Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Even if ticket prices stay the same if the product on the ice improves and people begin to see hype around the team they will show up. I was at the Georgia Southern football game at the Bank and it was 50% full maybe. Go and win a few BIG games and face Penn State and the place is 100% full. On top of that the tailgate lots were booming and people were excited to see this team that has been bad for so long. Its that simple as people are fickle. W I N
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by YoungEagle View Post
      Even if ticket prices stay the same if the product on the ice improves and people begin to see hype around the team they will show up. I was at the Georgia Southern football game at the Bank and it was 50% full maybe. Go and win a few BIG games and face Penn State and the place is 100% full. On top of that the tailgate lots were booming and people were excited to see this team that has been bad for so long. Its that simple as people are fickle. W I N
      Even when Gopher hockey had been doing well, ever since ticket prices started to creep up you started to see more no-shows. Be they corporate seats going unused, regular season ticketholders not appearing, or the average single-game tickets simply going unsold. There's been a malaise about this program compared to the era 20 years ago, when you had to buy your single-game tickets the very day they went on sale or you were either SRO or SOL. I was always on the ball that day to get SCSU tickets. Then one year I started to receive emails regarding Black Friday sales, and other reduced ticket packages. That was a serious shock to those of us who grew up with the program but then attended another then-WCHA hockey school.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Motzko needs to make a splash with the talented 04 MN based class

Fleming (#1 target I'm sure for every MN team, UND, uw...)
        Howard (UMD)(Calling MN because of Shattuck)
        Lucius (UMN)
        Lastarza (Calling MN because of Shattuck)
        Chesley
        Snuggerud
        Stramel

Comment

Well somehow the team showed up on a Friday. Was worried that without Reedy things would be tough. (I know a lot of people aren't high on Reedy but he wins a lot of puck battles and defenders have a hard time with his size.) I came away feeling a little better about the future last night. Hard to believe Ranta is only a Sophomore with how strong he is on his skates. Opposing players really have a tough time handling his size, skating and tenacity. He could be a force if he learns to think the game a little quicker. Brodzinski started the year looking like the game was way too fast for him and that bringing him in was a mistake, but the game is clearly slowing down for him. He is showing flashes of puck patience and better decision making and he also is strong for an 18 year old. Meyers also shows both size and skill and Nelson looks like he could turn into a beast with some decent hands. Overall, the forwards were more tenacious than they have shown all year with some extended forechecking at times that the Buckeyes couldn't overcome. If they can continue to work on consistently applying that kind of pressure they will start to win more games. And the future for the defense looks good. So even without the apparent skill level up front of what we are used to seeing with past Gopher teams, the combination of size, tenacity and enough skill makes me think that if they can hold onto players, they should be very competitive in the next couple years. (Of course this is based on them playing consistently after watching one good game in a season of inconsistencies.) The one thing I can't figure out is what happened to Walker?

So they mentioned that Wisconsin is a fast-paced offense with less reliable D. And the Gophs look to be a team in the future without dominating skilled forwards, but a number of players who can simply out-muscle opponents at times. Sign of the apocalypse?

Comment

And any rumors on how long Reedy is out for?

Comment

Great quote:

Motzko was surprised to hear music coming from the locker room on Friday after the win. Is he okay with that going forward?

"I know I’m a tad older, but it’s the new age player, I’ve been relaxed with them and kind of go with it… they know we bring out the stick if we have to."
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

5-1 coming out of the break is a nice start, but now 6 of the next 8 are on the road. It will interesting to see how this still young team handles it - will they continue to grow or come back down?

The good news is that this was their first weekend where you could argue they had the better play for at least 5/6 periods, and more importantly it showed on the scoresheet.

Ski-u-mah!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  5-1 coming out of the break is a nice start, but now 6 of the next 8 are on the road. It will interesting to see how this still young team handles it - will they continue to grow or come back down?

The good news is that this was their first weekend where you could argue they had the better play for at least 5/6 periods, and more importantly it showed on the scoresheet.

Ski-u-mah!
                  It seemed like in wins in the first half, there wasn't much separation in skill (and in some losses). But this weekend they clearly outplayed OSU for most of the weekend. With a team this young, one can't count on them suddenly being consistent, but this weekend sure makes future series more intriguing to watch. I think we all felt we were biding our time this season waiting to see how much improvement we would see next year with an older team. But now it feels like they might be able to make the rest of this season more interesting. I would especially like to see them put forth this sort of effort for six periods against Penn State, given how the last several series have gone against them (and of course against the Cheesheads, just because its the Bad-gers.)

And again, any rumors on Reedy?

Comment

Did they honor Wooger last night or is that at a later date?
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Your team was pretty dominant this weekend congrats on the sweep. Would like another crack at you guys in the playoffs but in Columbus. Ohio state didnt have any clue how to play on the big ice. Good luck the last 10 games.

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                        Did they honor Wooger last night or is that at a later date?
                        Last night. Along with a tribute, the Gophers' nameplates on the jerseys were "Wooger."
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          Last night. Along with a tribute, the Gophers' nameplates on the jerseys were "Wooger."
                          Awesome. I hope the Mooch was full
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            I wish game had been on FSN. I think they would have covered it better.

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                              Awesome. I hope the Mooch was full
                              It was pathetic. I’m glad wooger didn’t see it.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Just to clarify and not to be snarky, but what was pathetic - the attendance? Attendance has been down at Mariucci for quite some time right?

Comment

Working...
                                X