UVM Catamounts 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

I noticed immediately after the game Sneddon looked happy and was shaking hands with his assistant coach whereas the BU coach looked very unhappy (almost angry).

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Fan View Post
      Did anyone else notice the camera shots from the Sunday NESN game showing Sneedon dis-engaged from the team and also the game. His body language shows a coach who is not dialed into the college any more. Can we please make the move and move him before the new year. Bring in Pete Lenes, Torry Mitchell, any one else who can get this program fun to watch once again. It's been way too long, and it's so hard to care about the games when we don't have the commitment from the so called coach.
      I would put Jerry Tarrant on the short list ahead of your suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
        I would put Jerry Tarrant on the short list ahead of your suggestions
        Agree. I remember Lenes playing not all that long ago. Either way, I see these guys (including Tarrant) as interim only in the event Sneddon is let go before season's end. Which, by the way, will never happen in a billion years IMHO.

Comment

Is there a state after/below apathy.. because we are there.

Comment

If we lose to a team that plays hockey in the dessert then it is fire Sneddy tiime!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
              If we lose to a team that plays hockey in the dessert then it is fire Sneddy tiime!!
              Haha, fire Sneddy time I guess. You forget to mention that desert school didn’t have a program til a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                I noticed immediately after the game Sneddon looked happy and was shaking hands with his assistant coach whereas the BU coach looked very unhappy (almost angry).
                for every point he gets he gets another year on his contract probably because UVM is that stupid to believe barely getting 2 ties over last two weeks is progress he gets a win over Uconn and they'll sign the deal! then they'll thhrow a parade when he gets 2 wins over the crappy Cat Cup field that they set up
                Time for people to start making real suggestions on who should be next coach of this team might be more fun than commenting how this program is the worst in America!

Comment

[QUOTE=pokecheckguy2;6873277]for every point he gets he gets another year on his contract probably because UVM is that stupid to believe barely getting 2 ties over last two weeks is progress he gets a win over Uconn and they'll sign the deal! then they'll thhrow a parade when he gets 2 wins over the crappy Cat Cup field that they set up
                  Time for people to start making real suggestions on who should be next coach of this team might be more fun than commenting how this program is the worst in America![/QUOTE

If we are talking UVM alum.. I would like to see someone who might pull a few kids from Quebec (yes it is a stretch but worth a try)... Ducharme is out we know that. I would like Ian Boyce but that won't happen either as he is vested in Indiana.. but great guy and would reset the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post

If we are talking UVM alum.. I would like to see someone who might pull a few kids from Quebec (yes it is a stretch but worth a try)... Ducharme is out we know that. I would like Ian Boyce but that won't happen either as he is vested in Indiana.. but great guy and would reset the program.
                    No offense to Jerry Tarrant or Ian Boyce but hiring any of them would be a disaster. Not a lick of coaching experience among them and taking the job is a paycut for both! Same goes for mentioning alums like Aaron Miller or Toby Ducolon who are coaching high school. We all know that's not the same. Fact that they are being brought up though shows how little UVM has to show for alums in the coaching ranks outside Ducharme which stinks because Lowell and Northeastern hired alums and look where they are now. Bill Kangas has been at Williams for nearly 30 years and he might be the only other alum coaching at the college level. He's not taking the job either and shouldn't.

Would be nice if Lang from AIC were available but he turned down SLU and I'd even take Ellsworth at Norwich. It'll be a large assortment of current college assistants perhaps a few D3 head coaches and maybe some AHL/NHL ones who have college ties or coaching at that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
                      No offense to Jerry Tarrant or Ian Boyce but hiring any of them would be a disaster. Not a lick of coaching experience among them and taking the job is a paycut for both! Same goes for mentioning alums like Aaron Miller or Toby Ducolon who are coaching high school. We all know that's not the same. Fact that they are being brought up though shows how little UVM has to show for alums in the coaching ranks outside Ducharme which stinks because Lowell and Northeastern hired alums and look where they are now. Bill Kangas has been at Williams for nearly 30 years and he might be the only other alum coaching at the college level. He's not taking the job either and shouldn't.

Would be nice if Lang from AIC were available but he turned down SLU and I'd even take Ellsworth at Norwich. It'll be a large assortment of current college assistants perhaps a few D3 head coaches and maybe some AHL/NHL ones who have college ties or coaching at that level.
                      i said "if" in UVM alum.. D3 is not the same as D1 so your point is? Pro's are also not the same.. look at Football for those failures.. Baizin was basically coaching a good high school team before he went to UML (and for 3 years only).. and Madigan was an assistant coach 20 years removed before he was hired.. And yes it is a pay cut Boyce and Tarrant but that wasn't the question.. So if per your quote no one will take the job.. we keep Sneddon? Better to go with a Miller or Ducolon at least they know the program and Ducolon has plenty of experience now as coach

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                        i said "if" in UVM alum.. D3 is not the same as D1 so your point is? Pro's are also not the same.. look at Football for those failures.. Baizin was basically coaching a good high school team before he went to UML (and for 3 years only).. and Madigan was an assistant coach 20 years removed before he was hired.. And yes it is a pay cut Boyce and Tarrant but that wasn't the question.. So if per your quote no one will take the job.. we keep Sneddon? Better to go with a Miller or Ducolon at least they know the program and Ducolon has plenty of experience now as coach
                        Calm down. All I'm saying is there are no truly qualified UVM alums out there that we could realistically talk about taking the job and that's why they'll have to choose from a pool of others. Sorry that's just the truth. I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at anyway? No I don't want Sneddon around anymore but I'm not replacing him with Aaron Miller or Toby Ducolon.

To your point on Bazin that's plain silly the guy had over 10 years experience as a D1 assistant coach before taking over at Hamilton which is hardly a high school team and pretty insulting to the level of D3 and the NESCAC. It was his entire resume that got him the job. UVM has nobody that compares to him at all out there as an alum. Madigan was an outlier but the man was scouting for NHL teams for years and already working for Northeastern in another department which is more than any UVM alum can say. All for being outside the box but put the "if" an alum to bed there simply are not others out there remotely close to being qualified for the job and would be downright foolish considering the people that will be interested in the job with the right experience. The next UVM hockey coach will not be a UVM alum and no UVM alums will get any kind of interview for the job. I'd bet my house on that.

Also it very much is not beneath UVM to hire from the D3 ranks. A former men's basketball coach, women's basketball coach and women's soccer coach in the last 10-12 years plus the current UVM women's hockey coach. Would not shock me in the slightest to see UVM be interested in the likes of Ellsworth at Norwich who has plenty of Hockey East coaching experience others who have won some national titles at that level. There's going to be hundreds interested in the job of all experience levels. Is Schulman and the search committee up to the task finding the person who is going to restore things back to respectability?

Comment

Before we online experts hire the next coach, we should note that last night Sneddon moved to the next phase in his coaching repertoire - crushing the souls of the players he expects to score goals. Jr. Alex Esposito and So. Joey Cipollone were both healthy holiday scratches last night in Tempe.

With 3 goals each,they are, by definition, UVM's leading goal scorers. So, they had to be scratched from the lineup. And, as usual, the .467 winning percentage coach's decision paid off with the team's second tie in two weeks.

Esposito scored 10 goals (2nd to Ross Colton's 16) and 20 points (2nd to Colton's 23) as a freshman. Apparently born with Sneddon's coveted 'shooter's mentality,' Esposito looked like he was going to be a good one. As a sophomore, Esposito kept firing the puck, leading the team in shots and finishing 3rd in goals behind freshman Cipollone and sophomore Max Kaufman (remember how good he used to be?). Esposito's sophomore season, though, was cut short by a severe lower body injury.

Cipollone led the team in goals (9) and was 2nd in shots, behind only Esposito, as a freshman. He looked like was going to be a good one. Cipollone came out firing this season, scoring the team's only game-winning goal (it's Thanksgiving!), and he fired a team-high 4 shots in the first Arizona State game.

But 11 games into Sneddon's contract year, Sr. Lodermeier's and Sr. Bryce Misley's 1 goal each and Sr. Matt Alvaro's and Jr. Max Kaufman's and Sr. Tom Beretta's and Jr. Vlad Dzhioshvili's 0 goals were not the problem; Alex Esposito and Joey Cipollone were the problem and needed to be scratched from the lineup. And, as usual, the .467 winning percentage coach's decision worked, and the team gained its second tie in two weeks.

So, 11 games into his contract year, Kevin Sneddon has set his sights on Alex Esposito and Joey Cipollone. In light of his track record of developing players during their time at UVM, good luck Alex and Joey. Don't squeeze your sticks too tightly!
                          Last edited by grantfan; 12-01-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

That's a very one-dimensional assessment of a multi-dimensional game. To even think in this situation that the player with the most number of goals must be their best player is outrageous. VT coaches have been playing and playing pet favorites exactly the way youth hockey "dad" coaches do it, and D1 hockey is supposed to be well above that crap. Which also means who gives a hoot what year they are in school, but thanks for noting. *IF the Cats have ANY truly good players, they're the ones who make other players better. And WHOEVER those guys are, sit them the hell down if their turnovers outnumber their points by a factor of 10. Getting benched is still the oldest and best way to call out the better players, and the valuable, dedicated athletes get it and respond to it with their "souls" wiser and more motivated. Meanwhile, what about the "souls" of the talented kids who seem to have appeared out of nowhere? All of a sudden we find out this kid John de Roche, a forward, has been shining shoes and carrying water for the last year and gets some ice time at D and looks like Bobby Orr compared to some of his teammates. This is the living, breathing definition of terrible coaching: not getting the most out of what you have to work with. Let's hope some of the high end talent in the system (Burns, for example) doesn't bail, because one has to believe they're thinking it, and who could fault them for that...
                            Last edited by newoldschool; 12-02-2019, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Esposito and Cippolone have helped their teammates by turning passes into assists. Somebody has to do that!

Can there be an explanation for De Roche, other than that he really knows how to play hockey and the coach had no clue? Ace Cowans should be a productive energy guy, Kaufman should be a great college player with his passion, energy and ability. Hamre can't even get a sniff as a sophomore? Or Petrillo, not even a try? McCutcheon can't be trusted with a shift? And G-d forbid Tyler Harmon play a game.

It must require a very set, established lineup to achieve what this Sneddon-coached team is achieving.

As for Esposito and Cipollone, they will look over their shoulders every time they miss a one-timer, shoot wide or miss a chance their coach thinks they should have scored. That is exactly what Sneddon does to scorers. He has a long history of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post

Still like the idea of jettisoning Sneddon now and bringing in Jerry Tarrant to finish the rest of the year. Tarrant has been doing a good job coaching Rice and is familiar with the current roster. Sneddon has sucked most of the water out of the mud puddle so there really is no where to go but up.
                                Last edited by j24vt; 12-02-2019, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X