X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

Originally posted by VCatGrad89 View Post
    FINALLLLY!

It's worth noting that Sneddon did good work here for a few years. Moving on should've happened 2 years ago, but we should remember that this team was leading BU in the 3rd period of the '09 Frozen Four. The Sneddon era wasn't a total dumpster fire.

Agree. There were some good years and he did work hard for many years. As usual UVM waited way too long to move on when the writing was on the wall and really helped tarnish his legacy with all the negativity of the last 2-3 years....

Comment

As a history lesson, this was the same process UVM used when their 2 previous D-1 coaches stepped down: wait about 3 years past the point the program has cratered and let the outgoing coach announce they are "retiring" to be with their family and move on to different responsibilities in the athletic department.

As far a new coach, I want someone who knows what top college talent looks like and knows how to coach it. IMO Sneddon didn't have this when he came and struggled with both at different times.

Comment

Burlington is a great college town. To be successful the new coach has to have a larger budget than what Sneddon had. Sean Pickett showed that quite clearly with his NCAA financial reports. Looking forward to seeing the Catamounts rebound in the coming years.

Comment

Maybe someone could clarify something for me. Eric Lang apparently signed a contract extension with AIC in 2019. In the article I saw, he had this to say about the extension and his love for AIC: Coming off a historic season, Lang was courted by another institution. Deciding to remain with American International College, he stated, "Loyalty to AIC, which has granted me an opportunity to coach this hockey team at my alma mater, will always be at the forefront. I am indebted to President Maniaci for his continued belief in me and everything he has done for our hockey program. I love this team, this program, and this institution."

The article doesn't indicate how long he's under contract to AIC. My question is this, if UVM pursues him and he in turn has interest in the job, how does his contract with AIC enter into the equation? He wouldn't just be free to take off would he? He sounds like an excellent candidate, but how can he be if he's under contract with AIC? Also, his comments may be typical contract signing BS, but he kinda sounds like he ain't goin nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
            Maybe someone could clarify something for me. Eric Lang apparently signed a contract extension with AIC in 2019. In the article I saw, he had this to say about the extension and his love for AIC: Coming off a historic season, Lang was courted by another institution. Deciding to remain with American International College, he stated, "Loyalty to AIC, which has granted me an opportunity to coach this hockey team at my alma mater, will always be at the forefront. I am indebted to President Maniaci for his continued belief in me and everything he has done for our hockey program. I love this team, this program, and this institution."

The article doesn't indicate how long he's under contract to AIC. My question is this, if UVM pursues him and he in turn has interest in the job, how does his contract with AIC enter into the equation? He wouldn't just be free to take off would he? He sounds like an excellent candidate, but how can he be if he's under contract with AIC? Also, his comments may be typical contract signing BS, but he kinda sounds like he ain't goin nowhere.
            Only thing that matters is if his contract has a buyout clause that the coach or the other school would have to pay to AIC because like any other employee he can leave that deal any time he wants for a new one or whatever else and the school is off the hook paying him outside a firing where a termination buyout is probably negotiated. I don't know the terms of his new deal and his salary bump but AIC's 990 form from 2018 which was the year before his extension he's not among their 10 highest paid school employees and the lowest number on that list is $142k. https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...tions/42103701

Sneddon has a base salary of $289k this year which doesn't include any bonuses or stuff like that. I am going to guess that UVM will start the head coach at about this mark possibly 300k so if UVM could double Lang's salary him being under contract doesn't matter at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
              Only thing that matters is if his contract has a buyout clause that the coach or the other school would have to pay to AIC because like any other employee he can leave that deal any time he wants for a new one or whatever else and the school is off the hook paying him outside a firing where a termination buyout is probably negotiated. I don't know the terms of his new deal and his salary bump but AIC's 990 form from 2018 which was the year before his extension he's not among their 10 highest paid school employees and the lowest number on that list is $142k. https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...tions/42103701

Sneddon has a base salary of $289k this year which doesn't include any bonuses or stuff like that. I am going to guess that UVM will start the head coach at about this mark possibly 300k so if UVM could double Lang's salary him being under contract doesn't matter at all.
              Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. He seems like he should be toward the top of UVM's list, wouldn't you say?

Comment

I would rather see an assistant coach from one of the successful D1 programs rather a current head coach outside of Hockey East. Preferably someone with some recruiting experience.
                Last edited by j24vt; 02-07-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Lang has completely rebuilt two programs from dead last in the country at probably two of the more challenging places to win.
                  Don’t forget Army was 59/60 when he got there and AIC was 60 when he got there.
                  He might as well build another bottom of the country program. He is accustomed to challenges. Which makes him a perfect fit here!

Comment

Torrey Mitchell = retired x 3 kids = running skills camps in Essex Junction. Should he be Head Coach x 500 games in the NHL? Maybe not...but yeah, pretty **** close. Next UVM Head Coach better have Torrey x Assistant (#1) or whatever skills coach he wants to be.

Comment

Hopefully power issue s are fixed at UNH and the game is actually on NESN tomorrow!!

Did not know Mitchel was in Essex! Hope he wants to be part of the future of UVM hockey.

Comment

• UVM Catamounts 2019/20

Need to remember that UVM Athletics is in budget crisis, no money to hire big time coach or ‘buy-out’ other contracts. Expect a former div 3 coach who wants to make a jump, probably very young, paid about 75% of KS contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by goREBER; 02-09-2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goREBER View Post
                          Need to remember that UVM Athletics is in budget crisis, no money to hire big time coach or ‘buy-out’ other contracts. Expect a former div 3 coach who wants to make a jump, probably very young, paid about 75% of KS contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Well that would be extremely foolish and shortsighted to say you're slashing 73k out of the salary budget to pay someone $216k which would rank among the lowest in all of D1 a position UVM probably is already in the lower half of with Sneddon's 289k. I have no problem hiring a qualified D3 head coach who has D1 coaching experience within the last decade (Ellsworth) but very rarely does this work out and UVM knows this. Their former basketball coach up to 2015 was a D3 coach who made the jump and ran the program into the ground. Plumer isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with the women's hockey program either. They're in a better place than they were before he took over but his best season was with players the previous staff recruited. He needs to start showing a lot more than effort and more losing seasons in league play too at some point even if it's a sport that is low on the priority chart. Also Ron Fogarty at Princeton save his one run to the tourney still has been a disaster at Princeton and was a hot up and coming D3 coach. That's why guys like Greason at Trinity give me plenty of pause unless they're some miracle worker and I tend to doubt it with people who have similar resumes to him.

If that's all UVM wanted and if that's how they focus their search well they're only asking for a disaster. At a minimum they should only go 85% of Sneddon's salary this year which is 245k but they are going to have to have the window open all the way to 300k. They'll need the assistant coaching budget to be at least 185-200k as well depending on the number of roles they allow to be full time otherwise hire Kevin Patrick and let this clown show roll on for another decade. And before anyone comes in here and gives the whole UVM isn't the powerhouse people think it is speech just know I'm fully aware but even people like you would have to admit this sort of approach would be completely defeatist and the school might as well just go D3 if it wants to go down that road. If they don't want to give the institutional support then they give Sneddon another deal last year.

Comment

Can someone start posting wild, speculative coaching rumors that I can get unjustifiably excited about please?

Comment

Waiting for the job posting to go up and make it official. There is at least 1 coach from a past Frozen Four team who is interested in moving to Vermont.

Comment

• Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                                Waiting for the job posting to go up and make it official. There is at least 1 coach from a past Frozen Four team who is interested in moving to Vermont.
                                If it’s Rico Blasi, hard pass. His tenure ended like Sneddon’s.

Comment

Working...
                                X