Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Interestingly, both Beebe and Robinson wear #18, so that isn't all that helpful. :-)
    It certainly would be helpful if you logged in and watched it. One wears green and white and the other 18 is wearing a different color I think?

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
      Kicking someone in the back when you don't know it's coming. Not even close to the same. Seems you are making excuses for Beaver behavior.
      I get it. Your precious Gophers can do no wrong. Interesting that I was at Friday's game sitting next to a Gopher fan who pointed out two occasions where a Gopher slashed a Beaver in the back of the leg when the ref wasn't looking. Both incidents were as cheap as cheap can get.

And what does the rule book say about throwing punches? Is there an automatic severe penalty for that (I honestly have no idea)? If so, Robinson should have received that penalty for the punches she threw AFTER the cheap retaliation hit on Beebe. And, yes, BSU #8 would then get the same penalty for the punch at Robinson.

Again, my point is call it by the book on all players involved and not on how loud a hit is. And I 100% agree that head injuries need to be avoided at all costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
        I get it. Your precious Gophers can do no wrong. Interesting that I was at Friday's game sitting next to a Gopher fan who pointed out two occasions where a Gopher slashed a Beaver in the back of the leg when the ref wasn't looking. Both incidents were as cheap as cheap can get.

And what does the rule book say about throwing punches? Is there an automatic severe penalty for that (I honestly have no idea)? If so, Robinson should have received that penalty for the punches she threw AFTER the cheap retaliation hit on Beebe. And, yes, BSU #8 would then get the same penalty for the punch at Robinson.

Again, my point is call it by the book on all players involved and not on how loud a hit is. And I 100% agree that head injuries need to be avoided at all costs.
        Actually more of a Mavs fan that didn't feel like driving to Madtown and took in a local game instead as we are friends with Beavers, Gophers as well. Really would just like to see the last couple minutes of play cleaned up so things don't get out of hand. No unnecessary hits, no punches, no kicks. One thing that came to mind if your mad your team is getting beat badly it doesn't make sense to take it out on the 4th line in garbage time. Most likely they weren't the ones that made you mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
          Actually more of a Mavs fan that didn't feel like driving to Madtown and took in a local game instead as we are friends with Beavers, Gophers as well. Really would just like to see the last couple minutes of play cleaned up so things don't get out of hand. No unnecessary hits, no punches, no kicks. One thing that came to mind if your mad your team is getting beat badly it doesn't make sense to take it out on the 4th line in garbage time. Most likely they weren't the ones that made you mad.
          Or. better yet, if your mad at the other team how about you score a **** goal?!

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
            Or. better yet, if your mad at the other team how about you score a **** goal?!
            Well played my friend, well played

Comment

Looks like we Gopher fans will get "The Brick" off Andover's top line, while "Slimy" will be headed to Minnesota State Mankato. Meanwhile Minnesota Duluth will have the services of another "Gabby" from Andover, namely speedster Gabby Krause. The three of them form quite the first line, which others on the team have come to call the "Purple Derples".

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/new...e/show/1066365
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Looks like we Gopher fans will get "The Brick" off Andover's top line...
                That's a good fit, given the "brick by brick" slogans that UM teams have used. I think that volleyball still uses a brick wall motif on its jerseys.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

"Watching her team’s overtime loss to Brainerd/Little Falls in the state tournament semifinals, a game in which Andover outshot the Warriors 40-23, taught Nelson “we can’t be perimeter players,’’ she said. “We have to crash the net. We can’t try to do just fancy plays. We have to get dirty.”

something the team subject of this thread should embrace

Comment

Shearen is not dressed for today's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      Shearen is not dressed for today's game.
                      # 18 was for Bemidji. If you get the equivalent of 1/3 a minor penalty it will probably happen again. There needs to be an additional deterrent for major penalties in the last 2 minutes of a game. As it stands now Majors are essentially less than minors. Just shook my head seeing her on the ice today.

Comment

Moved from the scores thread:

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        There is a lot more I could say but at this point playing the way they did and coming away with 4 pts on the weekend seems fortunate.
                        Again, I disagree. That felt about right. The Gophers looked really good for two periods yesterday and held on for a win. They didn't look as good on Friday, and got a tie.

UMD came out and played really hard. If either of these teams should be asking themselves questions right now, it isn't the Gophers. The Bulldogs need to explain how the team I watched this weekend got swept by the Bemidji team I watched last weekend, and only came away with one point against Ohio State. Duluth can be really good, but apparently doesn't come close to their potential on a regular basis. Crowell should also ask the Minnesota State Police to put out an APB for a gold medal winning goalie, because there appears to be one missing.

Minnesota's effort level wasn't there for the first two periods on Friday, but that wasn't an issue the rest of the weekend. They lost races to the puck that they shouldn't have, including letting UMD negate several icings they shouldn't have been close to. The other problem on Friday was lazy passing. There were a bunch that the Gophers just put nothing on, handing them to a Bulldog. And the drop passing was horrific, leading to a lot of really bad turnovers. That didn't come up much on Saturday.

There have been a few periods lately, one against Wisconsin and one against Bemidji, where Minnesota couldn't get the puck out of their defensive end, but also didn't let the opponent get the puck off the boards and gave up very few quality scoring chances. That's what the first half of yesterday's third period looked like, and then the Bulldogs started getting those chances. It wasn't a lack of effort. If anything, it was players trying to do too much. It felt like the Gophers panicked a bit and started overpursuing to one side. UMD had a lot of success getting a player completely free on the weak side. That's how they scored their extra attacker goal, and it's what led to Boreen's penalty. UMD had several other chances on similar plays that they couldn't convert. This is not something I've noticed the Gophers having a problem with before, so I suspect that Duluth was doing something to create the openings.

Sydney Scobee was tremendous this weekend. You wanted to take style points away from her yesterday, but considering how much of the third period she spent with 4-5 bodies within a couple feet of her crease, she looked great. She didn't lose sight of the puck in traffic. There were three times on the weekend when Bulldogs moved the puck quickly from side to side and Scobee stone cold stole goals from them. I'm pretty sure she got into their heads, and in the final period tried to make perfect shots into mostly empty nets to keep from being robbed again.

The third line had a great series. The one thing that's been consistently missing this year is scoring from Skaja/Oden/Borren. That's changing over the last couple of weeks, and if they continue to put the puck in the net, this is a very dangerous team. Boreen had several quality chances, including a breakaway that forced Rooney to make a nice pad save.

If you want concerns, I have three.

Wethington is playing like she thinks she can do anything she wants. She has the potential to be that kind of Bozek/Stecklein defenseman, but she's not there yet. She gets into trouble carrying the puck when a pass would serve better.

The #6/#13 defensive pairing is becoming concerning, especially the latter. Hengler was on the ice for three of the UMD goals on the weekend, and the second on Friday was largely on her as she broke out of the zone as the Bulldogs were forcing a turnover, leaving Ostertag trying to corral two players at once. She's out of position a lot. I mostly think it's a matter of taking a deep breath and slowing things down.

Lastly, the Gophers just aren't drawing any penalties. Some of that is the officiating; there's no way that the Gophers committed four times as many infractions as the Bulldogs yesterday, and they missed Sarah Potomak getting elbowed in the head on Friday. But, outside of Bemidji going full on goon towards the end of the second game in that series, they've had a total of ten power plays in the last seven games, half of them in just one game. I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe it is entirely a matter of the refs not calling anything. But it would be nice to fix it and force the other team to make trips to the box.

Comment

Lastly, the Gophers just aren't drawing any penalties. Some of that is the officiating;... Maybe it is entirely a matter of the refs not calling anything.
                          In conference-only games so far, teams are averaging 28.4 power-play opportunities; Minnesota has had 27. Times on the PK is also - obviously - a 28.4 times average; Minnesota has 26 PKs. The median on PPs is 28, the median for PKs is 26.

(Per the stats at the WCHA web page. And yes, some teams have played only 10 games while others have played 12. I didn't bother to go to "per game" on any of that.)

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Gophers pull it out but faded badly in the 3rd, getting outshot 2-19, but only give up one. All in all a good weekend (results wise) for the visitors.
                            The Gophers were doing fine through the first half of the third. Nothing was happening, the minutes were ticking down, and UMD wasn't getting any good scoring chances. Then Hanrahan got busy, and between penalties and Rooney being pulled for an EA, UM was down a skater 70% of the time the rest of the way. The same kids play the minutes, UMD gets all of the momentum, and it looks like the Gophers are doing worse than they really are.

The final goal? Our fifth-year senior fell asleep defensively. Her job is to protect the weak side, and she can't get caught puck watching and let that D get so far below her before she even notices the threat. She has been playing great this month, but even the best players make mistakes.

We have been rather lousy about finishing into an empty net of late, and maybe she was thinking about that. But up two that late, who cares about the empty net. Zum got too worried about the empty net as well just before the UMD timeout and got stripped from behind. Get the puck to the red line and get it deep. If you get a chance to shoot, fine, but it is more important to get the puck 200 feet from your goal whenever you have the chance. It's hard for UMD to score while it has to execute a cautious breakout.

In conference-only games so far, teams are averaging 28.4 power-play opportunities; Minnesota has had 27. Times on the PK is also - obviously - a 28.4 times average; Minnesota has 26 PKs. The median on PPs is 28, the median for PKs is 26.
                            Minnesota possesses the puck much more than the average team in the WCHA, so it is odd than their opponents would be called for fewer than average infractions.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

(Per the stats at the WCHA web page. And yes, some teams have played only 10 games while others have played 12. I didn't bother to go to "per game" on any of that.)
                              Aside from what ARM said, the Gophers' distribution is really skewed. In twelve WCHA games, their opponents have been called for 29 penalties (not including the misconduct on Paige Beebe). Eighteen of those 29 came in two series: nine each against MSU-Mankato and Bemidji State. And BSU worked really hard to accumulate those calls. Add in five penalties to St. Cloud State, and opponents in the top half of the league have been called for two minutes of infractions per game when they play Minnesota.

Contrast that to Wisconsin, who have had three more power plays in two fewer games (and not adjusting for differing numbers of games played here is gross malpractice). And they've been much more usefully distributed, with twelve penalties called against top four opponents in only four games. And the Badgers have had only one game without a power play, as opposed to the 11 period 0-fer Minnesota went on against OSU and Wisconsin.

Again, I'm not sure why Gopher opponents have been called for so few infractions. Some of it is definitely the officiating. Yesterday was egregious, but not as much as the Wisconsin series. Some of it may be the play, though I'm not sue what it is.

Comment

(and not adjusting for differing numbers of games played here is gross malpractice). .
                                Not really; just general laziness or disinterest. "Gross malpractice" might have included not mentioning it at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X