Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2019-20 #1: Where Toronto Plans To Win Without Playing Defense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2019-20 #1: Where Toronto Plans To Win Without Playing Defense.

Dangle can be funny, his “Dang-its” on the Sportsnet YouTube channel are great.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      And the first star and the HNIC towel in the postgame interview.

What a pathetic effort by the Leafs
      There's a great post-game interview with him floating around. Seems like a genuinely good guy.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So, stupid question - that guy was “EBUG” (and can I just say, I kinda don’t like that EBUG is an actual term/acronym but whatevs) for either team?

Actually, here are more stupid questions....

How did they have a jersey with his name on it so fast??? How long was the game delayed while they made the decision that he had to get in the game? Since he was kind of an employee of the Leafs, could they have said no? What if there was no EBUG onsite? Would the game have been postponed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          So, stupid question - that guy was “EBUG” (and can I just say, I kinda don’t like that EBUG is an actual term/acronym but whatevs) for either team?

How did they have a jersey with his name on it so fast??? How long was the game delayed while they made the decision that he had to get in the game? Since he was kind of an employee of the Leafs, could they have said no? What if there was no EBUG onsite? Would the game have been postponed?
          There is always 1 emergency goalie in the arena every game. It's as simple as that.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            There is always 1 emergency goalie in the arena every game. It's as simple as that.
            Apparently Ayres was the "house EBUG" all last year in Toronto and his number happened to come up last night too. Every host team must provide one every game -- like the host provides the horses in NCAA polo.

He's equipment. It's like providing the ice.

As for getting the name on the jersey I'll bet it was jerry-rigged.
            Last edited by Kepler; 02-23-2020, 08:52 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

For the last decade or so, the home team is required to have an emergency backup goalie available to either team.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                For the last decade or so, the home team is required to have an emergency backup goalie available to either team.
                So interesting! Thanks all for letting me know. There now needs to be a feature on who these guys are, how they got said positions, etc. i would love to see a story like that. Now it just begs more questions (indulge me)....

- Are these guys employees of the home team or arena? David Ayres is a Zamboni driver. What do others do?
                - How do they get paid if called into service? I’m assuming if you are designated as an EBUG, you sign some sort of agreement.
                - I’m wondering if some home teams have a few of them on hand (if not someone like the zamboni driver)

It’s just such a cool story. And it totally overshadowed Ovi’s 700th goal!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Apparently Ayres was the "house EBUG" all last year in Toronto and his number happened to come up last night too. Every host team must provide one every game -- like the host provides the horses in NCAA polo.....
                  Is that so the horse is familiar with the pool and won’t get scared??
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Is that so the horse is familiar with the pool and won’t get scared??
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      - How do they get paid if called into service? I’m assuming if you are designated as an EBUG, you sign some sort of agreement.
                      According to an interviewer it's 500 bucks. I think that, having played, he should get the league minimum and a full NHL pension. Now I have to root for the Canes to win the Cup so he gets his name on it.
                      Cornell University

Comment

From what I've read, and was kinda answered here:

There is an NHL contract drawn up for EBUGs where for one "day" of service, they get paid $500 for the game and get to keep their Jersey.

They cannot have professional experience, and cannot currently have an NHL contract.

Generally the EBUG contract gets to ride pine and never sees game action.

The home club is obligated to provide an EBUG to both home and road teams if needed.

Ayres has been called upon to be the EBUG previously with the Maple Leafs and Marlies, and was actually suited up for Carolina's AHL Charlotte Checkers against the Marlies just three weeks ago, but never saw game time.

He has his own mask (or one painted for him), but was (from what I saw by the excited former/current goaltenders I follow) using an old set of pads and gear from current Marlie Kasimir Kaskisuo, and a goalie stick from former Marlie Garett Sparks. He has occasionally filled in as netminder for both the Leafs and the Marlies over the last few years when they were in a pinch and couldn't get a goalie to practice in time.

As for the jersey he wore, each team brings a couple extras with them along with extra material and letters in case they need to make repairs or make a new jersey for a player. As F2B&G said, it was likely cobbled together, but they had plenty of time to make it from the initial injury to James Reimer to when Mrazek was injured. There were photos posted by Ayres wife that showed him proudly holding the jersey before Mrazek was hurt.

The last EBUG to get a hero's welcome like this was former Western Michigan goalie and adult rec league player Scott Foster who played most of the third period for the Blackhawks. Foster saw seven shots and made all seven saves to preserve the win for the Hawks that night.

The only other EBUG to see ice time in the history of the NHL was Carolina Hurricanes equipment manager Jorge Alves in 2016. Alves saw the last seven seconds of game time from the net, but I believe he never faced a shot.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          There's a great post-game interview with him floating around. Seems like a genuinely good guy.
                          Livin' the dream we've all had.

His wife's Twitter feed blew up the internet last night.

Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            From what I've read, and was kinda answered here:

There is an NHL contract drawn up for EBUGs where for one "day" of service, they get paid $500 for the game and get to keep their Jersey.

They cannot have professional experience, and cannot currently have an NHL contract.

Generally the EBUG contract gets to ride pine and never sees game action.

The home club is obligated to provide an EBUG to both home and road teams if needed.

Ayres has been called upon to be the EBUG previously with the Maple Leafs and Marlies, and was actually suited up for Carolina's AHL Charlotte Checkers against the Marlies just three weeks ago, but never saw game time.

He has his own mask (or one painted for him), but was (from what I saw by the excited former/current goaltenders I follow) using an old set of pads and gear from current Marlie Kasimir Kaskisuo, and a goalie stick from former Marlie Garett Sparks. He has occasionally filled in as netminder for both the Leafs and the Marlies over the last few years when they were in a pinch and couldn't get a goalie to practice in time.

As for the jersey he wore, each team brings a couple extras with them along with extra material and letters in case they need to make repairs or make a new jersey for a player. As F2B&G said, it was likely cobbled together, but they had plenty of time to make it from the initial injury to James Reimer to when Mrazek was injured. There were photos posted by Ayres wife that showed him proudly holding the jersey before Mrazek was hurt.

The last EBUG to get a hero's welcome like this was former Western Michigan goalie and adult rec league player Scott Foster who played most of the third period for the Blackhawks. Foster saw seven shots and made all seven saves to preserve the win for the Hawks that night.

The only other EBUG to see ice time in the history of the NHL was Carolina Hurricanes equipment manager Jorge Alves in 2016. Alves saw the last seven seconds of game time from the net, but I believe he never faced a shot.
                            HNIC showed the trainer putting the letters on the back of the Canes sweater after Reimer got hurt.

He came out with blue pants on and the Canes equipment guy gave him a red shell in the intermission.

Comment

Ayres is a maintenance and Zam man at the Mattamy Athletic Center in the old Maple Leaf Gardens. It is the home of Ryerson University hockey (my alma mater) and was built across what was the greens and gray seats of the Gardens. The lower level is now a Loblaws grocery store.

I think Ayres also occasionally works on the ice crew at Scotiabank Arena, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                                Ayres is a maintenance and Zam man at the Mattamy Athletic Center in the old Maple Leaf Gardens. It is the home of Ryerson University hockey (my alma mater) and was built across what was the greens and gray seats of the Gardens. The lower level is now a Loblaws grocery store.

I think Ayres also occasionally works on the ice crew at Scotiabank Arena, too.
                                Yes, I believe he mentioned both those things. He also coaches Bantam and runs some ute group. He's a classic rink rat.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X