Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Minnesota's defense was fine on Saturday. They gave up three goals, but two of those came with less than seven minutes to play and a four goal lead, the second after a dubious penalty.

The first period on Saturday was sloppy. They looked like they'd never seen a neutral zone trap before. That was in part due to a month layoff and in part, according to Joel Johnston, because, as a team, they'd never seen a neutral zone trap before. Once they had an intermission to regroup and get some coaching, they dismantled it.

The third line had two goals on Saturday, and a lot of very close chances on Sunday even though they didn't get it to go in. If that line continues to score regularly, this is a very scary team.
    I'm going to suggest you continue to not show up for games, your synapses of the game is more accurate when you are not there.
    BTW, how was the Anti-Trump protest on Saturday, did anybody spray you with urine or nail you with an egg?

Pretty tuff for Boreen and Oden to score on Sunday when they had a grand total of one shot between them. Skaja had 5 but I'm not sure how many, if any, where with her usual linemates since they seemed to rotate three centers with the four lines. They had control of the puck often enough, but seemed to be looking to recreate their pretty goals on Saturday instead of just firing the puck at the net when they had a chance and seeing what happens.
    For example ...
    Perhaps Hengler saw that the far post was open and flipped the puck towards it, but whether it was a pass or a shot, it looked like something you'd see in between periods from the Lil Chippers, that Keller got a piece of and deflected in, proving that getting the puck on goal is never a bad choice, and further, there are no ugly goals, they are all pretty, they all count the same, and this one was the game winner.
    Shoot Abigail (Emily), shoot!
    Last edited by pokechecker; 01-07-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      your synapses of the game is more accurate when you are not there.
      So his brain is wired differently when he is in attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
        So his brain is wired differently when he is in attendance?
        It would explain some things...Although he was able to recognize a variation of the neutral zone trap that Yale tried unless someone sitting by him told him that's what they were doing.
        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-07-2020, 08:57 AM.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
          We occasionally checked our phone for an update on the score.
          When presented with an analogous situation (Packers, Badgers, or Badger football vs hockey, etc). I take a radio and listen while I watch hockey. And I'm pretty sure Viking games are broadcast on radio.

Am I that old that 'radio' doesn't occur to others? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
            So did the Gophers play this past weekend?
            I was waiting until MBTC's post count in this thread became > 1 before I would allow myself to post in it again.

The two game attendance total seems likely to be a record for a series which did not include Wisconsin or possibly North Dakota. My memory of the long gone old days when UMD was a championship contender (not to say that they never will be again) does not include any crowds of that size for the Dogs.

Maybe ARM knows.
            ARM has forgotten more than he ever knew to begin with, but I can remember a couple series with UMD where the attendance exceeded this past weekend. One was in 2004 where the PPC held a silent auction on Saturday so the game was in Mariucci and Sunday was in Ridder. The other was in 2013 when "The Streak" had started to generate a buzz and non-traditional fans were starting to realize that GWH was a thing. Both series exceeded 5,000. The record for regular season nonconference is likely the inaugural game versus Augsburg (not a series, but greater than this weekend). For any nonconference, the 2013 FF had 6,800, but I get that it isn't what you meant by a nonconference series.

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            And I'm pretty sure Viking games are broadcast on radio.

I don't remember ever owning a radio that wasn't several times the size of my phone. And if you'd spent your life as a Vikings fan, you'd know that they don't justify one carrying a boom box on your shoulder like Radio Raheem in "Do the Right Thing." Occasionally sticking my head into the club room to check the score is sufficient to monitor the Purple.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I don't remember ever owning a radio that wasn't several times the size of my phone.
              My brother was a DJ for a number of years at various 'top 40' and 'oldies' stations in WI, and *loved* radios. I have owned - as presents from him - a combination wristwatch-radio (still have, still works), a combination radio-sixpack cooler, headphones with the radio fully built-in, etc etc. For a couple years, at hockey games, I used a Sony "Walkman" portable CD player with built-in radio, 5 inch by 6 inch by 1 inch - fit into a coat pocket or hoodie sweatshirt front pocket. A couple years ago, I bought and currently use the one seen at the link below. Fits easily into a 'dress shirt' pocket (or sweatshirt, etc etc),

The farther into LaBahn you get, the more interference there is. But out in the lobby, reception is good, and is OK inside for the first section or two near the lobby.

https://www.amazon.com/Personal-BQYP.../dp/B07Q22ZT22

Comment

When presented with an analogous situation (Packers, Badgers, or Badger football vs hockey, etc). I take a radio and listen while I watch hockey. And I'm pretty sure Viking games are broadcast on radio.

I have a cartoon bubble of Robert sitting at LaBahn with his Walkman on his belt and the headphones over a cheesehead. But he’s not listening to the Packers or even one of the Badger teams, he’s listening to a compilation cassette of The Steve Miller Band: Joker/Fly Like An Eagle/Book Of Dreams.

Fun facts: Miller’s godfather is none other than Les Paul, and Miller was a student at UW-M where he formed a band that eventually included Boz Scaggs and Ben Sidren.

I have owned..., a combination radio-sixpack cooler, ..
                I guess I should have waited a minute before posting. Why am I not surprised a guy from WI would own one of those?

I believe there was a deluxe model that included a tray for cheese.
                Last edited by pokechecker; 01-07-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I was waiting until MBTC's post count in this thread became > 1 before I would allow myself to post in it again.
                  Ouch! That stings a little.

But a fair statement. I consider myself chastened.

ARM has forgotten more than he ever knew to begin with, but I can remember a couple series with UMD where the attendance exceeded this past weekend. One was in 2004 where the PPC held a silent auction on Saturday so the game was in Mariucci and Sunday was in Ridder. The other was in 2013 when "The Streak" had started to generate a buzz and non-traditional fans were starting to realize that GWH was a thing. Both series exceeded 5,000. The record for regular season nonconference is likely the inaugural game versus Augsburg (not a series, but greater than this weekend). For any nonconference, the 2013 FF had 6,800, but I get that it isn't what you meant by a nonconference series.
                  I looked up the 2013 UMD series (USCHO archives include box scores). That's the 41-0 season. Friday, February 1, 2013: Minnesota 5, UMD 0, attendance 2,538. Kortum scored short handed to open the scoring. Kessel had two. Räty with a 24 save shutout.

Saturday, February 2, 2013: Minnesota 6, UMD 2, attendance 3,017 (weekend total 5,555). Dogs scored first and led after one. Brandt and McMillen in the second for the Gophers. Dogs get a shorthanded goal in the 3rd to tie before Gophers get three in a span of under two minutes from Kessel, Bona and Lorence. Scoring completed in the final minute with a rare score sheet appearance from Jordyn Burns.

I suspected that ARM would know.
                  Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 01-07-2020, 12:25 PM.
                  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    I have a cartoon bubble of Robert sitting at LaBahn with his Walkman on his belt and the headphones over a cheesehead. But he’s not listening to the Packers or even one of the Badger teams, he’s listening to a compilation cassette of The Steve Miller Band: Joker/Fly Like An Eagle/Book Of Dreams.

Fun facts: Miller’s godfather is none other than Les Paul, and Miller was a student at UW-M where he formed a band that eventually included Boz Scaggs and Ben Sidren.
                    I'd have to dig around in drawers here to figure out if I still have my Walkman (and if it still works; then I'd have to dig around to find a cassette!)

"UW-M" in Wisconsin would be the usual abbreviation for UW-Milwaukee; plain UW is Madison, UWM is Milwaukee (UWGB is Green Bay, UWO is Oshkosh, etc).

Steve Miller was the 'guest conductor' of the UW band at a football game during the 2018 (I think) season (there's video on YouTube), and Boz Scaggs and Ben Sidran played a concert at the Memorial Union (along with Madison native Tracy Nelson) in the summer of 2018 during a sort of campus-wide UW "reunion weekend". This past season a woman named Allee Willis was a guest conductor; she is/was a co-writer of songs like Earth Wind and Fire "September", "Boogie Wonderland", Pointer Sisters "Neutron Dance", and the theme song for the TV show "Friends". Willis just passed away from a heart attack in December.

I pretty much never wear a belt; I'm not sure I even own one.
                    Last edited by robertearle; 01-07-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I consider myself chastened.
                      Not chastened, just missed. With only 17 of us on a good day, it is noticed when anyone goes AWOL.

As for a belt, I've found that they are very useful for loosening the cheap oil filters that garages overtighten. Also, they give me something to remove in an airport to demonstrate to the TSA just how compliant I am with their instructions.
                      Last edited by ARM; 01-07-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Happened to see this when watching the 10:00PM sports last night on Channel 5.. Gopher recruit Maggie Nicholson really shows the strength of her skating stride, especially when the video is shown in slow motion. She also shows her maturity beyond her years in the interview following the replays.

https://kstp.com/sports/minnetonka-g...603391/?cat=81
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Happened to see this when watching the 10:00PM sports last night on Channel 5.. Gopher recruit Maggie Nicholson really shows the strength of her skating stride, especially when the video is shown in slow motion. She also shows her maturity beyond her years in the interview following the replays.

https://kstp.com/sports/minnetonka-g...603391/?cat=81
                          She has similar skills to Lee Stecklein coming out of high school. Lots if U18 international experience and will be a great addition next year along with Josey Dunne in adding to the 5'10'' or taller blueline core that already has Madeline Wethington.

Comment

I wonder why we have all of these 6:07 starts in the WCHA tonight? Maybe tOSU has something else going on, but I can't imagine what would be happening in St. Cloud or Bemidji that makes an earlier start work better. I could have gone SCSU if I'd had the extra hour.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              She has similar skills to Lee Stecklein coming out of high school. Lots if U18 international experience and will be a great addition next year along with Josey Dunne in adding to the 5'10'' or taller blueline core that already has Madeline Wethington.
                              I wonder what happens on the blue line next year. Do they play all seven? If it was a season like this one where we could perhaps use an extra forward, maybe one sees time up front. But next year, they're already adding five forwards, and we only graduate two from the top nine and four overall. Maybe they dress the extra D and one splits time at D and F. I guess it is a nice problem to have.

Comment

Taylor Heise doing her best Zoom Boom impression!

Comment

Working...
                                X