Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

I'd say this is the weakest Badger defense in at least the last 5 years, which really means about the last ten
    sure, they might improve, but they might not, you have to remember, everyone else is trying to get better too
    it's also numbers, as the level of play is raised each year, the ability to get by with 5 D shrinks each year
    I'd say we are at the point where it's going to be tough to win a WCHA championship with 5, and they are going to have to be both healthy and the top of their game to win the other two

and no doubt the departure of Pankowski and Clark exposes weaknesses in the D
    seventh year seniors are going to have that affect

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      I'd say this is the weakest Badger defense in at least the last 5 years, which really means about the last ten
      sure, they might improve, but they might not, you have to remember, everyone else is trying to get better too
      it's also numbers, as the level of play is raised each year, the ability to get by with 5 D shrinks each year
      I'd say we are at the point where it's going to be tough to win a WCHA championship with 5, and they are going to have to be both healthy and the top of their game to win the other two

and no doubt the departure of Pankowski and Clark exposes weaknesses in the D
      seventh year seniors are going to have that affect
      With both teams when the forwards understand the concept of D Zone responsibility, then suddenly the D looks much better...

Comment

I'm sure all of you really enjoyed giving us BADger fans an honest critique of UW's play on this thread and the UW one. You sure know how to bring a guy down. I'll go now pout in the UW thread now.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

We don't get many opportunities of late. The last time UM won a series from UW was when Brandt, et al were seniors.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            No, the other team gets to add skaters, so it would become a 4-on-3 and then a 5-on-3. As penalties expire, they go back to the 3 on 3 format at the next whistle.

I was watching a (non-overtime) game with overlapping penalties tonight, with 4-on-3, 4-on-4 etc segments, and it got me thinking about the mechanics of a penalty in a 3-on-3 OT.

When the penalty expires, do you mean that the player in the box has to stay there until the next whistle? Or do you mean she can come out, and they play 4-on-4 until the next whistle? If not 4-on-4, how long does the power play team have to get the 4th skater off the ice before it turns into "too many players"?

Thanks.

Comment

Oh goodie...Minnesota gets to play a team in green with lots of Minnesota natives motivated to stick it too them. What could go wrong?
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                When the penalty expires, do you mean that the player in the box has to stay there until the next whistle? Or do you mean she can come out, and they play 4-on-4 until the next whistle?
                It is OT and both teams are skating 3 on 3. One is assessed a 2-minute minor. The penalized player is sent to the box and she will come out after 2 minutes of play, per normal. Her team remains at 3 skaters while she is serving the infraction. The other team adds a skater, resulting in a 4-on-3 power play. If nobody scores and there aren't any additional penalties over the course of those 2 minutes, when the penalized player returns, the teams play 4 on 4 until the next stoppage. I'm assuming that if the team with the advantage committed a penalty while on that PP, then they would immediately return to 3-on-3 play with each having one player in the penalty box, returning at different times.

The objective is to always play 3-on-3 when the teams are equal (although a stoppage is needed to get back to it after 4 on 4), and never drop below 3 skaters for either team.

Comment

This figures to be a very key class and will go a long way to influencing the Gophers' results in the next few years:
                  https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...x?path=whockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    This figures to be a very key class and will go a long way to influencing the Gophers' results in the next few years:
                    https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...x?path=whockey
                    If there is a class that could make me go all bc on the bit, this is the one. Headlined by the Human Highlight Film (Murphy), this class has two tall, highly skilled defensemen and a very deep forward group that has a little bit of everything from size, speed, goal-scoring, and playmaking to being responsible at both ends of the rink.

Comment

One thing I really like about this team is that, even when things aren't clicking, they do a good job of limiting chances. In both the second period of the Sunday game against Wisconsin and the second period today, they went long stretches without being able to get the puck out of their zone. They made some silly passes against a team that was working hard (albeit, with Bemidji today, a team that looked kind of sloppy, too), but the Gophers made it really hard to get the puck off the boards and into good scoring positions.

Comment

As so often is the case with this team, the strong depth throughout their lineup allows them to wear down their opponent and gradually take control of their games, especially in the last half of the 3rd period. This weekend against Bemidji State was a good example, with the Gophers holding a combined (both games) shot advantage of 33-8 in the 3rd frame. While it wasn't always pretty, the Gophers clearly dominated, allowing Coach Frost the ability to give his hard-working 4th line increasing minutes to seal both victories. While all the attention goes to "the stars" of the team, and rightfully so, as their talent is so obvious, I think the Gophers' depth, which can be used to wear down their opponents, is a key, often under-looked strength that can make a real difference in the outcome of many games, as we saw in both games this weekend.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Anyone know what the health status is of Sydney Shearen is after the hit late in the game yesterday? Looked like she could have a concussion.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            Anyone know what the health status is of Sydney Shearen is after the hit late in the game yesterday? Looked like she could have a concussion.
                            I don't want to speculate but this much I do know: Paige Beebe should receive a multi-game suspension.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I don't want to speculate but this much I do know: Paige Beebe should receive a multi-game suspension.
                              As should Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                                As should Robinson.
                                For a 2 minute roughing penalty?

Comment

Working...
                                X