Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2019-20 #1: Where Toronto Plans To Win Without Playing Defense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2019-20 #1: Where Toronto Plans To Win Without Playing Defense.

People are going to clamor for him all spring. Then in two years these same bowling alley blowhards are going to sit and ***** about how he's no good.....just like you're seeing now with Blashill. People couldn't wait to have him on the bench after Babcock.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      People are going to clamor for him all spring. Then in two years these same bowling alley blowhards are going to sit and ***** about how he's no good.....just like you're seeing now with Blashill. People couldn't wait to have him on the bench after Babcock.
      Unfortunately we're all on the same page here. But... I don't think Joe Sixpack in Farmington Hills realizes Gallant's playing history.

To be fair, I kinda only remembered myself and had to look up the years he was with the team.

He was at the heart of Jimmy Devellano's rebuild.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        I'm inclined to agree. First real step for Stevie Wonder starts in April, and it's two years of getting rid of bad contracts, and trying to draft well. Right now, this is pretty close to 85-86 redux. They'll still win more games than that team did, but only because of league parity and points welfare.

Comment

I don't see where this team is any better than that 40-point debacle we had in the mid-80s.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            I'm inclined to agree. First real step for Stevie Wonder starts in April, and it's two years of getting rid of bad contracts, and trying to draft well.
            https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Taking a peek at the UFA's, these contracts are gone after this season:
            Green, Ericsson, Daley, Biega, and Howard. If we're rebuilding, thats.... an awful lot to lose on the backend (despite some of them being awful). That leaves Dekeyser, Nemeth, Bowey (who's an RFA) and Hronek. That's... asking a whole lot from the kids.

Summer of 21 sees more "bad" contracts ending. But that's going to probably be the bottom of the curve before it gets better. I can see Howard, Ericsson, Green getting resigned for 20-21. Then they'll drop off the following year along with Helm, Flip, and Glendening.

But that doesn't solve the disaster that is Justin Abdelkater.

Mule's contracts is up after this year. Hank is the following year (and likely another LTIR in the meantime).

There does look to be some good D men in Grand Rapids (Seider, Cholowski, Lindström) but the forward depth is thin, and goaltending depth is non-existant. Stevie's got his work cut out for him.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

And Dekeyser will be 30 and coming off of season-ending back surgery. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                And Dekeyser will be 30 and coming off of season-ending back surgery. Yikes.
                Yep.

Also, pardon me while I silently weep about Dekeyser being 30 already. I have his home game-issued jersey from his first playoff series (12-13, first round against the Ducks). He broke his thumb in Anaheim in game two and never got a chance to wear the jersey. It seems like just two or three years ago I picked up that jersey from the Hockeytown Authentics store in JLA during a game.

Also, that was the year the Wings could have broke up the Blackhawks dynasty. But nooooOOOOOooooo.... Kronwall had to kick Seabrook's OT shot in behind Jimmy Howard in Game Seven.
                Last edited by aparch; 01-15-2020, 11:50 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Yep.

Also, pardon me while I silently weep about Dekeyser being 30 already. I have his home game-issued jersey from his first playoff series (12-13, first round against the Ducks). He broke his thumb in Anaheim in game two and never got a chance to wear the jersey. It seems like just two or three years ago I picked up that jersey from the Hockeytown Authentics store in JLA during a game.

Also, that was the year the Wings could have broke up the Blackhawks dynasty. But nooooOOOOOooooo.... Kronwall had to kick Seabrook's OT shot in behind Jimmy Howard in Game Seven.
                  Wings were up 3 games to 1 in that series after 4. Hardly all Kronner's fault.

Comment

I agree with that. You could see in those last three games that the long playoff runs were catching up and guys weren't the same as they were in '08 and '09.

What could have been in '13 though.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce, ... < facepalm >

https://sports.yahoo.com/boudreau-li...034123589.html

Paperwork matters.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

It's not just the Wings who are stinking up the joint in Detroit. Detroit teams (Tigers, Pistons, Lions included) combined for about 230 losses between them in 2019. The most out of any city.

I remember when I used to watch the Wings as a respite from the other three teams.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Maybe it was the Ginger Ale's talking, but on last night's Wings post game show, Mickey Redmond was waxing poetically about the struggles right now, and he (as we discussed here) sees the turn around coming. While we posted it felt more like the Dead Wings era, Mickey felt it's closer to the late 80's and the rocket ride up will be fun.

Also, I want to just sit for hours, sipping on ginger ales, listening to the old guys like Mickey, Ozzy, Larry, etc. tell stories of "the old days." The post game shows on Fox Sports Detroit are a hoot.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Earlier today:

WAS 1 0 5 6
                            NYI 2 2 0 4

Literally pulled up to a filling station and it has just become 4-2 NYI. Come out of station ... it's Five, Four, ... WASHINGTON!

Isles gonna Isle.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              Isles gonna Isle.
                              That's not an Isles thing to do, really. When we suck it's tape to tape.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Betty White recently turned 98. She was 45 the last time the Leafs won the Cup.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X