Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Exhibition games (free admission) this weekend on Saturday and Sunday.

The season preview from the Head Coach...

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/9...20-season.aspx
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

The game against the Whitecaps should be interesting, as it always is.
    It will be fun to see the new players on both teams. And see returning Gophers in a different uniform.
    too bad the local papers don't do as good of a job:
    https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...ns-hockey-team

Comment

Sophomore class with 7 goals and 8 assists today. Offensively, I think that the Gophers will go as that class goes, as people like Heise, Oden, and APot have the potential to improve on what they produced as rookies.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Sophomore class with 7 goals and 8 assists today. Offensively, I think that the Gophers will go as that class goes, as people like Heise, Oden, and APot have the potential to improve on what they produced as rookies.
        Makayla Pahl with a nice assist on the second Aero goal.

Comment

I thought all three of these looked dynamic at times. Tomorrow's game against a much more experienced Whitecaps team should tell us a lot more.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Patty Marshall wearing the "C".

Two "A"s, one of whom was Emily Brown.

The other was Alex Woken.
            Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 09-22-2019, 02:45 PM.
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

The Whitecaps only had two practices before playing the Gophers, which is about three more than I would have guessed watching them play. The Gophers, on the other hand, looked a lot sharper than I expected on exhibition weekend. The passing was crisper then it's been late in a lot of recent seasons recently. Both the Wente/Potomak/Potomak and the Heise/Zumwinkle/Woken lines had a lot of chemistry. Skaja/Oden/Keller showed a lot of promise, and the 4th line of Robinson/Boreen/Shearen could be useful, though I suspect that they'll end up as injury replacements given that several players on the roster haven't shown an ability to stay healthy for very long.

Of the freshmen, Shearen could be a nifty depth piece to have. Wethington looks like she'll live up to the advance billing. She was a real presence offensively, and solid defensively. She got badly beaten by Allie Thunstrom once, but she's hardly the only one that's happened to.

I feel pretty good about our chances this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                I feel pretty good about our chances this year.
                Wait a minute...Eeyore feeling fairly positive about the coming year? What's next? A certain place registering freezing temperatures?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  Wait a minute...Eeyore feeling fairly positive about the coming year? What's next?
                  I think that unprecedented positivity is due to not having to deal with Goldy in his sight lines. Wait until we play a game and fail to convert a 2-on-1 or a D turns over the puck.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    Wait a minute...Eeyore feeling fairly positive about the coming year? What's next? A certain place registering freezing temperatures?
                    You missed the last sentence in the paragraph.
                    Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    ... though I suspect that they'll end up as injury replacements given that several players on the roster haven't shown an ability to stay healthy for very long.
                    you have to remember, feeling pretty good means the sky isn't falling.
                    So FHF, can I assume from your new signature you went to see Chicago in Hastings a couple weeks ago?

As for the Whitecaps, I suspect those wanting to practice more will get less pushback by those wanting to practice less after Sundays game. At least it was a good practice game for Leveille.

Comment

I think that unprecedented positivity is due to not having to deal with Goldy in his sight lines. Wait until we play a game and fail to convert a 2-on-1 or a D turns over the puck.
                      #24 could be the one to harsh his mellow pretty quickly...

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        So FHF, can I assume from your new signature you went to see Chicago in Hastings a couple weeks ago?
                        I missed out on that opportunity, unfortunately...

Comment

Marshall with the "C"...no surprise. Great character and has been Minnesota's most reliable D over the last two years.

Comment

The Gophers looked really good tonight, and the game wasn't as close as the 2-0 score would indicate. Colgate only had a couple of 2-3 minute stretches, one late in the second and one late in the third, where they really looked dangerous. They didn't seem like a top ten team, though how much of it was just Minnesota looking that good is hard to say this early in the season.

Three things stood out to me. The first was that the Gophers had a lot of good offensive transition plays. They looked a lot more purposeful breaking out of their own zone tonight than they have in recent seasons. There was a lot less shuffling of the puck back and forth behind the net, and it meant that they got things going before the opposition was set defensively. They used the boards well to advance the puck and made a lot of nice cross ice passes. Colgate seemed very passive, not forechecking aggressively and not stepping into passing lanes well, so we'll have to see if things continue to look as good, but early signs are encouraging. The nice transition play only kinda resulted in one goal (Wethington's was in transition, but it was unassisted and something of a gift), but there were a lot of chances.

On the other hand, Minnesota's forechecking was lethal. They bottled up the Colgate break out and forced a lot of offensive zone turnovers. Again, it didn't produce any goals, but it kept the puck at that end of the ice for long stretches and they had chances.

The third thing is that it was a physical game and the refs let pretty much everything go. Unlike some previous iterations, these Gophers looked like they could thrive in that environment. Zumwinkle and Amy Potomak looked especially good mixing it up, and Taylor Heise took a beating and kept going. I'm still not sure that this is the team's preferred style of play, but they look more capable at making things work when it's necessary.

Comment

Even though Amy Potomak wasn't named as one of the "3 Stars of the Game' I thought that overall she was clearly the best player on the ice, no question. Most other Gophers played very well, but she clearly stood out, not just skill-wise, but giving complete effort every time she was out there.

Solid opening game win, but yet so many opportunities to improve.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X