X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Pavel Navrat as a Assistant Coach?
    Every time I think of Pavel I remember watching him whack a Dartmouth player over the head with his stick in Hanover.

Comment

All this throwing out former players as coaching candidate proves to me is that UVM really needs to get more alums into coaching at a higher level because Ducharme is the only one who has a real resume and safe to say he's probably not coming. Saw some speculation on Rick Bennett at Union looks like he only makes about $200k a year and well its not often you get a national championship winning coach coming to your school even though Union has been bad this year he'd be a steal I think unless he's starting to have a Sneddon like finish to his tenure there too because I looked in the Union posts here and someone re posted this from last year. I think it means Bennett definitely considers UVM but you have to hope an upgrade in league and a revamped facility would mean he'd have better luck on the recruiting trail because it seems things have tailed off

https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthrea...=1#post6768295
      Last edited by Charlie Catamount; 02-17-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

UVM/Maine is on NESN on Saturday at 4:30

Comment

St. Louis is a pipe dream in my mind, he still has 2 kids playing youth hockey and seems pretty settled in coaching them at Mid Fairfield. Both teams are top 5 teams in the country in their age groups.

I'm a BC fan but some of my first memories of college hockey were the early 90's UVM teams. I don't know why UVM wouldn't go outside the box to the Q for a coach. Someone who knows the lay of the land in Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Ontario, etc to be able to recruit up there. I'd go after Bob Hartley's son, Steve Hartley in Drummondville or Stéphane Julien in Sherbrooke. Both have developed good teams and could pivot the recruiting to an underdeveloped area.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
            St. Louis is a pipe dream in my mind, he still has 2 kids playing youth hockey and seems pretty settled in coaching them at Mid Fairfield. Both teams are top 5 teams in the country in their age groups.

I'm a BC fan but some of my first memories of college hockey were the early 90's UVM teams. I don't know why UVM wouldn't go outside the box to the Q for a coach. Someone who knows the lay of the land in Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Ontario, etc to be able to recruit up there. I'd go after Bob Hartley's son, Steve Hartley in Drummondville or Stéphane Julien in Sherbrooke. Both have developed good teams and could pivot the recruiting to an underdeveloped area.
            St. Louis is not a candidate I think all the talk about that is like I said the total lack of alums in coaching outside Ducharme. It's an interesting route to take but I think UVM will one want to make sure these guys have degrees because they won't hire someone without one and if someone like Julien played in the Q we know he skipped college hockey though he could have gotten a degree later. Another thing is that because of the Trump administration getting visas for Canadian nationals is much harder now unless they already have one that hasn't expired or the school has to meet a payment threshold of some sort to consider the person a highly-skilled worker.

Comment

I like the idea of past players as asst coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
                Yes thanks for the good times no thanks for the bad. It was time. My guess is the "retirement" is a combination of Sneddon probably knew he was done and maybe wanted to be done and instead of going through this song and dance of will they or won't they plus getting all the bad PR in the world of late especially with his boneheaded comments and this comes a week later...hmmm.

McMahon probably is buddies with Wallack but there is no chance in hell he's getting this job. The candidates he listed were Barr (UMass asst), Cam Ellsworth (Norwich), Kris Mayotte (Michigan asst), Tim Whitehead (former Maine coach who is coaching a prep school I think), David Lassonde (Dartmouth asst), Josh Hauge (Clarkson asst), Ben Syer (Cornell asst), Joe Dumais (Quinnipiac asst), Eric Lang (AIC), Keith Fisher (Penn St asst), Gary Heenan (Utica), Fred Harbinson (Penicton BCHL), Anthony Noreen (Tri City USHL), Peter Mannino (Des Moines USHL) and Seth Appert at USNDT and former RPI coach.

I'm sure there will be interest from those people and others but we will see. Really needs to be the right hire I don't care about flash I want results and wins for this team.
                I never weighed in on this, but I would absolutely bring Heenan in for an interview, if he applied. I understand all of the DIII to DI historical challenges, but the guy just flat out wins hockey games. His squad this year is again a juggernaut at 19-2-2. I think he's had like 5 sub .500 seasons in his 16+ years at Utica and his kids go to class too. I would definitely want my search committee to take a hard look - he's a younger guy who's been an HC for quite some time...no learning curve as you'd have for an AC making the jump.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Really good effort in taking a point at Maine tonight! Good job guys!

Comment

You guys had two uninterrupted 5 minute PPs...yikes

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      You guys had two uninterrupted 5 minute PPs...yikes
                      Right. No secret our PP sucks. At least we didn’t give up a shorty, right? After last night, a tie tonight is a win in my book. Baby steps....

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        Right. No secret our PP sucks. At least we didn’t give up a shorty, right? After last night, a tie tonight is a win in my book. Baby steps....
                        First 5min Maine had 2 great chances and blew them both.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                          UVM/Maine is on NESN on Saturday at 4:30
                          The good news Lekkas got a shut out, bad news we didn’t score any goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
                            All this throwing out former players as coaching candidate proves to me is that UVM really needs to get more alums into coaching at a higher level because Ducharme is the only one who has a real resume and safe to say he's probably not coming. Saw some speculation on Rick Bennett at Union looks like he only makes about $200k a year and well its not often you get a national championship winning coach coming to your school even though Union has been bad this year he'd be a steal I think unless he's starting to have a Sneddon like finish to his tenure there too because I looked in the Union posts here and someone re posted this from last year. I think it means Bennett definitely considers UVM but you have to hope an upgrade in league and a revamped facility would mean he'd have better luck on the recruiting trail because it seems things have tailed off

https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthrea...=1#post6768295
                            He isn’t an alum, but is like one. Damien Diguillian. He was a finalist last time. He knows the game, has great hockey connections, and a very personable guy. He stayed in the area as his wife has a great job at UVM. He’s coached St.Mikes so has stayed in coaching not much to work with at Smc. I don’t know if he’s interested but he’s got UVM connections.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                              Blast singlehandedly coast Miami the championship in 2015 by not taking a timeout. He explained his rationale. He was 100% wrong. He was never the same.
                              Blast was coasting ? Say it ain’t so
                              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
                                He isn’t an alum, but is like one. Damien Diguillian. He was a finalist last time. He knows the game, has great hockey connections, and a very personable guy. He stayed in the area as his wife has a great job at UVM. He’s coached St.Mikes so has stayed in coaching not much to work with at Smc. I don’t know if he’s interested but he’s got UVM connections.
                                Everything I hear about the guy people like him and he has a tough job because St. Mike's is basically glorified club hockey but everyone also tells me they think he likes the job just fine because he doesn't have the grind of D1 and can spend more time with his kids in the off-season. UVM is really going to need someone who is committed to getting the work in and turning things around so it just might not be a good fit for the time being. But it is interesting to note that he did help transition the talent from Gilligan to Sneddon and the best years under Sneddon were mostly when he was an assistant and it trailed off after he left.

Comment

Working...
                                X