Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Offhand I don't recall the Gophers dominating another Top 10 team this season like they did tonight. Final shots were 50-17, and through two periods they were 37-9. A great "bounce back" win after last weekend in Madison, thanks in large measure to sophomore Amy Potomak, who had what was probably the best game of her Gopher career - and that's saying something. A pure hat trick in the first period, then adding an assist in the second. Wow.

Congrats to her and to the entire team on a great effort tonight! Good crowd, with 2,627 in attendance, got to see the Gophers play one of their best games of the season, maybe THE best.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Had other plans tonight but was just able to run through the replay on Flo after I got home. Certainly well played by Minnesota but I think UMD fans would say their team stunk. They would be correct in that assessment.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

First time in my memory losing four of six.
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
          First time in my memory losing four of six.
          We lost five of the first six games of January 2007, the season when many program lows were reached.

I didn't think we were bad yesterday, but that is a small moral victory. I think it is time for the coaches to try to discover some ways to improve. The top line has been shut out for three straight games, and was rather inconsistent even before that. I would make a change just to keep it fresh; you can always go back to these line combos later. They keep getting sent out their for the PP as though they are the top unit, and that hasn't been the case for a while now. It hurt to fall behind so early. Rooney was up to the task on what they could muster from there. Nice shot by Brodt for the second goal, but I thought that she spent too much of the weekend trying to be an enforcer and not enough playing hockey. Gophers have some things to clean up and not many weeks left in which to do it.
          Last edited by ARM; 02-02-2020, 05:04 PM.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It's getting to the point where saying they have some things to clean up just doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Or if it does, maybe it's for a period, or maybe even a game but then they revert back to having struggles.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              It's getting to the point where saying they have some things to clean up just doesn't seem like it's going to happen.
              That seems to be the direction in which they're trending. There are a couple of reasons for hope, though. One is that I think that they have the pieces that can be competitive. It's not like a couple of years ago where they were at a talent deficit to some teams. The other positive is that I don't think that there is a super team out there that is unbeatable.

Realistically, when you look at their failure to sweep ranked opponents, it doesn't bode well for suddenly being able to win three straight against such teams.

Comment

Weekend attendance 5,594 which I believe is a Ridder Arena record for the Gophers in a series in which Wisconsin was not the opponent.
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Realistically, when you look at their failure to sweep ranked opponents, it doesn't bode well for suddenly being able to win three straight against such teams.
                  Which doesn't differentiate them at all from anyone except Wisconsin. Since the end of November, Northeastern is 1-1 against teams in the top ten in KRACH. Cornell is 1-0-1, going to 2-0-1 if you go by RPI. Ohio State is 2-2.

So, either Wisconsin is going to win again, or some team that can't manage to sweep ranked opponents will manage three straight against such teams. I don't think that Minnesota is the favorite at this point, but even Wisconsin has some problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    So, either Wisconsin is going to win again, or some team that can't manage to sweep ranked opponents will manage three straight against such teams. I don't think that Minnesota is the favorite at this point, but even Wisconsin has some problems.
                    Yes, if no team separates from the rest in the coming weeks, then it could be like 2018 or 2010, when somebody wins three straight because it is a mathematical requirement of the bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      The Gophers can't seem to sweep top ten teams. Wisconsin is struggling to sweep teams that aren't top ten. If you're focused on the NCAA tournament, the latter doesn't seem like a big problem to have. Unless you get the #1 seed. Which, right now, is Wisconsin.

Comment

I just had a brain storm. If UW fires Granato, I think they should look at Frosty. It's such a shame watching such a talented guy waste away where he is now.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I just had a brain storm. If UW fires Granato, I think they should look at Frosty.
                          It took you a week to come up with that? Maybe you should look at Red Berenson. He has plenty of FF experience, and he'd make MJ look downright young by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I just had a brain storm. If UW fires Granato, I think they should look at Frosty. It's such a shame watching such a talented guy waste away where he is now.
                            courtesy of Menards or Farm & Fleet?

Nobody wants the UW men's team to win more than me, I miss the days you could go to the UW ticket office Friday morning and buy tickets for that nights women's game against the Gophers.
                            Last edited by pokechecker; 02-11-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                              courtesy of Menards or Farm & Fleet?

Nobody wants the UW men's team to win more than me, I miss the days you could go to the UW ticket office Friday morning and buy tickets for that nights women's game against the Gophers.
                              I'm a Fleet Farm guy, though now they are not family owned anymore like Menards is, so I am wavering. On the one hand I'd rather give my money to a WI company than a global hedge fund. Plus Menards sponsors some of my favorite racecar drivers. But I hate the layout of a Menards vs Fleet, and Fleet is my favorite place for fishing supplies. As you can see I am rather conflicted.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Congratulations to Emily Brown, Taylor Heise, Gracie Ostertag, Sarah Potomak, Taylor Wente, and Alex Woken on being recognized as WCHA Scholar-Athletes.

Six Gophers Honored by WCHA
                                https://gophersports.com/news/2020/2...d-by-wcha.aspx
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X