X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    Sneddon lost to a Canadian side 4-0 last year haha
    Hey now it was 4-1! Since is back-to-back 20 win seasons the administration likes to say was worthy of his extension (and was over 5 years ago) Sneddon is 1-3 vs. teams north of the border. Guelph looks pretty average on paper, but much better than Laurentian who went 9-19 on the season last year which makes that loss just really pathetic.

Anyway all I'm saying is that the logic used by the people in charge up there they'd fire the women's coach for a loss like that (who does need to start getting it together in terms of W-L now) before they got rid of Sneddon and his 10 years of bad results.

Comment

saw Jim Connolly picking UVM to be 8th place in his HEA preview on this website better hope this doesnt give Schluman any ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
        saw Jim Connolly picking UVM to be 8th place in his HEA preview on this website better hope this doesnt give Schluman any ideas!
        For whatever reason, Connolly's always had a pretty favorable outlook on UVM. I'd be shocked if they were to finish as high as 8th though. A dream season like that would warrant a 5-year contract for Sneds!

Comment

Exhibition, so take anything tonight w/ a grain of salt. Misley's Forsberg was a+ though
          https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
          https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
          NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
          Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

five more year! Five more years! Im sure that was the chant at the pour house or VT national's clubhouse from Sneddy and his crew after the game
            Real season starts next week and if we are being fair if they are 2-2 at end of the month that should be expectation anything better is nice surprise but November might decide the whole season as they play league games with teams that have way more talent and better coaching than they do they either show they for real or sit with 6 to 7 league losses after first month

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
              five more year! Five more years! Im sure that was the chant at the pour house or VT national's clubhouse from Sneddy and his crew after the game
              Real season starts next week and if we are being fair if they are 2-2 at end of the month that should be expectation anything better is nice surprise but November might decide the whole season as they play league games with teams that have way more talent and better coaching than they do they either show they for real or sit with 6 to 7 league losses after first month
              Actually, the season doesn't start until the week after next. Just had a look at the schedule and you're right, November is an absolutely brutal month! There's definitely potential to rack up some losses. Regarding October, 2-2 should be the goal and it's definitely realistic. Anything better would be lagniappe (to quote my Louisiana friends). Good start last night though, even if Guelph is pretty bad.

Comment

Nice game for the Catamounts last night. Couple random observations (all of this is prefaced by Guelph is not a very good team):
                - The Guelph goal was because the defense backed in way to far past the blue line without making a play on the puck.
                - Line combinations worked well. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
                - Seems like a shift in systems might be happening. A little less turtle shell block shots at all costs defense in the defensive zone. The forwards are breaking out a little earlier and I think that was opening up the center ice more. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
                - Lekkas settled in after giving up the first goal. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
                - Nice seeing Harmon and Beck get on the ice. They played well and both had some great saves. Shout out to Beck coming on the ice while UVM was killing off a penalty. Right into the fire.
                - Freshman played well. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
                - For the first time in forever our seats are on the penalty box side because of the construction. From a distance, Sneddon looks vaguely like Putin. Can't blame Guelph for that

-

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                  Nice game for the Catamounts last night. Couple random observations (all of this is prefaced by Guelph is not a very good team):
                  - The Guelph goal was because the defense backed in way to far past the blue line without making a play on the puck.
                  - Line combinations worked well. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
                  - Seems like a shift in systems might be happening. A little less turtle shell block shots at all costs defense in the defensive zone. The forwards are breaking out a little earlier and I think that was opening up the center ice more. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
                  - Lekkas settled in after giving up the first goal. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
                  - Nice seeing Harmon and Beck get on the ice. They played well and both had some great saves. Shout out to Beck coming on the ice while UVM was killing off a penalty. Right into the fire.
                  - Freshman played well. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
                  - For the first time in forever our seats are on the penalty box side because of the construction. From a distance, Sneddon looks vaguely like Putin. Can't blame Guelph for that

-
                  I honestly hope a shift in systems is a Thing and not just "guelph bad". We're probably going to suck, but I'd rather be fun-bad than unwatchable like the last two seasons.

Re: Sneddon/Putin, someone actually made that note in a recent /r/collegehockey ****post putting Hockey East coaches next to their well-known doppelgangers. Made me cackle....especially Bazin's https://www.reddit.com/r/collegehock...t_some_hockey/

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                    I honestly hope a shift in systems is a Thing and not just "guelph bad". We're probably going to suck, but I'd rather be fun-bad than unwatchable like the last two seasons.

Re: Sneddon/Putin, someone actually made that note in a recent /r/collegehockey ****post putting Hockey East coaches next to their well-known doppelgangers. Made me cackle....especially Bazin's https://www.reddit.com/r/collegehock...t_some_hockey/
                    Careful now. Fun bad is probably on the "yes for extension" checklist for Schulman.

Comment

While I also feel the coaches message is stale (to players, fans, admin) - I'm going to comment on the exhibition game and build off J24VT's comments. Agree with many of your comments and definitely recognize that Guelph was mediocre at best.

- I thought 1st line (listed below) meshed well and was able to generate. Esposito has a well rounded game and works hard, Cipollone - looks to pick up where he left off last year, and - #17 Jacques Bouquot appeared to be the current best freshman. He skates a little choppy but he gets where he needs to. Seemed to have nice offensive instincts and found himself around the puck all night. Nice finish on the wrist shot for his goal.

- In terms of freshman (always one of my favorite things to do early season) after #17 Bouquot I liked #7 Simon Boyko - smooth skater always moving. Will need to see if where he lands in lineup and what he can bring during regular season, but liked the mobility.

- after that #21 Riley McCutheon - big body, also kind of choppy but could see him in bottom 6 role.

- William Lemay - did not dress, not sure why - anxious to see him as apparently junior career was one with alot of points (maybe - please some offense???).

- Good crowd considering exhibition, Sat night, and nice fall day. We'll see as regular season gets going and whether people turn on or turn off to team.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfantoo View Post
                        While I also feel the coaches message is stale (to players, fans, admin) - I'm going to comment on the exhibition game and build off J24VT's comments. Agree with many of your comments and definitely recognize that Guelph was mediocre at best.

- I thought 1st line (listed below) meshed well and was able to generate. Esposito has a well rounded game and works hard, Cipollone - looks to pick up where he left off last year, and - #17 Jacques Bouquot appeared to be the current best freshman. He skates a little choppy but he gets where he needs to. Seemed to have nice offensive instincts and found himself around the puck all night. Nice finish on the wrist shot for his goal.

- In terms of freshman (always one of my favorite things to do early season) after #17 Bouquot I liked #7 Simon Boyko - smooth skater always moving. Will need to see if where he lands in lineup and what he can bring during regular season, but liked the mobility.

- after that #21 Riley McCutheon - big body, also kind of choppy but could see him in bottom 6 role.

- William Lemay - did not dress, not sure why - anxious to see him as apparently junior career was one with alot of points (maybe - please some offense???).

- Good crowd considering exhibition, Sat night, and nice fall day. We'll see as regular season gets going and whether people turn on or turn off to team.
                        Stream said Lemay was injured

Comment

Article on Lekkas and if he's the best goalie in school history: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ry/3990657002/

He's in the conversation but Thomas still takes the mantle I think. You are judged on wins and losses at the end of the day even if it's not your fault. Also interesting note Clarkson's goalie Marotte the grad transfer from Robert Morris is a Rice High grad playing prep hockey with them. Had some nice numbers at RMU and made 70 saves in a weekend series vs Michigan where the Knights went 1-0-1. Let's see if the self proclaimed impoved Cats actually bring something to the table tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
                            Article on Lekkas and if he's the best goalie in school history: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ry/3990657002/

He's in the conversation but Thomas still takes the mantle I think. You are judged on wins and losses at the end of the day even if it's not your fault. Also interesting note Clarkson's goalie Marotte the grad transfer from Robert Morris is a Rice High grad playing prep hockey with them. Had some nice numbers at RMU and made 70 saves in a weekend series vs Michigan where the Knights went 1-0-1. Let's see if the self proclaimed impoved Cats actually bring something to the table tomorrow.
                            Best goalie in history? I won't say he's not in the conversation but both Thomas and Fallon sit above him in my mind.
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post

Yeah it's an interesting convo w/r/t Stef. He's got the volume and rate numbers (especially if he has another season like last with the rate numbers) but has not had the team success of Thomas, Madore, or Fallon (don't know enough about the early days to talk about a guy like Reece), though I'm not sure how much that should be held against him; it's not his fault the team's offense has been anemic these last two years. He's the classic case of a 'hold your hand through the darkness' guy, a phrase i'm borrowing from Cespedes Family BBQ. Basically a dude that's really good and happy to be there (which Stef clearly loves UVM) even though the team is bad/rebuilding and gives people a reason to watch said bad teams.

Comment

Glanced at the game every now and again as I watched the Yankees game. Seemed like a typical UVM game of the last several seasons — we played pretty well, probably should have won, but ended up losing. Haven’t seen the stats, but the one thing that jumped out at me was the number of face-offs we lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X