Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

Originally posted by Catfantoo View Post
    I agree - better weekend than Maine weekend. More energy/compete by the guys, and liking Freshmen class (Lemay, Lucas, #17). BUT......Maine/UMASS have higher skilled players than UVM has. When Lekas plays really well and things fall right for UVM and the team comes to play then they are in the game. When those things don't play out we're chasing the game and the opponent and often playing from behind.

Which brings me to the coaching situation. Things are stale with the entire program. Empty seats, season tickets not being renewed, product on the ice and eventually the results. Heck last nights 50/50 raffle was a whopping ~$300 (can't remember it ever being that low). UVM is not getting the level of recruit to compete against it's opponents. Not a knock on the players - as I think they are good guys, usually work hard and are giving their best. But at the end of the day - 1 person is responsible for the horses in the barn and we're not getting the level needed to be successful. The current coach has had more than a fair shot to turn things around and that is not happening. The program needs a JOLT of energy (everyone must go - even the stick boy). This is going to be a long journey to get to a better situation. Many recruits are already locked in. It's going to take a new and in my opinion younger coach who has the 80-100 hours a week to game-plan, practice plan, network, and most importantly sell the program and turnaround to a bunch of higher skilled players. I only hope the administration can see what is occurring in the stands and on the ice.
    Recruits being locked in is pretty relative since guys committing that young really aren't doing anything more than giving their word which everyone knows can be backed out of or that things change. If there's a new coach I'm sure they'll want to retain the talented ones but they might not be too worried about where anyone goes if people change their mind.

I think if there's a new coach it is a question of if you're looking at hot recruiter names who are younger or experienced development types. Pros and cons to each. A hot recruiter can get talent but can they coach them to wins? A development and tactician type can bring in talent but maybe not all blue chip types but by the time he's done he's got the results to show for it. You're basically asking whether you want someone like Quinn formerly of BU who that type likely never comes to UVM or someone like a Norm Bazin or a combination of both. All I know is they need someone new who doesn't have the stench that Sneddon reputation has become because despite shortcomings as a program he's the reason they're bad and won't get any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
      Recruits being locked in is pretty relative since guys committing that young really aren't doing anything more than giving their word which everyone knows can be backed out of or that things change. If there's a new coach I'm sure they'll want to retain the talented ones but they might not be too worried about where anyone goes if people change their mind.
      I think his point in saying that recruits are locked in, may have been that the new coach (assuming Sneddon is canned) is going to be stuck with them (i.e., mediocre recruits), not that the new coach would lose them.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        I think his point in saying that recruits are locked in, may have been that the new coach (assuming Sneddon is canned) is going to be stuck with them (i.e., mediocre recruits), not that the new coach would lose them.
        Well that would only apply to those who have signed a national letter of intent already which would only apply to those who either have no choice but to come meaning they are headed for their 21st birthday or the team wants them to enroll now but would have to be college age eligible so most likely 18-19 years old. Since pretty much year to year you never know which one of the recruits is actually going to show up seems like Sneddon and company aren't getting intent letters early because they often push kids into another year of junior hockey and every year you are only working under a verbal commitment is really every year you're not showing up or that you can get out of it with ease. The kids who commit at 15 while everyone does it it's practically meaningless. Also would be willing to bet no kid with one of those advisors is letting them sign a letter of intent to a lame duck coach until they actually know what the deal is.

One example I'll use pulling from that recruiting list site: Mickey Burns committed in December of 2016 when he 16 years old. He's 19 now and still playing junior hockey and will be 20 by the time he is slated to arrive in 2020-21. If there was a coaching change I believe he could say no thanks to UVM if he wanted or the new coach could tell him sorry not in the plans and he would get another year to play juniors somewhere. My point though is that all these early commitments aren't showing up for years after or don't at all and there are so many outs to get them not to come if they're not good enough or they decide they want to go somewhere ele.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles...-about-nli.php

Comment

Well that would only apply to those who have signed a national letter of intent already which would only apply to those who either have no choice but to come meaning they are headed for their 21st birthday or the team wants them to enroll now but would have to be college age eligible so most likely 18-19 years old.
          Really? Didn't realize that. So when a kid verbally commits to play at UVM, is UVM not also making a verbal commitment to the kid? That is, as long as you're still healthy and able to play, and still want to come to UVM, you've got a spot on our team. That's not the case? So if I'm understanding you correctly, the new coach can tell a kid who's made a commitment to UVM "Sorry kid, Coach Sneddon wanted you, I don't. Good luck finding another school."

Comment

Really? Didn't realize that. So when a kid verbally commits to play at UVM, is UVM not also making a verbal commitment to the kid? That is, as long as you're still healthy and able to play, and still want to come to UVM, you've got a spot on our team. That's not the case? So if I'm understanding you correctly, the new coach can tell a kid who's made a commitment to UVM "Sorry kid, Coach Sneddon wanted you, I don't. Good luck finding another school."
            Nothing is binding until the NLI which are only one year agreements to begin with and a sport like hockey is allowed to divide its 18 full scholarships among its roster and the coach can decide to axe your scholarship at any time or tell you you're not getting more which is a Sneddon special and it's why guys like Munson and others left. Either yanked a kid's money outright or told them they wouldn't get any more scholarship money despite playing really well. Verbal agreements are basically so other schools are supposed to back off that the kid has made his decision. The idea is they have a spot on the team but if they find a better player or you don't develop as planned they push you to juniors for more years before eventually just saying sorry no dice while still giving the kid a chance to play his way into landing somewhere else. So yeah a new coach can say to any kid go look in another direction especially those with nothing binding. Also, if there is a coaching change about half those kids who are slated to be here 2-3 years from now will all probably reneg on their commitment anyway. System isn't really equitable it's why more athletes are fighting back against some of the BS and good for them.

Comment

Nothing is binding until the NLI which are only one year agreements to begin with and a sport like hockey is allowed to divide its 18 full scholarships among its roster and the coach can decide to axe your scholarship at any time or tell you you're not getting more which is a Sneddon special and it's why guys like Munson and others left. Either yanked a kid's money outright or told them they wouldn't get any more scholarship money despite playing really well. Verbal agreements are basically so other schools are supposed to back off that the kid has made his decision. The idea is they have a spot on the team but if they find a better player or you don't develop as planned they push you to juniors for more years before eventually just saying sorry no dice while still giving the kid a chance to play his way into landing somewhere else. So yeah a new coach can say to any kid go look in another direction especially those with nothing binding. Also, if there is a coaching change about half those kids who are slated to be here 2-3 years from now will all probably reneg on their commitment anyway. System isn't really equitable it's why more athletes are fighting back against some of the BS and good for them.
              Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

And in news among schools that take winning seriously, Florida State fired second-year football coach Willie Taggart yesterday. According to the article, "Taggart was 9-12 at Florida State, which won the national title in 2013 and has been in a freefall for the last three seasons. The Seminoles have not been ranked this season, are 0-5 against rivals Miami, Florida and Clemson under Taggart and attendance for games at Doak Campbell Stadium has plummeted."

Hmmm, being in a freefall, no national ranking, poor play against conference rivals, plummeting attendance....? This sounds vaguely familiar. FSU fires him DURING HIS SECOND SEASON, don't know what it will take for UVM to fire Sneddy.

Comment

And in news among schools that take winning seriously, Florida State fired second-year football coach Willie Taggart yesterday. According to the article, "Taggart was 9-12 at Florida State, which won the national title in 2013 and has been in a freefall for the last three seasons. The Seminoles have not been ranked this season, are 0-5 against rivals Miami, Florida and Clemson under Taggart and attendance for games at Doak Campbell Stadium has plummeted."

Hmmm, being in a freefall, no national ranking, poor play against conference rivals, plummeting attendance....? This sounds vaguely familiar. FSU fires him DURING HIS SECOND SEASON, don't know what it will take for UVM to fire Sneddy.
                  FSU's alumni also put up the 18 million dollar buyout
                  BS UMass Lowell 2015
                  PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                    FSU's alumni also put up the 18 million dollar buyout
                    We don’t need a buyout. We’re just looking for UVM to say buh bye after the season.

Comment

We don’t need a buyout. We’re just looking for UVM to say buh bye after the season.
                      Exactly. The path is clear for anyone in the administration who values athletic competitiveness in what was once the flagship program of the athletic department. Fire Sneddon. Beg Becker to extend for as many years as he’s willing. That’s a serious and competent coach.
                      PS
                      Anyone else ever seen the Sneddon/Schulman debacle at Buffalo Wild Wings? These people are not serious.

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
                        Exactly. The path is clear for anyone in the administration who values athletic competitiveness in what was once the flagship program of the athletic department. Fire Sneddon. Beg Becker to extend for as many years as he’s willing. That’s a serious and competent coach.
                        PS
                        Anyone else ever seen the Sneddon/Schulman debacle at Buffalo Wild Wings? These people are not serious.

I'm going to assume it has to do with the two of them overindulging in alcohol? They've been seen at Spot on the Dock, The Pour House, Church Street Tavern and plenty of other places plastered. I know I'm not the only one here who has seen Sneddon and his girlfriend acting embarrassingly sloppy drunk at Spot on the Dock over the last couple of years. Guy is entitled to a personal life but it's pretty annoying as someone who supports the school to see a coach and AD act this way out in public.

Comment

Is it time to start looking at Schulman?

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.

FYI..A coach cant just take away a scholarship when ever he/she wants anymore...those rules changed

Comment

Makes perfect sense to me.

The FSU buyout was privately funded, which is fine, but throwing good money after bad is what Maine did with Whitehead, and look where that has gotten them.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                                FYI..A coach cant just take away a scholarship when ever he/she wants anymore...those rules changed
                                When can a coach not take away a student-athlete's scholarship?

Comment

Working...
                                X