Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

There seems to be a lot of questions in this thread.

Here is another...I'm wondering if the Gophers are ever going to score a power play goal again?
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-10-2020, 08:12 PM.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Gophers came out S...L...O...W but finally woke up and took the game over in the second and dominated the third. Not a thing of beauty but they got the job done. Hopefully our player who got checked HARD into the boards is OK; I couldn't tell who it was.

And a big congratulations to Katie Robinson on scoring her first goal of the year!
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Gophers came out S...L...O...W but finally woke up and took the game over in the second and dominated the third. Not a thing of beauty but they got the job done. Hopefully our player who got checked HARD into the boards is OK; I couldn't tell who it was.

And a big congratulations to Katie Robinson on scoring her first goal of the year!
        I don't think it was starting slow. They just struggled with the bigger ice surface a lot more than I'm used to seeing. They especially had trouble keeping the puck in the offensive zone, but also taking angles to cut off SCSU attackers. They settled in as the game went on. Once they tied it at 1, they took over.

Comment

Yeah...coming out slow is evidenced by being down 1-0 halfway through the game until that laser beam of a shot by Heise. That was a momentum changer for the Gophers.

That was a great odd man rush by Minnesota that, on one of the rare occasions that they didn't screw it up, was finished off by Robinson on a nice feed from Skaja.
          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-11-2020, 05:13 PM. Reason: Spelling error
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            She has similar skills to Lee Stecklein coming out of high school. Lots if U18 international experience and will be a great addition next year along with Josey Dunne in adding to the 5'10'' or taller blueline core that already has Madeline Wethington.

"Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Looking ahead to the outdoor game! next weekend vs. Ohio State, as part of "Hockey Day Minnesota" [https://www.nhl.com/wild/community/h...day-minnesota]

it could be just a "wee bit chilly" if this long term forecast proves to be accurate:
              https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...9fa0659bf127e3

Buckeye fans are encouraged to bring a light jacket and a long sleeve shirt for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                I'm wondering if the Gophers are ever going to score a power play goal again?
                Taylor Heise provides your answer with no time to spare on the team's only PP opportunity of the day.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Don't look now, but in conference play, Sydney Scobee has, by a pretty big margin, the best GAA and save percentage in the WCHA: http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1920/confstats/wchaw

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    Don't look now, but in conference play, Sydney Scobee has, by a pretty big margin, the best GAA and save percentage in the WCHA: http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1920/confstats/wchaw
                    OK I just had to look, albeit in a different place:
                    http://www.wcha.com/women/statistics/1920/cogoalies.php

If Syd can keep it up she just might end up being the team's MVP at the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      I wonder what happens on the blue line next year. Do they play all seven? If it was a season like this one where we could perhaps use an extra forward, maybe one sees time up front. But next year, they're already adding five forwards, and we only graduate two from the top nine and four overall. Maybe they dress the extra D and one splits time at D and F. I guess it is a nice problem to have.
                      gOOgled the players and found this:
                      https://***********/chrisdilks/status/1082480223558475777

Comment

Nice feature on Sydney Scobee that aired on KARE11 10:00pm news this evening:

https://www.kare11.com/article/sport...9-20682ae81d5a

Comment

Once again the media cannot refrain from fake news even for college hockey. Last year it was attributing something to player that she never said, because the truth apparently, isn’t newsworthy. This time …. I doubt she would have been sitting on the bench if Gulstene had not been injured, she played too good last year not to get playing time again this year. The media, they always have to have a “story”. Maybe it’s just me but I would have went with the truth and IMO, a better story, while at Vermont she beat Gophers, but I doubt they know that.

I’m feeling better about this weekend, did you catch the part where she says “I didn’t even watch the previews” (The Bachelor) That’s a relief, hopefully The OSU goalie watched every minute of it, and the debate between the Democrats too.

Thank you KARE 11, at least for that. That’s all I really wanted to know anyway.

Comment

The Gophers and Buckeyes are scheduled to play outdoors on Saturday afternoon. But after reading this latest forecast, taken from this morning's Star Tribune, I wonder if there's any possible way they could reschedule to Ridder? I would guess not, as they are probably locked into the event as part of "Hockey Day Minnesota 2020"?

"Up to a foot of snow is being forecast for the Twin Cities starting Friday and continuing into Saturday.

There is “the potential for seeing heavier snowfall amounts of 8 to 12 inches, as well as gusty winds leading to blowing/drifting snow,” according to a statement Wednesday from the National Weather Service (NWS).

The snowfall is anticipated to arrive by Friday morning in the eastern half of Minnesota and west-central Wisconsin, and last until Saturday afternoon, the NWS statement added. Wind gusts of 35 miles per hour are expected for much of Saturday, the weather service added.

Once the snow stops falling, forecasters are calling for temperatures to fall and stay unseasonably cold for a few days.

Readings should start to head down during the day Saturday and hit a low of 4-below zero Saturday night, according to the NWS."

I think I'll skip going to this one, and instead turn the fireplace on and watch the game on TV...

Comment

I think I'll skip going to this one, and instead turn the fireplace on and watch the game on TV...
                              Judging by telecasts of some previous outdoor games in the snow, it won't be that easy to see what is going on by watching TV. Was it the year HDM was in Hermantown that it snowed a lot?
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                Judging by telecasts of some previous outdoor games in the snow, it won't be that easy to see what is going on by watching TV. Was it the year HDM was in Hermantown that it snowed a lot?
                                Can't possibly be any worse than watching it in person, especially if the distance to the ice surface (and thus viewing angle) is considered. I think the larger issue will be the wind chill, which could be brutal, even dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                                X