• Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2019-20

This is not the start we wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      No, but to be fair it has been a tough early schedule after the Merrimack series. Denver at home, then Michigan in their barn, and next week at Notre Dame. Defense was supposed to be the strength of the team but we've given up 4 goals in each of the last 3 games. Defensive play needs to tighten up, power play has to get going, and the Lakers need to do much better at face offs.

Comment

Better now to take some lumps this time of year when it's early and it's all non-conference than late in the season.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

To me, it stinks because LSSU had good chances. I didn't think they got outplayed that badly besides a period or so against Denver and later in the Friday game against Michigan. They could have gone 2-2 in this stretch, but ultimately the Lakers didn't capitalize on some opportunities and need to keep the puck out of their own net better.

I hope they can manage a spilt against Notre Dame. I didn't mind taking some lumps with this schedule, but I'd really hate to see them be 0-6 against the tougher teams. I feel like people will want to write them off if they lose 6 straight early, which I sort of understand given the team's history over the last couple of decades, but they really aren't a bad team.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
            Reading these posts about other teams announcers makes me realize how lucky that we've had Bill Crawford for all these years.
            Agreed. Crawford will occasionally get a little too critical, but ultimately he's a very good announcer. It's kind of surprising that he didn't move on to be an announcer elsewhere. He's as good as some of the NHL announcers.

Comment

Better now to take some lumps this time of year when it's early and it's all non-conference than late in the season.
              Non conference games with the power rankings they give you are so important to win . Power ratings are big in choosing who goes to the nationals and who don't . Never down play the non conference games as they can be the margin of going to the nationals or staying home.

Comment

NMU had a 1-5 non-conference record playing mostly tough teams last year and ending up finishing 2nd. Hopefully the same thing happens with the Lakers.

Our offense seems fine. Defense is our problem currently.

Comment

I'm a little bit surprised we haven't seen Roman Bengert and/or Seth Eisele in goal yet this season. It was pretty much a given that Marek Mitens was the #1 goalie coming into the season, but with a string of 8 non-conference games to start the season, I thought we'd see one or maybe both of our other 2 goalies by now. Maybe we'll see one of them this weekend. It would be nice to get them some game experience in cast Mitens gets injured.

I see that both of this weekend's games against Notre Dame will now be on TV. Friday on NBCSN and Saturday on the NHL network
                  Last edited by Bill; 10-21-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                    Agreed. Crawford will occasionally get a little too critical, but ultimately he's a very good announcer. It's kind of surprising that he didn't move on to be an announcer elsewhere. He's as good as some of the NHL announcers.
                    Crawford is often criticized for being critical by the same folks who are far more critical while sitting behind a screen name. He gives an honest opinion and puts his name on it.

Comment

I know it is early but I have not been impressed with Mittens .

Comment

I know it is early but I have not been impressed with Mittens .
                        I think he can play better, but there have been a number of pucks get past him that deflected off of players (including our own) that he really couldn't do anything about.

Comment

Jeff Jackson said that they were hoping to play at Lake State next season. Nothing firm yet, but it sounds like there's a decent chance it could happen.

Comment

Another 5 goals allowed tonight. Lakers giving up WAAAAAAY too many goals. I thought our defense was supposed to be be our biggest strength?

Comment

Another 5 goals allowed tonight. Lakers giving up WAAAAAAY too many goals. I thought our defense was supposed to be be our biggest strength?
                              I know it is early,but I am not impressed with Mitens at all . Might be the time tonight to give Mitens a night off .

Comment

I know it is early,but I am not impressed with Mitens at all . Might be the time tonight to give Mitens a night off .
                                It's time to see what the other goalies can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X