Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Watching the BTN stream 'live', I certainly noticed, and also thought I was crazy. There was a guy in a "Frieberger" OSU jersey right up at the near-to-camera glass who had also changed ends right along with the play, which added to the 'effect'. I even looked at the signage on the boards to see if it was backwards, thinking maybe the BTN picture has somehow inverted.

No idea at all why. I would have thought someone at the game in person might have a better idea. Maybe in the unfamiliar surroundings, everybody collectively 'went the wrong way' out of the break.
    I was at the game maybe 15' north of the OSU bench, and no one there seemed confused or puzzled, just kept playing like things were completely normal. The sun had set, so sun in one team's eyes wasn't an issue, besides, the rink went N-S, not E-W.

Simultaneous brain freeze?

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
      I was at the game maybe 15' north of the OSU bench, and no one there seemed confused or puzzled, just kept playing like things were completely normal. The sun had set, so sun in one team's eyes wasn't an issue, besides, the rink went N-S, not E-W.

You didn't notice any 'huddling', etc, between the refs and the coaches during that TV break? Because if they had consciously made such a switch, you'd think there would have to have been some significant discussions prior to it.

Comment

Switching ends halfway through the 3rd period was predetermined to eliminate any advantage one of the teams would have due to wind direction. They did the same thing for the high school games that preceded this one, and I've seen it before in past Hockey Day events.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

OK, someone please explain what happened in the game with 5:41 remaining in the 3rd period. I was at the game, had moved to the north, Dunwoody end of the rink because that's where the Gophers would be shooting at the OSU goal. Woken had a penalty called on her at 5:41. I've rewatched the FloHockey/FSN broadcast, and there's a break in the broadcast for a commercial time out on FSN, which doesn't show up on FloHockey. When the game resumed, the goalies had switched ends! I thought I'd gone through some kind of time warp at the rink, all of a sudden I had Scobee's net on my end.
          You piqued my curiosity, so I also rewatched the relevant minutes.

The teams definitely switched ends with 5:41 left in the 3rd Period. As for as I could tell from the broadcast, there was one main scoreboard. For the first 14:19 of the period, the Buckeyes were attacking the scoreboard end. For the last 5:41, they were defending the scoreboard end.

Can anyone explain why the goalies switched ends 3/4 of the way through the period? Never seen it happen before.
          The FSN North broadcast crew sure couldn't. It was a LONG commercial break. They even took the time to run a short feature story saluting the camera operators and the video control room personnel. But when we returned to live action, the teams had switched ends & there was no explanation whatsoever.

Watching the BTN stream 'live', I certainly noticed, and also thought I was crazy. There was a guy in a "Frieberger" OSU jersey right up at the near-to-camera glass who had also changed ends right along with the play, which added to the 'effect'. I even looked at the signage on the boards to see if it was backwards, thinking maybe the BTN picture has somehow inverted.
          It was a moment of vertigo, for sure. Being intensely interested in whether the Buckeyes could convert the Power Play, I kind of forgot about it until drewkal posted. But yes, there has to be a story here.

No idea at all why. I would have thought someone at the game in person might have a better idea. Maybe in the unfamiliar surroundings, everybody collectively 'went the wrong way' out of the break.
          I'm going to take this explanation as "tongue in cheek." No way do the goalies go to wrong net, drink out of the wrong water bottle, etc.

I do have a theory. Upfront, I need to emphasize that I wasn't at the game, nor have I spoken to anyone who was. I was just another TV viewer. But here goes:

The rules make provision for switching ends in the 3rd Period if the conditions are in any way unequal. It's not common, but I've seen that done more more than once. However, the switch is supposed to happen at the 10:00 mark. To the very best of my recollection, the horn sounds after 10 minutes and play stops. No on-ice whistle required.

So my guess is that the switch was appropriate, but came four minutes late. As to whether either team gained an advantage, we definitely need to hear from someone who was physically present at the Parade Stadium site. But it was unique and weird that during the course of a single period, the Buckeye Power Play got to attack both nets.

Comment

You didn't notice any 'huddling', etc, between the refs and the coaches during that TV break? Because if they had consciously made such a switch, you'd think there would have to have been some significant discussions prior to it.
            There was an extended Official's huddle in front of the scorer's box after the earlier Zumwinkle penalty, OSU player was listening in, no Gopher player. They must have been discussing when to switch ends, although the wind had been about the same all day. They actually did the switch after the Woken penalty with 5:42 left in the game.
            Reading the above, I think the mystery is solved, at least possibly explained better. Weird how the broadcast crew said not a word! And no PA announcement at the rink. Maybe the Buckeyes thought changing direction would throw us off somehow.
            Last edited by drewkal; 01-20-2020, 10:40 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
              This would be why I said that they did start slow. What I said that starting slow wasn't really the problem.
              The pattern of starting slow is a problem. You can get by with it infrequently, and in your analysis, you call it different things, like getting acclimated. However, in the national tournament, this game is pretty unforgiving. Nobody cares if you don't get the calls, or hit posts, or aren't used to the rink, or the other goalie thwarts your best efforts. You're given 60 minutes to outscore the opponent, and if they instead do that to you, they slap a big "L" down to mark your appearance.

We've had teams (like 2011-12) that were very good at jumping on opponents immediately and not letting them settle into games. You say it wasn't a slow start in Nashville, but when a team outshoots you 27-24 after 40 minutes and you have a 19-2 shot advantage the rest of the way, that sure wasn't a quick start.

When I watch this team, I don't get the feeling that they have the luxury of settling into a game and wasting those early minutes.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

FWIW, there was daylight during the first portion of the game. The wind doesn't always go straight West to East. Or maybe the ice was a little better in one end.

So there were potential differences. And my understanding is that the decision to switch ends has to be made up front, not during the period.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Switching ends halfway through the 3rd period was predetermined to eliminate any advantage one of the teams would have due to wind direction. They did the same thing for the high school games that preceded this one, and I've seen it before in past Hockey Day events.
                  That makes sense; but then why wait until 5:41 left in the period? There were, of course, stoppages closer to 'halfway" than that. There was a Zumwinkle 'hit from behind' penalty at 11:05 remaining which precipitated a fairly long "two minute or five minute" discussion among the refs. There were stoppages during that PP. If you didn't want to make the switch during that power play, there was a whistle after it ended at 8:15 remaining. Etc Etc.

(Adding, obviously, other comments overtook mine, while I checked video again.)

Comment

That makes sense; but then why wait until 5:41 left in the period?
                    In all likelihood, the windchill numbed everyone's brain and people forgot until someone finally said, "Hey! Weren't we going to swap ends?"
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by arm View Post
                      in all likelihood, the windchill numbed everyone's brain and people forgot until someone finally said, "hey! Weren't we going to swap ends?"
                      lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        When I watch this team, I don't get the feeling that they have the luxury of settling into a game and wasting those early minutes.
                        Certainly not against a team like Ohio State. It's a reason why they have 2 losses to them.
                        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-20-2020, 11:45 AM.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          FWIW, there was daylight during the first portion of the game. The wind doesn't always go straight West to East. Or maybe the ice was a little better in one end.

So there were potential differences. And my understanding is that the decision to switch ends has to be made up front, not during the period.
                          One thing I did hear from a volunteer, between 1st and 2nd periods, is that when they were laying down the ice early in the week, something happened and they had to completely re-do the ice at the S end of the rink. It looked the same to me, but I wasn't skating on it. Maybe it was different enough, slower, faster, whatever, that OSU asked for the change in the official's confab after the Zumwinkle penalty. No Gopher player was there listening in. Why it took place 5 minutes or so later.....?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            In all likelihood, the windchill numbed everyone's brain and people forgot until someone finally said, "Hey! Weren't we going to swap ends?"
                            I think you're onto something there, ARM!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I think you're onto something there, ARM!
                              Like I said originally, I thought maybe I'd gone into some time-warp, and it was an overtime period all of a sudden! Extreme cold can do that to you, don't cha know!

Comment

Video of the game's three goals:

https://***********/i/status/1218705797288550400

Comment

Working...
                                X