Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    SCOTUS rules 5-4 that the administration can deny green cards to anyone who might need gov't aid.

Cue Scoobs.
    Jfc
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Jfc
      Thought you were going for "TEAR THE STATUE DOWN!"

But JFC works just as well.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

This has been on the books for quite a while. But no one has defined what assistance meant or what extent qualifies or disqualifies someone.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

But Slovenian whores are still cool, right?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Who said they weren’t?
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              SCOTUS rules 5-4 that the administration can deny green cards to anyone who might need gov't aid.

Cue Scoobs.
              SCOTUS ruled 5-4 to grant the government's request for a stay of a lower court ruling pending appeal.

While I would tend to side with the 4 personally, meh.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                SCOTUS ruled 5-4 to grant the government's request for a stay of a lower court ruling pending appeal.

While I would tend to side with the 4 personally, meh.
                What is the standard that SCOTUS typically uses in granting or refusing a stay? I (naively) thought it might be "choose the least intrusive, dislocating, human tragedy-inducing option," but in this case that was clearly against the government's case.

My god it will be a good day when SCOTUS is no longer majority sociopath, whether that's 2021 or 2071.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  What is the standard that SCOTUS typically uses in granting or refusing a stay? I (naively) thought it might be "choose the least intrusive, dislocating, human tragedy-inducing option," but in this case that was clearly against the government's case.

My god it will be a good day when SCOTUS is no longer majority sociopath, whether that's 2021 or 2071.
                  Come on, man. Susan Collins would never vote for a sociopath. She has concerns.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Typically it would be to preserve the status quo. A person asking for the stay would also need to show a reasonable likelyhood of prevailing on the merits.

The issue here is that the rule is new, but technically was in place before the court challenge and thus is the status quo.

Comment

The creeps just lost a round but are going to take it to SCOTUS.

Appeals Court Judge William A. Fletcher wrote for the divided court that Arizona’s practice of discarding ballots cast in the wrong precinct and criminalizing the collection of another person’s ballot “have a discriminatory impact on American Indian, Hispanic and African American voters in Arizona” in violation of the Voting Rights Act. The ruling also said the ban on what Republicans have called ballot harvesting was enacted with “discriminatory intent.”

Four of 11 judges on the panel dissented, saying the panel struck down duly enacted policies.

The lawsuit by the Democratic National Committee, Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, and state Democratic Party has been working its way through the courts since shortly after the 2016 law was passed.

The law made it a felony to return someone else’s ballot to election officials in most cases. Republicans pushed House Bill 2023 through the Legislature over objections from Democrats, arguing that so-called “ballot harvesting” can lead to election fraud. Republican Gov. Doug Ducey signed it, saying it would ensure a chain of custody between the voter and the ballot box.

Attorneys for the state argue the new law ensured the integrity of elections and called it a reasonable step to prevent voting fraud. The state Republican Party joined the defense.

Both parties used ballot collection in Arizona to boost turnout during elections by going door to door and asking voters if they have completed their mail-in ballot. If they had not, they urge them to do so and offer to return it to elections offices. The ballots are inside sealed envelopes, with voters signature on the back.

Democrats used the method aggressively in minority communities and argued their success prompted the new GOP-sponsored law.

The appeals court concluded that a trial judge erred when ruling in favor of the state and Republicans who joined the lawsuit. The ruling by an 11-judge appeals court panel also overturned a decision by a smaller appeals court panel.

Fletcher was clear that he didn’t think all Republicans who backed the measure “harbored racial hatred or animosity toward any minority group.” Instead, Fletcher said, Arizona’s long history of race-based voting discrimination and the “the false, race-based claims of ballot collection fraud used to convince Arizona legislators to pass” the bill and other factors “cumulatively and unmistakably reveal” that racial discrimination was a motivating factor.

He noted “false allegations” of fraud by former state Sen. Don Shooter and a “racially-tinged” video of a Latino man dropping off ballots distributed by A.J. Lafaro, former head of the Maricopa County Republicans.
                      The thugs will be back, of course, and perhaps Roberts will judge the Nazis need AZ to keep those sweet heists rolling, but for now at least one court isn't full bore fascist quite yet.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I had no idea this existed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_..._Court_Chamber
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Yep, and I've seen it. Gotta go during the offseason, because it's not part of the standard tour.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Yep, and I've seen it. Gotta go during the offseason, because it's not part of the standard tour.
                            I went on a tour with a staffer from my congressman’s office and saw it. Very cool.

A scheduled vote in the house was also canceled so I got to go in and sit. I would have liked a picture of me on the floor of the house but we weren’t allowed to bring phones in.

Comment

WhenI was in DC the Capitol Dome was being renovated so we got a very abbreviated tour. I plan to go back and get a full tour next time.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X