Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth Big Green Season 2019-20; Now or Never

Talk about a 4-point punch in the gut! BG cannot hold leads and lose 4-3 in a fun to watch up and down game. Ok I tell it like it is and on many occasions I have more than given BG the benefit of the doubt with a glass half-full perspective. Until now, I have to call out the some repeat offenders. I know many will talk about "the SAVE" but so what if Clarky let's in 3 goals he easily could have saved (two of them of the egregious variety). As I hammered all along, just consistency in making the saves you are supposed to make and the timely "awesome" saves. Demler and the threaded turnover leading to the Yale lead. He had all the time in the world and put it right on the tape of a Yale player and to compound that Clarky let's in a clean 5-hole goal which by the way Markell plays the 2 on 1 perfectly taking away the pass and letting Clarky solely focus on the shooter. Clarky was there as he was squared up but a soccer ball would have come close to getting through that 5-hole. On what ends up to be the winning goal, Paul puck-watches and the passes back doors him for an easy tap in.

Yes, there is work to be done but BG CAN and WILL work it out. At this point, just secure home ice for the first round and we will go from there.

Thoughts GB?

Comment

You're right: "the save" (which was awesome) took a goal away, but Clark has to feel like there were 3 he could have had, and 2 he absolutely must have. That save matters a lot more if the Big Green win that game, say, 3-2. Against Brown he shook off a bad goal: it seemed like he never regained being comfortable after the 1st Yale score despite making that save later.

I just looked at the stats, and he's now sitting at .901 when he was close to .920 6 weeks ago. That isn't good, and the defense has to share in some of that, but Clark just hasn't been as good as he was from the Ledyard into mid-January. He has to be, or this team is likely to have the same ending as the last few years, if not sooner (if they get Union, for example. I don't like the possibility of playing Union for some reason: Princeton. Brown and especially St. Lawrence I don't worry about as much).

We've seen what this team can do when all the cogs in the machine work to their capability at the same time. We just haven't seen it enough, and certainly didn't last night against Yale.

Comment

BG back on the win column with a 5-2 W of the Saints. Although BG outplayed the Saints, the Saints hung in there and created havoc taking early leads. As the announcer, the second and tying BG goal turned the game around; it was a harmless shot from the goal line by O'Connor that hit the far in pad pad and through the 5 hole for the hole as right afterwards Palosik fires home a seeing-eye shot to upper corner for the lead. The rest was history. Really my only gripe was on the Saints PP goal. What was Paul doing? He was caught in nowhere's land. Kudos to the Saints for the adjustment as the PP before they did an umbrella which BG snuffed out pretty good. On the next PP which they scored. They put the strong side winger lower which forced tighter coverage from D man (or it should have). On their goal, Paul just stayed frozen not doing anything, meaning close up on shooter or block passing lane. Demler had the slot covered and Clark had the shot which was a great shot. Clark would have had a chance if he totally committed to the shooter but he didn't because on last PP they tried to feed the slot . Anyway that's me being real picky but those details are what separates the elite from everyone else.

Bottom line BG won the game they were supposed to win!

Comment

BG returns to the losing column with 4-0 loss to Clarkson. Actually BG controlled play the first 10 minutes but were stymied and that was the beginning of the end. As I have said many times before, Clarkson's D and team D are about as airtight as can be. They can downright lock-down which bodes very well for them in the NCAA's. In this sense, they are very similar to Cornell with less fire power on O

Random Thoughts:
          - Less and Palosik are BG's two best D by a mile
          - O'Connor let the puck do the work; had a teammate on his right at the blueline (would have been a breakaway) but instead tries to go thru 3 guys and gets picked
          - Paul might be a right handed Demler; please just play it simple defensive d man
          - Baker continues to reek havoc and should have been rewarded with a early goal; if he slows down (processes) that puck should have gone far post and not chest
          - Strong lots of activity/energy but not much results
          -

Comment

I agree with your assessment. I thought Dartmouth played pretty well for the most part, but just ran into one of those self-evident truths of sports, which is "sometimes the opponent is just better than you, and playing to their capability."

In other news, it was reported last week that Shane Sellar has entered the transfer portal. Ivy schools don't make it easy on players who get a 5th year playing remaining at their school. Too bad; I think Shane was poised to have a solid year.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
              I agree with your assessment. I thought Dartmouth played pretty well for the most part, but just ran into one of those self-evident truths of sports, which is "sometimes the opponent is just better than you, and playing to their capability."

In other news, it was reported last week that Shane Sellar has entered the transfer portal. Ivy schools don't make it easy on players who get a 5th year playing remaining at their school. Too bad; I think Shane was poised to have a solid year.
              Wow on Sellars! I thought you said he may have been injured; so must not not have been cleared to play this season! Trying to pull a Rymsha!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                Wow on Sellars! I thought you said he may have been injured; so must not not have been cleared to play this season! Trying to pull a Rymsha!
                Rymsha, Ailish Forfar on the womens side, etc...all had eligibility, but the Ivy makes it hard to use a 5th year at an Ivy school. Hence why these players moved on and spent their 5th year elsewhere.

Having Sellar this year would really have been interesting for the forward depth.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                  Rymsha, Ailish Forfar on the womens side, etc...all had eligibility, but the Ivy makes it hard to use a 5th year at an Ivy school. Hence why these players moved on and spent their 5th year elsewhere.

Having Sellar this year would really have been interesting for the forward depth.
                  GB, so just to be clear! Sellar is attending classes and on pace to graduate this year but has been injured and not able to play. Ivy's generally dissuade against an athlete coming back for their 5th year, albeit in grad school even though said athlete only has played 3 years of sports due to an injury! Is this scenario correct GB?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                    GB, so just to be clear! Sellar is attending classes and on pace to graduate this year but has been injured and not able to play. Ivy's generally dissuade against an athlete coming back for their 5th year, albeit in grad school even though said athlete only has played 3 years of sports due to an injury! Is this scenario correct GB?
                    From what I understand, pretty much. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to play a 5th year at an Ivy. I don't know what exactly those hoops are. But in the last few years, there were 2 hockey players--River Rymsha and Ailish Forfar--who had a 5th year due to injury and played elsewhere. From what I've heard from a friend of mine closer to the situation, it wasn't that either was disgruntled with Dartmouth and wanted to leave, but they'd graduated and there wasn't a way for them to continue there. I think Sellar is in the same boat.

I'll see if I can ask and find out more of those specifics which I don't have. I got the impression that Sellar would play next year at Dartmouth if he could, but he can't.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification albeit probably sucks for Sellar! We have been talking a lot about the process...how about Sellar himself! He was part of the original which I called Tree Line of Sellar/Graber/Forman. When they were put together they dominated with the height and reach, playing below the dots and generating many scoring chances and goals. That seem to spur on the coaching staff to keep a semblance of that kind of play. While Sellar was limited in his skating and skill, he got the most out of his ability. His puck tracking and retrieving ability were lights out and a perfect complement for Graber and Forman. He did the dirty work which opened up space for the other two which included a nuisance/pest with net front presence. Like you GB, I do hope he gets back a year or at bare minimum gets in this year (highly doubtful if he does to be a factor). Regardless, he will be set with a IVY league Dartmouth degree which ain't too shabby! Thanks and best of luck Shane!

Comment

If Dartmouth had Sellar to continue with Graber and Foreman, that frees up O'Connor, who I think could have really made some magic with Baker and another wing (Losurdo probably). It was a major loss to have had him out for the year.

Comment

BG holds serve and puts up a 5 spot on Union, winning 5-3. The saying goes your best players have to your best players and it certainly played out last night in O'Connor, Baker, Graber, and Palosik. I put Baker in that he is definitely getting better on his puck decisions and distribution to complement that hard-nosed and relentless effort every game. What I especially like about O' Connor are the varieties of goals he has been getting. Known for his fluid skating and speed through the neutral zone and perimeter, he scored some greasy goals last night putting in some juicy rebounds. I would have to say the Union goalie has to work on his rebound control. I hate to say I told you so but putting Graber back on F1 and sliding O'Connor down to F2 creates better mismatches and balance. Thoughts GB???

Comment

Please beat RPI. We need the week off. Assuming we do our part tonight against Union.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              Please beat RPI. We need the week off. Assuming we do our part tonight against Union.
                              So sorry Skate; you guys held serve and we didn't. However in a warped way I did not mind this. If we had won, it would have been playing St. Lawrence again and if we won it would have been another match up against you guys and we know how that ended the last couple of years. Good Luck as you guys are much too talented to sitting where you guys are sitting!

Comment

BG loses its final home and regular season game to RPI. This team I just cannot figure out, maybe I ought to just let it be and play out! I posted this above: However in a warped way I did not mind this. If we had won, it would have been playing St. Lawrence again and if we won it would have been another match up against you guys and we know how that ended the last couple of years.

I will pass on the hockey talk last night and rather talk about the seniors moving on to their next phase in life as for a majority it will be getting on with life and work. Thank you seniors for what you have given Dartmouth the past 4 years and as stated earlier, I truly feel for Sellars as he was injured all year.

Comment

Working...
                                X