Comment

It was disappointing to tie at Vermont, but more than any of the choices you list, I think that was Stefanos Lekkas' fault. He earned UVM a tie: Dartmouth ran that game for most of it, but couldn't get the winner after tying it up. I don't think the effort was that different over the course of both nights: if BU had Lekkas, no way does Dartmouth come back from 3-0 down. Dartmouth was on the defensive much more against BU than they were against Vermont, but they were able to cash in their chances, and they generated quite a few: I don't want to make it sound like they were greatly outskated by BU as they really weren't. But they weren't at all against UVM, it was Lekkas. Even the tying goal at Vermont was one that Lekkas almost saved: he got a glove on it but couldn't keep it out--he came inches from stealing them a win.

No disrespect to Sam Tucker (or Ashton Abel who came in for him) but neither was at Lekkas' level, and I honestly think that was the difference more than how the BG approached the game.
                                Thnaks GB! That would certainly explain the tie with Lekkas standing on his head but if BG wants to be considered an upper tier team, they somehow must find a way to come out with a W.

Comment

Working...
                                X