X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Hockey Day Minnesota 2020 off to a frigid start

https://www.kare11.com/article/sport...7-5907fe379ec7

Also saw in the paper where they've developed a "Plan B" which would move the games to the two indoor rinks at the adjacent Parade Ice Garden "should the outdoor ice be deemed unplayable because of snow or cold".
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

With no women's hockey team of their own, the paper in Grand Forks feels compelled to cover the Gophers.

On Hockey Day Minnesota, and all other days, you can find the Wethington family at the rink
      https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...ly-at-the-rink

Comment

With a metro population of 100,000, half of whom live in MN, they can’t depend on ND only news and subscribers. If you drive north or west, you won’t find a city of more than a thousand until you hit the Missouri River or Winnipeg. And look how far into MN they reach, they managed to snag you!

As far as the game goes, if I were to go, I wouldn’t be sitting on the east side with the wind in my face, at least the benches will have the wind at their back.
        Wouldn’t this be a better hockey day if they played indoors, there are so many great arenas that would be fun to go to that most people never get to. Note that the sissy millionaires play indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          If you drive north or west, you won’t find a city of more than a thousand until you hit the Missouri River or Winnipeg.
          Even as we speak, the good people of Devil's Lake are rising in shock and anger at the scurrilous charges being thrown at their fair city.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Judging by telecasts of some previous outdoor games in the snow, it won't be that easy to see what is going on by watching TV. Was it the year HDM was in Hermantown that it snowed a lot?
            Couldn't be worse than watching Flow or Big 10 at the Ohio State rink. Either you get big snowflakes or black netting with a camera that trails the play most of the game

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Hockey Day Minnesota 2020 off to a frigid start

https://www.kare11.com/article/sport...7-5907fe379ec7

Also saw in the paper where they've developed a "Plan B" which would move the games to the two indoor rinks at the adjacent Parade Ice Garden "should the outdoor ice be deemed unplayable because of snow or cold".
              I was in Bemdji for last year's women's outdoor game and I believe it was around -20 when they dropped the puck. The saving grace was no wind and sun but, still, my cocktail turned to slush during our pre-game tailgate. Play on!

Also interesting with that game was how Harrington seemed to play to win whereas Scanlan approached it more as an exhibition game. He played everyone - including all three goalies - while Harrington went heavy with three lines and only one goalie. I know the Bemidji players loved getting the outdoor ice and TV time so, with it not impacting conference points, I think it worked out well for BSU even though they lost the game. Almost too bad the Gopher/Buckeye tilt counts and that those two teams have to care about what it does to their Pairwise rankings. Be nice if the girls could relax and have more fun with it given the unique playing environment.

Comment

I just saw the forecast while working on my weekend previews and picks and couldn't help but think that no matter what weather we get here, it won't be that bad. I remember how bundled up everyone was last year for that cold puck drop. They may be more willing to pull the trigger on moving the game indoors with the option being right there, but with the TV production they invest in for the day, I'm guessing they'll stay outside where all their technology is in place if they can.
                It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                  Even as we speak, the good people of Devil's Lake are rising in shock and anger at the scurrilous charges being thrown at their fair city.
                  actually the people of Devils Lake are happy somebody knows their town exists
                  it's the people in Grafton who are miffed

it was 13 degrees warmer today at home when I left for work and 17 degrees warmed at work, looks like balmy weather is moving in

Comment

No. 1 Gophers women's hockey to battle No. 5 Ohio State — and chilly conditions

http://www.startribune.com/no-1-goph...ons/567061722/

Comment

Wethington has made a season worth of errors in this first period...
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I not going to even mention how bad of a rebound Scobee gave up but the defenders leaving the Ohio State player all alone...Sheesh.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          Wethington has made a season worth of errors in this first period...
                          This hardly makes her stand out from the other defensemen tonight. And the Buckeye defensemen have made plenty of errors of their own, but have managed to escape paying for them.
                          Last edited by Still Eeyore; 01-17-2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I ask you? Is this the Number 1 team? No way.

Another lethargic play and it 3-1 Ohio State. Minnesota only has 11 shots halfway through the game.
                            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-17-2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

It doesn't help that the refs have ignored a ton of OSU penalties while sending the Gophers to the box over and over. The kneeing penalty that A. Potomak was subjected to just before being called for holding was ****ing brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                It doesn't help that the refs have ignored a ton of OSU penalties while sending the Gophers to the box over and over. The kneeing penalty that A. Potomak was subjected to just before being called for holding was ****ing brutal.
                                Can't argue that but it is still a butt kicking by Ohio State.

Comment

Working...
                                X