• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fiveholefrenzy View Post
    this has got to be a russian bot...
    lmao!

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I have an announcement to make......I have decided to root for your team to beat OSU. The up and comers must be put down. UW blew it last week (so did UM LOL), I'm trusting UM won't blow it again.
      More fake news.
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Like Saturday's 2nd period, a 2-2 draw? After that the Gophers win in overtime, just to balance things out some more? That would be fun.
        One thing I forgot to figure into my "close OSU win" prediction is how well they do or don't bounce back from winning the WCHA Tourney. They naturally celebrated pretty hard and I'm sure have been on cloud nine. We've all seen teams get too excited about one win only to come back and lose the bigger prize. Having said that, I'm sure Muzz better than anyone can sap the happiness out of her team's win in order to prep them for the next game.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
          One thing I forgot to figure into my "close OSU win" prediction is how well they do or don't bounce back from winning the WCHA Tourney. They naturally celebrated pretty hard and I'm sure have been on cloud nine. We've all seen teams get too excited about one win only to come back and lose the bigger prize.
          Some recent examples:
          2018, UM beats OSU and UW to win WCHAs and gets dominated by UW a week later;
          2017, UMD beats UM in 2OT and loses 1-0 a week later on home ice.

Of course, there are plenty of the other examples, like 2019, UW beats UM in the WCHA final, and then does the same thing in the NCAA final two weeks later.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I have an announcement to make......I have decided to root for your team to beat OSU. The up and comers must be put down. UW blew it last week (so did UM LOL), I'm trusting UM won't blow it again.
            What are you going to do if the "up and comers" are here to stay as a top performing program, new Marshall in town and all that?
            Could be a bumpy road from here on out for the "storied" programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              What are you going to do if the "up and comers" are here to stay as a top performing program, new Marshall in town and all that?
              And maybe that's how it should be...It really is better for the league, and women's college hockey in general, to have more level competition. I really liked how well Bemidji was playing at the end of the year and certainly, there were signs of life from Mankato and even SCSU this year.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                And maybe that's how it should be...It really is better for the league, and women's college hockey in general, to have more level competition. I really liked how well Bemidji was playing at the end of the year and certainly, there were signs of life from Mankato and even SCSU this year.
                I definitely agree it makes the games more fun to watch and I know the players prefer to play good teams as well. I just hate that the bottom half of the WCHA can get crushed in the Pairwise so quickly. With the multiple, tough intraconference games, you just can't slip up at all in your non-conference outings. And you better schedule some quality non-conference opponents as well, making it even tougher. This has been Bemidji's downfall the last couple of years at least. They just haven't closed the deal in their non-conference games and they get behind the Pairwise curve early.

Comment

I don't think that will be the case, and it's not because I don't think that OSU is here to stay. Ever since Johnson took over Wisconsin, there have always been at least three teams that were contenders in the conference. UMD has been a factor more years than not, and UND was in the picture from the Lam's arrival until the Hawks flew away. There were years that Ohio State made waves, even before Muzz. But unless UW or UM mess something up or slash funding, they aren't going away. Both programs have too many resources, and the successful programs in this sport have, to a large extent, been those that invest in their programs. OSU will hang banners, but the Buckeyes won't have a monopoly on it.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    OSU will hang banners, but the Buckeyes won't have a monopoly on it.
                    I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that OSU will be the dominate program in the WCHA, just that we've reached a level of reasonable parity in the conference and that it will be sustainable.
                    We need to have stronger seasons and not lose to teams we shouldn't lose to, but I believe the traditionally strong programs of the conference will find getting past us will become harder.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      The B1G Men's hockey conference this season was closer than the rankings showed. There was a great deal of parity and no program establish themselves as the dominate one this season.
                      I think OSU's women's program has made great strides to be able to compete with the likes of Minnesota and Wisconsin, not dominating them on the ice by any means but be capable of getting some key wins.
                      With a Frozen 4 and a conference title under our belts and another NCAA tournament Coach Muzzy has a good foundation to continue building on.
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-10-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        The B1G Men's hockey conference this season was closer than the rankings showed. There was a great deal of parity and no program establish themselves as the dominate one this season.
                        I think OSU's women's program has made great strides to be able to compete with the likes of Minnesota and Wisconsin, not dominating them on the ice by any means but be capable of getting some key wins.
                        With a Frozen 4 and a conference title under our belts and another NCAA tournament Coach Muzzy has a good foundation to continue building on.
                        Well, you arguably have the strongest returning squad in the conference next season so I expect next year OSU will be at least as successful as they’ve been this year. No incoming freshman are going to replace the likes of Roque, Rooney and Potomak and goaltending will very likely be down at MN and WI as well.

Comment

Well, you arguably have the strongest returning squad in the conference next season so I expect next year OSU will be at least as successful as they’ve been this year. No incoming freshman are going to replace the likes of Roque, Rooney and Potomak and goaltending will very likely be down at MN and WI as well.
                          The big question for us is who will step up next season and be what Dunne has been for us this season?
                          I hope OSU will show the customary appreciation to Coach Nadine with the proper raise and bonus for this seasons milestones. Keeping a good coach for an extended length of time here has been problematic for the stability of the program and she's a keeper!
                          Minnesota did an excellent job in developing her and her expertise!
                          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-10-2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that OSU will be the dominate program in the WCHA, just that we've reached a level of reasonable parity in the conference and that it will be sustainable.
                            We need to have stronger seasons and not lose to teams we shouldn't lose to, but I believe the traditionally strong programs of the conference will find getting past us will become harder.
                            Correct. So when can we stop with the underdog rhetoric?
                            It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                              Correct. So when can we stop with the underdog rhetoric?
                              You might have to be a little patient with us on that one. Kind of like quitting smoking after so many years, it's hard to just go cold turkey!
                              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-11-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

. No incoming freshman are going to replace the likes of Roque, .
                                Makenna Webster. Casey O'Brien.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X