Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2019 ~ 2020 Season

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Your points are all valid but the school is on break this week. There's minimal risk to the student population if fans are allowed this weekend.

On the other hand, I don't really want to tempt fate personally so maybe it's for the best.

The Cornell situation stems from the Ivy League so it will be interesting if that has any effect on Yale (and Harvard @ RPI).
    The two schools and the majority of the fans (except the parents) are local. I’d be more concerned when students return next week from god only knows where. If they don’t allow fans this weekend, what happens next weekend when 4 schools from different areas of the northeast descend on lake placid, a ski resort town. Are they going to exclude fans from a game in a winter tourist location?

Wash your hands and if you feel you are putting yourself or someone else at risk, stay home. Otherwise enjoy life. There are Seniors on one side or the other that will play their final collegiate game this weekend. Will their parents be allowed to watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
      Your points are all valid but the school is on break this week. There's minimal risk to the student population if fans are allowed this weekend.

On the other hand, I don't really want to tempt fate personally so maybe it's for the best.

The Cornell situation stems from the Ivy League so it will be interesting if that has any effect on Yale (and Harvard @ RPI).
      RPI announced no fans two days ago.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        RPI announced no fans two days ago.
        Yes I know... my point was are there any Ivy hurdles that Yale and Harvard need to navigate in order to participate this weekend? For example, would/could the Ivy League prohibit them from traveling?

It's late Tuesday afternoon and still no official word. Since both teams are local, maybe that buys another day before a decision is made since most of the fans don't need to travel per se.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post

It's not about risk to the student population, it's about a risk to the general population. If someone is symptomatic and goes to the game, he can infect everyone around him. They would then infect others, and away we go. Is it really worth the risk when this thing is killing the elderly at an alarming rate?

And to the person who sniped at me about the Knicks and Rangers, that's a truly nonsensical response.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
            It's not about risk to the student population, it's about a risk to the general population. If someone is symptomatic and goes to the game, he can infect everyone around him. They would then infect others, and away we go. Is it really worth the risk when this thing is killing the elderly at an alarming rate?

And to the person who sniped at me about the Knicks and Rangers, that's a truly nonsensical response.
            Why is it nonsensical? 18,000 in an arena in the NY area almost every night. Any plans to stop that? Numerous college BB games in the area the past couple of weeks. The Big East tournament is being played at MSG with 6 or 7 times the amount of people that would be at Quinnipiac, many college students. 50,000 plus died of influenza in the U.S last year. Should we have stopped all events?

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
              Is it really worth the risk when this thing is killing the elderly at an alarming rate?
              Seth, as a 60 yr old (next week) with COPD (severe emphysema) I realize I have a corona target on my back. However, I like to think I have enough common sense to know what the risk factors are and what I can/need to do to protect myself. Staying away from a hockey game doesn't help me one bit. I'm at work every day with 50 others from all walks of life. I go to the store, get coffee, and eat food. Should I live in a closet for the next month?

It called COMMON SENSE and if everyone would use it this would not be a problem. I'm not buying into the hype that the media has been spewing for weeks. I know how to take care of myself.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                Why is it nonsensical? 18,000 in an arena in the NY area almost every night. Any plans to stop that? Numerous college BB games in the area the past couple of weeks. The Big East tournament is being played at MSG with 6 or 7 times the amount of people that would be at Quinnipiac, many college students. 50,000 plus died of influenza in the U.S last year. Should we have stopped all events?
                John, reading your comment made me think of the scenes in Jaws, when they tried explaining the way the concern of the "Shark in the pond" and the cost of losing the summer revenues...I recall thinking who would want to be that guy!?

In New Jersey/New York - the stores are different and not too dissimilar to 9-11 or Post Sandy, when people are on edge.

Most of these kids played hockey in empty arenas and hopefully will make their own excitement and we will be watching on ESPN+.

I am used to watching hockey in front of 40 parents. I would love to see basketball games, especially NBA games where you would be able to hear the trash talking!

Same thing for baseball, but you could not necessarily hear it....i dont think they have "infield chatter" at that level, do they?

Anyway, this weekend's games are what they are and win we all must, to move on for the next round and round after that and the next and next so on.....

Comment

Mr. Eagle, you know something - - points are very well taken and you should be allowed....I know that the Pulmonary Fibrosis website states that Elmira NY is in the top 5 areas in the USA for best air quality.....Hamden air is very good....go, enjoy! From the sounds of it they may not have guards, ushers....so go, walk in, set a spell.

Comment

• Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post
                    John, reading your comment made me think of the scenes in Jaws, when they tried explaining the way the concern of the "Shark in the pond" and the cost of losing the summer revenues...I recall thinking who would want to be that guy!?

In New Jersey/New York - the stores are different and not too dissimilar to 9-11 or Post Sandy, when people are on edge.

Most of these kids played hockey in empty arenas and hopefully will make their own excitement and we will be watching on ESPN+.

I am used to watching hockey in front of 40 parents. I would love to see basketball games, especially NBA games where you would be able to hear the trash talking!

Same thing for baseball, but you could not necessarily hear it....i dont think they have "infield chatter" at that level, do they?

Anyway, this weekend's games are what they are and win we all must, to move on for the next round and round after that and the next and next so on.....
                    And after your comments I think of the scene in Billy Madison where the MC says this is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. We are all now dumber for reading it. May God have mercy on your soul.

Comment

18,000 in an arena in the NY area almost every night. Any plans to stop that? Numerous college BB games in the area the past couple of weeks. The Big East tournament is being played at MSG with 6 or 7 times the amount of people that would be at Quinnipiac, many college students. 50,000 plus died of influenza in the U.S last year. Should we have stopped all events?
                      The inaction of professional sports leagues and larger college conferences may turn out to be a really bad thing, but I certainly hope not. Even still, I think the continued games in those leagues is the result of having no plan in place at all to evaluate how to handle these situations, rather than the result of these leagues having carefully analyzed the risks. That is not comforting.

Back to the larger issue, I don't envy the college presidents and board members that had to make the decision to shut down colleges and college sports tournaments, or make the "no spectators" decisions. They have to weigh the harsh consequences to local businesses and student-athletes against the alarming concerns of health experts who know the risks of contagion and dangers of disease. The potential downside now apparent in places like Italy is undoubtedly weighing on people's minds. It is a no-win situation: effective containment is seen by some as overkill, while delay in implementing the advice public health officials will be seen as negligent and cynical. But I can understand why college presidents are deferring to the advice of clinicians.

Comment

Yale, QU, UNH (New Haven) and SHU are switching to all online classes.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post
                          set a spell
                          I don't set unless forced to!
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          Northeast Regional:

Comment

And after your comments I think of the scene in Billy Madison where the MC says this is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. We are all now dumber for reading it. May God have mercy on your soul.
                            Let's see how this plays out. If it turns out, by Frozen Four that shuttering the schools, games, cities, states down was an egregious over-reaction, you are the big winner. If the numbers hockey stick out of control, lot of people both die and get sick, you do not win. Simple. Regarding your last few words, I would not be writing you if that were not the case......same back at you! Keep your nose up, tail down & hand on the throttle and we both live to fight another day.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post
                              Let's see how this plays out. If it turns out, by Frozen Four that shuttering the schools, games, cities, states down was an egregious over-reaction, you are the big winner. If the numbers hockey stick out of control, lot of people both die and get sick, you do not win. Simple. Regarding your last few words, I would not be writing you if that were not the case......same back at you! Keep your nose up, tail down & hand on the throttle and we both live to fight another day.
                              It's not an overreaction if these draconian measures end up helping to mitigate this disease. The goal here is not prevention, it's mitigation.

And Mark, I hear you with what you were saying above -- but I do think it's important to note that these measures aren't to protect me, they're to protect vulnerable populations in our community. If someone gets this virus at a sports game, then goes back and infects someone vulnerable, this is how this disease turns into a catastrophe. Scientists are saying we should shut down large events like sports games for the time being. I find it hard to imagine how I could disagree with the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                                It's not an overreaction if these draconian measures end up helping to mitigate this disease. The goal here is not prevention, it's mitigation.

And Mark, I hear you with what you were saying above -- but I do think it's important to note that these measures aren't to protect me, they're to protect vulnerable populations in our community. If someone gets this virus at a sports game, then goes back and infects someone vulnerable, this is how this disease turns into a catastrophe. Scientists are saying we should shut down large events like sports games for the time being. I find it hard to imagine how I could disagree with the experts.
                                I don’t recall these measures being taken for SARS, H1N1, Ebola or other infectious diseases over the last decades. The reproductive rate of Coronavirus is higher than the flu but that could be more related to it still being new where population density figures into calculations and will balance when this runs its coarse.

Like those other diseases, this too will be figured out and pass. However, this reaction will create issues outside of the illness and unfortunate deaths. How many lives will be altered by lost wages or missed opportunities. How will a small business recover from lost revenue. What HS student will miss a scholarship because a recruiter didn’t see him/her perform in a cancelled game.

I don’t know the right answer, but over reacting isn’t really erring on the side of caution. IMO it’s creating fear and panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X