Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Someone please tell the announcer that he should do some homework . The Mavericks are short because of injuries not disciplinary reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
      Someone please tell the announcer that he should do some homework . The Mavericks are short because of injuries not disciplinary reasons.
      Correct, Also of note several of them sustained concussions. Alarm bells should be going off for the league with the amount of concussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
        Correct, Also of note several of them sustained concussions. Alarm bells should be going off for the league with the amount of concussions.
        Which is interesting in the context of the interviews of the YHH girls player of the year finalists (see them here)

There were asked numerous questions but the one that caught my attention was "if you could change one rule in (girls) hockey what woud it be?" Every one of them except Sydney Langseth answered allow checking and one even said checking and fighting.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          There were asked numerous questions but the one that caught my attention was "if you could change one rule in (girls) hockey what woud it be?" Every one of them except Sydney Langseth answered allow checking and one even said checking and fighting.
          It's interesting when it is a goalie advocating checking. Maybe it's a case of, "knock them down before they can shoot?"
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            It's interesting when it is a goalie advocating checking. Maybe it's a case of, "knock them down before they can shoot?"
            Indeed...And she was the one that mentioned fighting as well, although in fairness, maybe that was more tongue and cheek? At least you would hope it was in jest.

Comment

It gets boring standing in net all game with little in the way of entertainment.

Comment

It gets boring standing in net all game with little in the way of entertainment.
                Andover was able to give her some entertainment...

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
                  The Alarm will only go off for the Rodents or Badgers....

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                    The Alarm will only go off for the Rodents or Badgers....
                    As they are the only ones with brains

Comment

A dominant performance by the Gophers eventual forged through some resistance from the hockey gods.

Earlier today and elsewhere on this forum TTT gave an lol at the end of a calculation of odds for St. Cloud winning the WCHA tournament and ARM responded.
                      Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      FYI in case you were wondering, based on KRACH, the odds for the WCHA tournament are:

Wisconsin 46.00%
                      Minnesota 32.27%
                      Ohio State 15.11%
                      Minnesota Duluth 6.13%
                      Bemidji State 0.42%
                      Minnesota State 0.07%
                      St. Cloud State 0.00% (lol)
                      Bye 0.00%
                      If that "lol" offends the hockey gods, I will hunt you down, no matter what state you try to hide in.
                      After the first 24 seconds of the game handed the Gophers a 1-0 lead the gods took offense.

Just 31 seconds later Scobee got caught sliding the wrong direction for the equalizer and then shortly thereafter seemed completely screened and SCSU led 2-1 after just 3:17. It took the Gophers more than 43 minutes of game time before order was restored. A power play goal by APotomak was the strike that finally restored the lead to the home team.

SCSU competed hard throughout but the Gophers were too good and the final was 4-2.

On to Saturday.
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        SCSU competed hard throughout but the Gophers were too good and the final was 4-2.
                        Except for the first goal allowed, which was a softie right after the opening whistle, St. Cloud's goaltender Emma Polusny kept her team in there for most of the game until the dam finally broke when Amy Potomak scored the game winner 6 minutes into the third. Gotta give lots of credit to the Huskies for making the Gophers work and compete, maybe harder than what they were expecting, at least initially, but they eventually rose to the occasion and finished the game with a 4-2 decision and a decisive 56-18 advantage in shots on goal.

As is often said, it's very hard to end an opponent's season, and this game reminded me of that adage. We'll see what transpires tomorrow...
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                          After the first 24 seconds of the game handed the Gophers a 1-0 lead, the gods took offense...

... On to Saturday.
                          And to ARM's Hunting Trip?

Comment

My fears about Scobee were coming true in the first few minutes last night. Panicked movement, not seeing the puck...But she pulled it together.

Minnesota's first line can be very dominating with puck possession and generating scoring chances...They can also be very good at NOT scoring given the plethora of chances they generate.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Except for the first goal allowed, which was a softie right after the opening whistle, St. Cloud's goaltender Emma Polusny kept her team in there for most of the game until the dam finally broke when Amy Potomak scored the game winner 6 minutes into the third. Gotta give lots of credit to the Huskies for making the Gophers work and compete, maybe harder than what they were expecting, at least initially, but they eventually rose to the occasion and finished the game with a 4-2 decision and a decisive 56-18 advantage in shots on goal.
                              I would give Polusny a pass on that first goal from what I saw. It looked like the puck was going to slide wide until it bounced/hit a rut and redirected just inside the post. I also think the 56 shots is a low count. How many did they have from 3 inches away in those scrums in the paint? I wasn't comfortable about the outcome until just before the final buzzer.

I heard in the stands that Wente is out for the remainder of the season. We need to get Skaja back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                                I heard in the stands that Wente is out for the remainder of the season. We need to get Skaja back soon.
                                I asked about the two of them collectively last night, and the answer was that they're not close. If 28 is indeed done for the year, then I hope that 3 is at least a less severe version of not close.

Comment

Working...
                                X