Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    It is, but after seeing the hit on Woken during the 3 on 3, it would really suck to have someone suffer a major injury during some exhibition that only counts in the eyes of the WCHA. The 3 on 3 involves tired players playing with desperation, and I think at some point, an injury will result.
    Yes, but that can be reduced if you have refs who are actually willing to call penalties. The advantage of having a 4 on 3 should be significant enough to reduce hits like that. When you have refs that simply refuse to call penalties, even on dangerous hits, you've got bigger issues regarding player safety.

Once you get into the upper, upper-body type injuries, timelines seem difficult to come by. And that's assuming that anyone is forthcoming with injury info, which they usually aren't. But for something like a broken bone, you might get an unofficial "after the new year." Having observed the Kessel injury, how would anyone have been able to predict that time table along the way.
    I hadn't even heard what the injury itself was, so thanks for that. It certainly explains why there wouldn't be any timeline.

Comment

I still vote for playing five minutes of 5 on 5, and if it's still a tie, fair enough.
      I could live with that as well, or maybe 8 minutes of O.T. like they do in high school. But now that the 3 on 3 is part of league games the coaches have to figure out how to make it work for their team, given their strengths and vulnerabilities.

Question: What happens when a team is assessed a penalty during a 3 on 3? I assume they would have to play shorthanded, resulting in a 3 on 2? And if they were to take another, a 3 on 1?
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Question: What happens when a team is assessed a penalty during a 3 on 3? I assume they would have to play shorthanded, resulting in a 3 on 2? And if they were to take another, a 3 on 1?
        No, the other team gets to add skaters, so it would become a 4-on-3 and then a 5-on-3. As penalties expire, they go back to the 3 on 3 format at the next whistle.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

But now that the 3 on 3 is part of league games the coaches have to figure out how to make it work for their team, given their strengths and vulnerabilities.
          Just like shootouts, right? (ducks for cover)

Sorry; couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

As a Red Wings fan, Sydney Scobee is starting to remind me of Chris Osgood. At the end of the day, I feel like she lets in about the number of goals one would reasonably expect based upon the shots taken, but the saves she doesn't make would often have been easier than the ones she does. Her adventures in playing the puck are a disaster waiting to happen; I'd be less likely to have a stroke if she'd just content herself with stopping the puck behind the net and leave playing it to her defensemen.
            This both made me laugh and shake my head in agreement. Funny and on the nose assessment.
            It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

In this evening's exhibition game it was Minnesota 9, Hamline 0. SOG were 47-13. Taylor Heise with the hat trick, and added an assist. Makayla Pahl got her first opportunity in goal, making 13 saves for the shutout.

As the game wore on the coaches gave the usual forth line extended playing time, and gave many others the opportunity to play different positions. In so doing it became increasingly obvious why those players who normally play forward should stay there...and same for the regular D who got a tryout at forward.

Overall an entertaining game to watch, even with the lopsided play and score. Lots of Hamline fans there to cheer their team on. And kudos to their players who never quit until the final buzzer.

Comment

Makayla Pahl got her first start in goal, making 13 saves for the shutout.
                FYP. She came on in relief in the previous two exhibitions and in Game 2 at MSU, playing a period in each.

Did I err greatly in skipping it?

Comment

FYP. She came on in relief in the previous two exhibitions and in Game 2 at MSU, playing a period in each.
                  Noted, thanks for pointing this out.

Did I err greatly in skipping it?
                  Yes, unless you were super busy getting ready for deer season.

Comment

Yes, unless you were super busy getting ready for deer season.
                    Partially, but primarily a case of raking leaves before the snow fell.

More than anything, I got my fill of walloping teams that can't defend themselves in the first couple of years that I followed the Gophs. In recent years, we've beaten SCSU or OSU by similar scores, but they can rebound to play us close in another game. I'll still show up for the exhibitions vs the Toronto Junior Aeros of the world, because it is the first opportunity to see the new team.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Four days to savor for Amy Potomak and Gophers women's hockey

(also, why Hamline's coach, former Gopher Natalie Darwitz, wanted to play the Gophers in last night's exhibition)

http://www.startribune.com/four-days...gn=Puck%20Drop

Comment

This is what it SHOULD be. I just don't think 3 on 3 is real hockey.

So from the MN viewpoint, which team has better D or should I say D who played better last weekend? UW or UM?
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          This is what it SHOULD be. I just don't think 3 on 3 is real hockey.

So from the MN viewpoint, which team has better D or should I say D who played better last weekend? UW or UM?
                          I'd give a slight edge to the WisconSIN group. I think they have a bit more speed and tend to move the puck a little quicker than Minnesota. Minnesota's D, as a group, shoot the puck a little better than WisconSIN.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            I'd give a slight edge to the WisconSIN group.
                            I wouldn't. Through the first four D, I think that an argument can be made either way; you like the style of D that you like. However, if you get to the 5th and 6th D, I think it shifts in Minnesota's favor. Even at the top of the UW D-corps, I thought that some things were exposed, in that they didn't match up well against 9, 12, or 16.

Comment

I wouldn't.
                              Of course you wouldn't...

Even at the top of the UW D-corps, I thought that some things were exposed, in that they didn't match up well against 9, 12, or 16.
                              True but maybe in their "defense", very few, if any, can match up with those 3.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                True but maybe in their "defense", very few, if any, can match up with those 3.
                                A definite possibility. However, I think that Rolfes and Gardner did well on the whole against UM last year. I thought that their departure was evident this weekend. Based on past history, I'm sure that the Badgers' D will be improved when we see them next.

Comment

Working...
                                X