Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    God just keeps changing His mind and coincidentally he stays on the side of whoever is the most power coercive force at any given moment.
    God is no fool.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      God is no fool.
      He's the smart money.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I drifted away when the kid-diddler scandal was swept under the rug the first time. As I entered my 20s and my politics changed, I looked back on the church's doctrinal positions, and they are no longer compatible with what I consider to be the facts of science and the realities of daily life.
        Not to mention the church is not compatible with good morals.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          He's the smart money.
          Omniscience helps.

Comment

Only infallible on matters of faith and morals.

Ergo, when Francis pontificates on political issues (such as the Trump border wall), he's not infallible.

It's worth noting, while Francis has given lip service to more compassion for LGBT+ folks, he hasn't exactly made sweeping doctrinal changes on the matter. The way Joe sometimes talks, you'd think the guy had singlehandedly issued a landmark papal bull legitimizing same-sex marriage.
            Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            all political issues are moral issues
            Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Not to mention the church is not compatible with good morals.
            Francis has paid lip service, yes. But the church still thinks I and my trans family are running around destroying creation. joe has openly told me "it's a lifestyle" that he "disagrees with." The church hasn't moved on THE BAY-BEEZ! So he should feel right at home in the Catholic church.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I'm also laughing at the idea the Catholic church is still relevant.
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                It is in the Third World, sadly. In Africa and South America the Catholic church's policies continue to lead to untold misery. They are hugely influential with the uneducated, just as they were once in Europe and North America. They could be a force for good if they could just pull their head out of whatever underage rectum it's lodging in.

Religion has its place as a ladder between barbarism and the first rung of civilization. Once you reach competence you have to throw the ladder away because it becomes a burden and a useless vestigial obstacle, but the ladder is still needed by the billions on the bottom who can't jump to the first rung.

Religion is the survey course in becoming human. Science is the graduate course. But most people need to take the survey course first -- only maybe 10% of the population places out of it.
                Last edited by Kepler; 10-09-2019, 10:05 AM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A large % of world population needs something to look forward to, cause it ain’t ever gonna happen here
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    A large % of world population needs something to look forward to, cause it ain’t ever gonna happen here
                    Ironically that attitude is what stops it from happening here, as the Haves calculated when they made sure the religions that the masses are exposed to protect their privileges.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      After one of the Councils of Vienna in the mid 19th century, the same death knell was sounded. She emerged even stronger.

I'll go for smaller but more effective.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        After one of the Councils of Vienna in the mid 19th century, the same death knell was sounded. She emerged even stronger.

I'll go for smaller but more effective.
                        Effective at what?
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Effective at what?
                          Hold on to money, power and control by keeping the Fairy Tale alive.

Comment

Effective at what?
                            He no help with curveball
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Effective at what?

Comment

That would be effective if I were Catholic, but I'm not.

Comment

Working...
                                X