Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Gophers had gone ahead 3-2 in the third period and fitting for their effort today, they give up the extra attacker goal with some poor defensive coverage. There is some good news...They can't lose in a shoot-out.

And a little luck in avoiding getting scored on with a short-handed 2 on 1 break by BobMo...

And the Gophers escape with a 4-3 win with a PP goal by Taylor Wente...
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 10-11-2019, 04:24 PM.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Gophers had gone ahead 3-2 in the third period and fitting for their effort today, they give up the extra attacker goal with some poor defensive coverage. There is some good news...They can't lose in a shoot-out.

And a little luck in avoiding getting scored on with a short-handed 2 on 1 break by BobMo...

And the Gophers escape with a 4-3 win with a PP goal by Taylor Wente...
      I don't ever remember a goal having more confusion as to who scored it than the Taylor Wente game winning goal in overtime yesterday. The St Paul Pioneer Press had the box score showing A Potomak with the overtime goal and T Wente with the 1st assist and then in the article about the game they correctly wrote that Taylor Wente scored the goal. Dan Hammon mentioned the confusion in his broadcast of today's game and stated that he initially gave the correct call.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-12-2019, 02:15 PM. Reason: Congratulations on the six Gopher goals today whoever scored them.
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
        I don't ever remember a goal having more confusion as to who scored it than the Taylor Wente game winning goal in overtime yesterday. The St Paul Pioneer Press had the box score showing A Potomak with the overtime goal and T Wente with the 1st assist and then in the article about the game they correctly wrote that Taylor Wente scored the goal. Dan Hammon mentioned the confusion in his broadcast of today's game and stated that he initially gave the correct call.
        WCHA website originally had Oden getting the goal in the headline for the game, but that has been fixed, although in the box score it was correct

Comment

Gopher fans, just wanted to stop by and let anyone who is coming to Columbus for the games in a couple weekends know that there is a home football game on Saturday 10/26, so we will all have to pay the $20 for football parking. Just don't want you to have sticker shock, and yes, us OSU fans hate that, too! The football game has been announced as a noon start and the women's hockey game will start at 3:07 pm EST. The lot north of the ice arena where we all usually park is handicapped parking on football game days. Why they couldn't make the OSU vs Wisconsin football game a night game is beyond me, but I am guessing OSU didn't have any say in it. Just wanted to let everyone know. Safe travels and see you in a couple weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Why they couldn't make the OSU vs Wisconsin football game a night game is beyond me, but I am guessing OSU didn't have any say in it.
            I know there are 'rules' about night games in the Big Ten, though they may be more informal than formal. Teams (read 'coaches', particularly Urban Meyer) generally don't like playing them, so the league limits how many they are forced to play in a given season. No, or very few in November, and no more than three for a given team. Without looking, I'll guess that OSU has had - or will have had - their three prior to the Wisconsin game?

Comment

LOVE this young lady's attitude.

Five Minutes with Alex Woken
              https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...lex-woken.aspx
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

A trip down memory lane...

Twenty years ago, a powerhouse emerged for Gophers women's hockey
                http://www.startribune.com/twenty-ye...key/563341272/

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  A trip down memory lane...
                  Those were the good old days, when Wisconsin was the team losing 14-1. Wouldn't Tim have enjoyed that?
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I lost track of the number of penalties that were uncalled against Taylor Heise. The refs must really not like her to allow that cross check to go uncalled after her empty net goal.

Comment

I've thought there were at least a couple of games earlier this year and now this one where there were several blatant penalties that were not called. I can't even blame Ludwig today because he wasn't on the ice. At least today no one was injured that I'm aware of because of a cheap shot.
                      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-20-2019, 05:41 PM. Reason: Does John Bailey have any relatives playing for St Cloud?
                      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Nothing much new to report. This weekend, the Gophers looked a lot like they have the previous times I've watched them. The Zumwinkle/Woken/Heise line continues to dominate; Woken was the best player on the ice on Saturday. The defense continues to impress; Emily Brown was the best player on Sunday. The Potomak/Potomak/Wente line continues to dazzle with their playmaking while still being chronically short on actual production. They at least generated better chances on Sunday, and if Amy Potomak ever harnesses her powers to actually fight evil . . .

One thing that's striking is how different the Gophers' breakout and transition play is from last year. For a long time, they were often dependent upon a defenseman just skating the puck out of their own end, often carrying it all the way down the ice. What began as deliberate strategy with Bozek/Ramsey/Stecklein/McMillan felt like it had become a legacy default option for a breakout that often didn't have another plan. Those rushes have all but disappeared, replaced by crisp, quick passes to an open forward. They look really good at finding the player with the best forward momentum coming through the neutral zone. It's been a lot of fun to watch, and I'm curious to see how it's going to play against Wisconsin.

This is the best St Cloud team in years, if not since I started watching in 2010. They aren't prone to panic, they keep a defensive shape, and they're more skilled. If they develop a real plan for how to score, they could be dangerous. Their current offensive zone philosophy of, "Just bang around and see what happens," is scary often enough to let them win some games with the other things they do right. Alder kept them in Sunday's game with some brilliant saves before letting in Brown's second, but rest of the team was good enough that great goaltending let them be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          Those were the good old days, when Wisconsin was the team losing 14-1. Wouldn't Tim have enjoyed that?
                          How did they only kick an extra point? Must have been some strange rules back then.

Your new breakout system of passing the puck to your own players alarms me. I miss the good old days.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                            Nothing much new to report. This weekend, the Gophers looked a lot like they have the previous times I've watched them. The Zumwinkle/Woken/Heise line continues to dominate; Woken was the best player on the ice on Saturday. The defense continues to impress; Emily Brown was the best player on Sunday. The Potomak/Potomak/Wente line continues to dazzle with their playmaking while still being chronically short on actual production. They at least generated better chances on Sunday, and if Amy Potomak ever harnesses her powers to actually fight evil . . .

One thing that's striking is how different the Gophers' breakout and transition play is from last year. For a long time, they were often dependent upon a defenseman just skating the puck out of their own end, often carrying it all the way down the ice. What began as deliberate strategy with Bozek/Ramsey/Stecklein/McMillan felt like it had become a legacy default option for a breakout that often didn't have another plan. Those rushes have all but disappeared, replaced by crisp, quick passes to an open forward. They look really good at finding the player with the best forward momentum coming through the neutral zone. It's been a lot of fun to watch, and I'm curious to see how it's going to play against Wisconsin.

This is the best St Cloud team in years, if not since I started watching in 2010. They aren't prone to panic, they keep a defensive shape, and they're more skilled. If they develop a real plan for how to score, they could be dangerous. Their current offensive zone philosophy of, "Just bang around and see what happens," is scary often enough to let them win some games with the other things they do right. Alder kept them in Sunday's game with some brilliant saves before letting in Brown's second, but rest of the team was good enough that great goaltending let them be competitive.
                            I'm a little surprised you didn't mention their continued proclivity to mess up odd man rushes.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              How did they only kick an extra point? Must have been some strange rules back then.
                              A rouge.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                I'm a little surprised you didn't mention their continued proclivity to mess up odd man rushes.
                                Clearly this is something they need to work on. They look great in generating those rushes, but it seems their "proclivity to mess up" rises the closer they get to the net.

Comment

Working...
                                X