Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I mourn what was tossed in the dustbin following V2. 1900 years of history were tossed in favor of something new and improved, like New Coke.

At least we still say (until recently it seems) "No."
    Well, wasn't the First Council of Nicaea basically a political convention held 300 years after Jesus' life to determine the nature of God? Religion is man-made, joe, always subject to revision.

Comment

I mourn what was tossed in the dustbin following V2. 1900 years of history were tossed in favor of something new and improved, like New Coke.

Bless your heart.

Comment

I drifted away when the kid-diddler scandal was swept under the rug the first time. As I entered my 20s and my politics changed, I looked back on the church's doctrinal positions, and they are no longer compatible with what I consider to be the facts of science and the realities of daily life.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          Well, wasn't the First Council of Nicaea basically a political convention held 300 years after Jesus' life to determine the nature of God? Religion is man-made, joe, always subject to revision.
          guys, everyone knows the church was immutable until V2 -- everything was set in stone and unchanging for 1900 years

Comment

Something tells you worship Catholicism itself, and in that, you worship what was instead of what is.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              guys, everyone knows the church was immutable until V2 -- everything was set in stone and unchanging for 1900 years
              God just keeps changing His mind and coincidentally he stays on the side of whoever is the most powerful coercive force at any given moment.
              Last edited by Kepler; 10-08-2019, 03:30 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                God just keeps changing His mind and coincidentally he stays on the side of whoever is the most power coercive force at any given moment.
                Also, I'm pretty sure joe thinks on the same line as this guy.
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  Something tells you worship Catholicism itself, and in that, you worship what was instead of what is.
                  I worship God in the persons of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost/Spirit thru His Church.

Catholicism is the perfect representation of God's plan. The idiots running things since the Edict of Milan in 314 have confused temporal power with spiritual power. Oh some have understood that the Kingdom is not of this world, but many have come to love the trappings of power and live like kings and princes.

However, for all Her faults, we have the promises of Christ to Peter.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I worship God in the persons of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost/Spirit thru His Church.

Catholicism is the perfect representation of God's plan. The idiots running things since the Edict of Milan in 314 have confused temporal power with spiritual power. Oh some have understood that the Kingdom is not of this world, but many have come to love the trappings of power and live like kings and princes.

However, for all Her faults, we have the promises of Christ to Peter.
                    You've already called Catholicsm the "one true faith," basically labeling people like me heretics.

Comment

At least with Episcopalians, we don't have such a ****ing ego that screams "we're the be all, end all of Christianity."

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                        At least with Episcopalians, we don't have such a ****ing ego that screams "we're the be all, end all of Christianity."
                        Joe thinks he’s funny in the political threads. He’s not. But his last post here is actually the funniest thing he’s ever said on here.

Comment

Catholicism is the perfect representation of God's plan.
                          ergo the Pope is infallible. so how do you explain your hatred of Francis?

certainly if god has a plan, it would include Francis becoming Pope.

(Edit: I think you have me on ignore, so I guess I won't get a response)
                          Last edited by BassAle; 10-08-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

That's the embarrassment for conservative Catholics. When JP2 was pope they excoriated liberal Catholics for being deviant on doctrinal matters because "the Pope is the voice of the church, you can't just pick and choose." But now that F1 is pope it turns out there's an escape clause.

Conservative claims like inerrancy, original intent, and strict construction are self-serving casuistries concealing radical right wing social engineering.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              ergo the Pope is infallible. so how do you explain your hatred of Francis?
                              Only infallible on matters of faith and morals.

Ergo, when Francis pontificates on political issues (such as the Trump border wall), he's not infallible.

It's worth noting, while Francis has given lip service to more compassion for LGBT+ folks, he hasn't exactly made sweeping doctrinal changes on the matter. The way Joe sometimes talks, you'd think the guy had singlehandedly issued a landmark papal bull legitimizing same-sex marriage.
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 10-08-2019, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Only infallible on matters of faith and morals.
                                Ergo, when Francis pontificates on political issues (such as the Trump border wall), he's not infallible.
                                all political issues are moral issues

Comment

Working...
                                X