Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Faceoffs, conditioning are points of emphasis for Gophers men's hockey team

http://www.startribune.com/faceoffs-...gn=Puck%20Drop
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Faceoffs, conditioning are points of emphasis for Gophers men's hockey team

https://www.startribune.com/faceoffs...gn=Puck%20Drop
      Both of those were problems that played a role in the loss on Sat. They didn't have much left in the tank in the 3rd on Sat. and the faceoffs? Well...they were only at 30% FOWs on Sat. Brodzinski and Burke were a combined 3/13 FOWs.

Comment

[B]Faceoffs...
        Uh oh.

Comment

Odd start times this weekend, 5:30 on Friday and 4:00 on Saturday? At least they're both on the widely available BTN.

Looking at Michigan's stats I see that, like the Gophers, their offense is off to a slow start, in fact even more so, with no scorers having more than 4 points through 8 games. Should we expect a pair of low scoring games, like 1-0 or 2-1?
          Low scoring games? Nah, not against Michigan.
          You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Can someone tell me tonight which end Gophs shoot on twice at Mooch? Gonna be in Cities for T-Giving and know a Whioux player and parents, so think we'll attend. Hopefully better results than game in Duluth I attended.

Comment

Section 13 end that's the student end

Comment

Odd start times this weekend, 5:30 on Friday and 4:00 on Saturday? At least they're both on the widely available BTN.

Looking at Michigan's stats I see that, like the Gophers, their offense is off to a slow start, in fact even more so, with no scorers having more than 4 points through 8 games. Should we expect a pair of low scoring games, like 1-0 or 2-1?
                Depends on Michigan's D/goalie situation, I feel like we might start scoring more if we don't have to face elite goaltending every week (at least historically Morris and Shepard have been above average and both those teams tend to play good D). But this team does lack some of the elite shooting ability of previous Gopher teams.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                  But this team does lack some of the elite shooting ability of previous Gopher teams.
                  I've noticed that as well; it's a definite weakness. So many misses on prime scoring opportunities - hope this will improve, starting this weekend.

Comment

I've noticed that as well; it's a definite weakness. So many misses on prime scoring opportunities - hope this will improve, starting this weekend.
                    Parise, UND has had to deal with this lack of snipers for 3 years now. I seriously didn't think UMinn ever experienced that particular problem. It's frustrating when they work hard and even maintain possession but cannot score when they should. When you have only moderate talent, like UND has had recently, you need to make the most of your chances.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Parise, UND has had to deal with this lack of snipers for 3 years now. I seriously didn't think UMinn ever experienced that particular problem. It's frustrating when they work hard and even maintain possession but cannot score when they should. When you have only moderate talent, like UND has had recently, you need to make the most of your chances.
                      So easy to blame the D for their mistakes which lead to goals against, but it's just as important for the forwards to convert on their prime scoring opportunities at the other end.

Comment

So easy to blame the D for their mistakes which lead to goals against, but it's just as important for the forwards to convert on their prime scoring opportunities at the other end.
                        Can I get an Amen?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

With the D (at least under the last few years of Lucia, it's improved somewhat with the freshmen) it wasn't so much the mistakes in their own end as much as the fact that they lacked the talent offensively to ever make up for them, not to mention some of them are/were black holes in terms of puck possession that just killed the play more often than not on offense. That said the forwards seem to lack confidence or the ability to keep the D on their heals, they like to boast about the size of the team but they're a far cry away from that speedy team from 2014 that went to a natty or some of the teams the years before. It's not just a lack of sniping ability, they haven't been good in terms of possession either.

Comment

One goal in regulation and the 5 on 5 (combined total) won't win many games. As it turned out Michigan did a lousy job of capitalizing on their prime opportunities, of which there were many in the first and third periods. Both teams are offensively challenged, which is unusual given their history of being high scoring teams (and yes, that history goes back a few years).

Comment

I think Motzko may have found the formula for the third line: Burke/Nelson/Perbix. I don't like Reedy on the top line with Sammy and McLaughlin. 2 pts on the Nelson OT goal...we'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                                Low scoring games? Nah, not against Michigan.
                                I hate to say I told you so...oh wait, no I don't!

Comment

Working...
                                X