X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Correct.
    Like there was any other choice, right? Not really.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Like there was any other choice, right? Not really.
      Rowe,Edwards, Kotlowski....

Just in case you need a reminder, so there are actually 6d (usa born)

and yes, steffan and bowlby
      Last edited by mnwis; 12-15-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnwis View Post
        Rowe,Edwards, Kotlowski....Just in case you need a reminder, so there are actually 6d (usa born)
        and yes, steffan and bowlby
        I am indeed fully aware of the other US born D on UW's team. I would not surmise that UW's 5th, 6th and 7th D have a snowball's chance in a hot place of playing for team USA at this point in their careers. But amazingly their 3rd best D did make the team. Good for her. DeVito has also seen the ice for UW on the D side though she is listed as a F.

Comment

Big congrats to the SEVEN Gopher recruits selected to play in the upcoming 2020 IIHF Under-18 Women's World Championship that will take place Dec. 26-Jan 2 in Bratislava, Slovakia. Five of the seven Gopher recruits, shown with an asterisk, will join the Gophers for 2010-11 season:

USA Roster
          F Abbey Murphy (Evergreen Park, IL - Chicago Mission)*
          F Audrey Wethington (Edina, MN - Blake School)*
          F Ella Huber (Northfield, IL - Chicago Mission)*
          D Maggie Nicholson (Minnetonka, MN - Minnetonka High School)*
          F Peyton Hemp (Andover, MN - Andover High School)
          G Skylar Vetter (Lakeville, MN - Lakeville North High School)

CANADA Roster
          Anne Cherkowski (Coldstream, BC - Pursuit of Excellence)*
          Last edited by D2D; 12-23-2019, 05:04 PM.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And congratulations to Maggie Nicholson on being named captain of the USA Under-18 Women's National Team.
            https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1073376

All of the USA's games, including their first vs. Finland on Thursday, December 26th at 9:30 a.m. CT, will be streamed on IIHF.com.

Full schedule here: https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2020u18womensworlds
            Last edited by D2D; 12-23-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              All of the USA's games, including their first vs. Finland on Thursday, December 26th at 9:30 a.m. CT, will be streamed on IIHF.com.

Full schedule here: https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2020u18womensworlds
              Thanks!

Comment

Congratulations to Team USA for their Gold medal victory over Canada in OT.

Gopher recruits of note...

The Human Highlight Film (Abbey Murphy) with a first period goal.
                Maggie Nicholson with a great assist on the game winner scored by Kiara Zanon.
                Skylar Vetter, in goal, played very well.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Preview of this weekend's series vs. Yale

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...host-yale.aspx

Comment

So did the Gophers play this past weekend?
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      So did the Gophers play this past weekend?
                      They did, topping Yale on Saturday 6 - 3 and again on Sunday 4 - 1. The first period on Saturday featured uninspired hockey consistent with a long layoff in which the two teams combined for a rousing seven shots on goal. Things picked up after that. Sunday's crowd seemed to spend a lot of their time following the Vikings game on their phones. If I remember correctly, the 10 Gopher goals were scored by 8 different players, extending the home streak without a hat trick. Yale made them work, which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                        Sunday's crowd seemed to spend a lot of their time following the Vikings game on their phones.
                        Going up against the Vikings I was impressed by the fact that the game drew 2,102 fans! And there were 2,507 who attended Saturday's game - pretty good for a non-conference series against a non-rival.

Comment

They did, topping Yale on Saturday 6 - 3 and again on Sunday 4 - 1.
                          If you will forgive me I will now admit that my post was intended to be sarcasm. I have been coming here for a long time and I do not recall a single other time when a weekend series went past without any notice on this forum. I dunno, crowds are slightly larger but USCHO chatter is significantly smaller.

And actually, I was at Sunday's game.

Sunday's crowd seemed to spend a lot of their time following the Vikings game on their phones. If I remember correctly, the 10 Gopher goals were scored by 8 different players, extending the home streak without a hat trick. Yale made them work, which is a good thing.
                          And I spent the break between the first and second periods following the Vikings game on my phone.

But also, I too have noticed that it has been a really long time since I have thrown my hat onto the ice. I fondly recall Hannah Brandt scoring hat tricks in each of her first two home games as a Gopher (although if I recall correctly, one of the goals from one of the games was later credited to another player leaving her with only five goals for the two games). And I also note that Taylor Heise had three in the home exhibition game against Hamline. But it was only a friendly exhibition and no one threw any hats.

Thanks for checking in OldDave.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Going up against the Vikings I was impressed by the fact that the game drew 2,102 fans! And there were 2,507 who attended Saturday's game - pretty good for a non-conference series against a non-rival.
                            Someone should check the archives. The two game attendance total seems likely to be a record for a series which did not include Wisconsin or possibly North Dakota. My memory of the long gone old days when UMD was a championship contender (not to say that they never will be again) does not include any crowds of that size for the Dogs.

Maybe ARM knows.

Comment

We occasionally checked our phone for an update on the score. With just a few minutes to go in the game the phone showed the score was 23-20 New Orleans so we turned the phone off only to hear from someone that the game was going into overtime a few minutes later. It wasn't until I read the paper this morning that I discovered the touchdown was "reversed by a replay because Cook's knee was down."

As far as the hockey game goes, I thought the Gophers tightened things up both on defense and in the net in the second game. It was too bad Scobee didn't get a shutout.
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Minnesota's defense was fine on Saturday. They gave up three goals, but two of those came with less than seven minutes to play and a four goal lead, the second after a dubious penalty.

The first period on Saturday was sloppy. They looked like they'd never seen a neutral zone trap before. That was in part due to a month layoff and in part, according to Joel Johnston, because, as a team, they'd never seen a neutral zone trap before. Once they had an intermission to regroup and get some coaching, they dismantled it.

The third line had two goals on Saturday, and a lot of very close chances on Sunday even though they didn't get it to go in. If that line continues to score regularly, this is a very scary team.

Comment

Working...
                                X