Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Today's game is frustrating in a completely different way than yesterday's. It's been very evenly played, and could as easily be 2-0 the other way. Norby's two goals have cleared the post by an aggregate of about an inch.
    Are we really watching the same game? I'm as big of a homer as anybody but my eyes are telling me that the first two periods have NOT been "very evenly played". Hopefully the Gophers still have some gas in the tank and can mount something resembling a comeback in Period 3. But so far I'm not seeing it anything of the sort. Frustrating!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm sitting right behind the net the Gophers shot at twice. It was a better game.

Comment

I'm sitting right behind the net the Gophers shot at twice. It was a better game.
        I could only watch portions of last night's game on my phone, so I can't compare the two. I will say that they played better today in the 3rd period, but they still didn't generate much in the way of close-in scoring opportunities. Credit Wisconsin for playing good team defense.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Both teams played better today than yesterday. And Minnesota did it with only five defensemen. I hope Knowles isn't out long.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Are we really watching the same game? I'm as big of a homer as anybody but my eyes are telling me that the first two periods have NOT been "very evenly played". Hopefully the Gophers still have some gas in the tank and can mount something resembling a comeback in Period 3. But so far I'm not seeing it anything of the sort. Frustrating!
            I thought a very even game. Badgers got a couple to go, Gophers didn't. That's about all.

(Yay! They fixed the web site)

Adding: Man, these Badger-Gopher games just get played at different speed!
            Last edited by robertearle; 01-25-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Both teams played better today than yesterday. And Minnesota did it with only five defensemen. I hope Knowles isn't out long.
              I think both team did play better today, but my eyes say UW was better in the first period, way better in the second period and better in the 3rd as well. I'd say UW won 6 of 7 periods this weekend. It was fun even though neither team had very many SOG. I think it would be neat to play UM every weekend. When 2 top team play it's "real" hockey with up and down action. Hemming an opponent in their own zone for long periods of time isn't the most exciting rendition of hockey. Hopefully the rest of the wwcha will continue to get better and close the gap.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Now that I'm home, I'll go into why I think yesterday's game was so close despite the final score. Both teams tightened up their defense and good scoring chances were hard to come by. Indeed, neither of Norby's goals was a particularly good chance until it went in.

On the first, Wethington had Norby tied up in front of the net. Norby reached through her to just get a stick on a deflection that hit the inside of the far post and in. Any further to the outside, and it bounces off the post and out. Any further to the inside, and Scobee makes a skate save.

On the second, Norby realized as she was getting the puck that Brown was screening Scobee, and instantly fired a shot that hit the far top corner. Again, a couple of inches in either direction and it goes wide or Brown blocks it. I wish more players would make that kind of play without having to stop and think about it.

Both goals involved great recognition, great effort, good physical skills, and more than a little bit of luck. And Wisconsin didn't dominate the period; those were two of only four shots they had.

Minnesota had as many decent chances to score first and second as Wisconsin. And if that's the way it had gone, it's a different game. Unlike Friday, or the two games in Minneapolis, this was a classic Gopher/Badger game. Wisconsin, when things are going right, plays completely differently with a lead than when they're behind.

Comment

I can accept when a team like Minnesota has a stretch like the last two weekends going 1-3 when they are playing more talented teams (mainly Wisconsin) like what has occurred in some previous years. But I don't think (my opionion, you are free to disagree) that that is the case this year. Minnesota has the talent to be the best team in Women's College Hockey. But it's disappointing to see this team struggle to have consistency in play starting games, from period to period, and even game to game.

Given that, the team still has a record 0f 20-4-3 and I'll continue to hold out hope that they can become more consistent until they can't.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Were you on the glass on the bench side of the tunnel? I saw a person sitting there with a blazing yellow jersey on.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Were you on the glass on the bench side of the tunnel? I saw a person sitting there with a blazing yellow jersey on.
                      On Saturday, he was sitting in Section 10 (away from the benches), just across the aisle and maybe a row or two away from the guys who put up the signs directly behind the goal and above the tunnel, and chant stuff, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        On Saturday, he was sitting in Section 10 (away from the benches), just across the aisle and maybe a row or two away from the guys who put up the signs directly behind the goal and above the tunnel, and chant stuff, etc.
                        And on Friday, I was across the ice from the benches, almost on the red line.

Comment

And on Friday, I was across the ice from the benches, almost on the red line.
                          I thought being that close to the "cheering section" on Saturday was a curious choice. Yours or your host's? And how did you enjoy their cheerleading? :-)
                          Last edited by robertearle; 01-27-2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            I thought being that close to the "cheering section" was a curious choice. Yours or your host's? And how did you enjoy their cheerleading? :-)
                            I think that they think they are a lot cleverer than they actually are. I chose it, because I wanted to watch from the end of the rink, which is my preferred viewing angle, though I like being higher than is possible in LaBahn.

Also, if you see someone in the #29 Rose jersey I wore on Saturday, you can pretty much guarantee that that's me. I was once asked if that was my daughter, and I wasn't sure how to answer.

Comment

I think that they think they are a lot cleverer than they actually are. I chose it, because I wanted to watch from the end of the rink, which is my preferred viewing angle, though I like being higher than is possible in LaBahn.
                              Much of what they do, obviously, is brought over from men's games. And it somehow "works" better there with a full student section doing it than when it is four guys alone doing it. I appreciate their 'lack of shame', so to speak, and I really appreciate the more spontaneous "let's go red" stuff at critical times in a competitive game. But if I were an 'opposing' fan, I think I'd choose to be farther away than you were.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                                extending the home streak without a hat trick.
                                That first period was fun. The streak is finally over.

I threw my hat on the ice after APot went 1, 2, 3 to give the team a nice 3-0 jump start.

The major drama for the rest of the game was whether nekowxela would also get three.
                                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Working...
                                X