Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2019-20

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Has anyone actually associated with Navy ever said anything about them wanting a D-I hockey team? As far as I've seen the only people saying they are going D-I are hockey fans on message boards. Maybe I'm wrong. I certainly didn't see LIU hockey coming, but hockey is not normally something that just appears out of the thin air due to the costs and facility involved.
    I believe, yes. Last year maybe? As to facilities, they have a more than adequate (for AHA) rink already on campus that would be fairly easy to upgrade (built in 2007)

https://www.usnahockey.com/page/show...n-hockey-arena
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      How long will AHA wait on Navy to **** or get off the pot?
      Same thing with Illinois
      "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
        Same thing with Illinois
        Well, that's a different story. The B1G will wait forever on the Illini because, well, where else are they gonna go?
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Has anyone actually associated with Navy ever said anything about them wanting a D-I hockey team? As far as I've seen the only people saying they are going D-I are hockey fans on message boards. Maybe I'm wrong. I certainly didn't see LIU hockey coming, but hockey is not normally something that just appears out of the thin air due to the costs and facility involved.
          People at CHN and USCHO have confirmed it was going to be announced this year if not for the pandemic.

So, I’d say it’s at least a few degrees above message board speculation.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Has anyone actually associated with Navy ever said anything about them wanting a D-I hockey team? As far as I've seen the only people saying they are going D-I are hockey fans on message boards...
            Navy has long had a very successful ACHA club program and there actually has been scuttlebutt off and on about upgrading to D1. But something or someone would always come along to torpedo the idea. And they missed the boat on two occasions: Once when they built their main sports arena without including an ice making capability and again when they built the current rink about ten years ago with very limited seating (maybe 650 though it appears there's room to expand a bit). But it should be enough for Atlantic Hockey.

No idea what spillover from the public health emergency will have on the reported D1 plans. Hopefully not another torpedo.
            Last edited by Split-N; 06-04-2020, 07:41 AM.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              And they missed the boat on two occasions:
              Ironic - considering it's the Navy.

Comment

But something or someone would always come along to torpedo the idea. And they missed the boat on two occasions: ... Hopefully not another torpedo.
                I see what you did there.
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                  I see what you did there.
                  Puns aside, I really hope there's some substance to this rumor. The Washington Capitals are wildly popular in the Greater DC area and high school hockey is flourishing in the area. D1 Navy Hockey should be a winner.

(BTW, I haven't used "abaft the beam" yet.)
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Well, that's a different story. The B1G will wait forever on the Illini because, well, where else are they gonna go?
                    True, just so many stops and starts with the Illini. They're coming, they're not coming, any day now, going to be a while, etc. Arizona State's proven you don't need a state-of-the-art home rink to get a D-I program started, but then, the Big Ten probably wants something all-new and shiny.
                    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
                      True, just so many stops and starts with the Illini. They're coming, they're not coming, any day now, going to be a while, etc. Arizona State's proven you don't need a state-of-the-art home rink to get a D-I program started, but then, the Big Ten probably wants something all-new and shiny.
                      Different schools. Different circumstances. Maybe Illinois wants crowds bigger than 800 to help fund its program long term. Maybe they did, indeed, have their ducks in a row before COVID-19 hit. That leaves a ton of funding uncertainty for the athletic department. There is a chance that the fundraising process has taken a bit of a hit.
                      Last edited by davyd83; 06-04-2020, 05:32 PM.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I’d say it’s the other way around. The Illini know that they will have a home no matter what, and I’m not entirely certain that the team could choose to go elsewhere or that the league could opt to not include them.
                        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

[QUOTE=davyd83;6957667]Different schools. Different circumstances. Maybe Illinois wants crowds bigger than 800 to help fund its program long term. Maybe they did, indeed, have their ducks in a row before COVID-19 hit. That leaves a ton of funding uncertainty for the athletic department. There is a chance that the fundraising process has taken a bit of a hit.[/Q

I'm sure they want something more than 800 seats. I don't know what Big10 arena seating requirements are.
                          ASU has the $120 million in hand for its 5000 seat arena. FEL basically complete, existing infrastructure being validated with the needs of the Innovation Corridor, groundbreaking in November.

Comment

Just think of the childish frat boy chants that Navy should call themselves the Seamen
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

My BIL (LtCdr Crump, Physics) is on the faculty. I asked him when he was here at Christmas. He chuckled. "Yeah, people talk about it, and ... maybe?"

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Puns aside, I really hope there's some substance to this rumor. The Washington Capitals are wildly popular in the Greater DC area and high school hockey is flourishing in the area. D1 Navy Hockey should be a winner.

(BTW, I haven't used "abaft the beam" yet.)
                                I think you and i both know that Annapolis is not DC... otherwise I have a nice 5,000 seater down the road from me that goes criminally unused. I doubt the ice plant still exists.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X