Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

IMO, the options of TV, streaming, along with ticket prices (yes secondary market is a steal, I'm going with face value), and other options for entertainment, along with a mediocre (at best) team...bye bye attendance. It's not just a MN thing, either, unless it's the only game in town (as was mentioned with UND).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      IMO, the options of TV, streaming, along with ticket prices (yes secondary market is a steal, I'm going with face value), and other options for entertainment, along with a mediocre (at best) team...bye bye attendance. It's not just a MN thing, either, unless it's the only game in town (as was mentioned with UND).
      Agree with all of this. Some say that "winning would solve everything" but with so many factors at work I'm not so sure.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I am absolutely convinced it has to do with two things:
        1. Only game in town versus the most crowded sports (and entertainment) market outside of Chicago, LA, and NYC.
        2. Shi—ty play.

1 isn’t a problem without 2 and vice versa.

I’ve posted exhaustively in the attendance thread and have yet to be refuted with data or anything other than “suck it up” or “you just have a ****ty fan base” equivalents.
        Usage of instant relay killed my desire to attend sporting events live. The joy of a goal turns to apprehension while 10000 people wait for some arbitrary ruling on a single aspect, but ignoring 1000 other things. waiting 10 minutes, while your side hopes for something. Looking at opposition fans clearly praying for the opposite. Knowing less than people watching from home, despite paying serious bucks to attend. My last college game was two teams I don't even like, Wisc vs MinnST. I don't remember who won, I do remember having to go through instant replay pain 4 times, and see it toy with a couple of rabid Wisconsin fans. It just KILLS emotion and momentum. Bad calls, missed calls are part of sports.
        <Another Preachy and Annoying Signature>

Comment

1. Only game in town versus the most crowded sports (and entertainment) market outside of Chicago, LA, and NYC.
          2. Shi—ty play.

I’ve posted exhaustively in the attendance thread and have yet to be refuted with data or anything other than “suck it up” or “you just have a ****ty fan base” equivalents.
          The "only game in town" crutch is such a crock.

There are 57,000 people in Grand Forks, 100,000 if you count Grand Forks, EGF, and the counties they sit in.

There are what, 3.6 million in the metro area? To fill a 10,000 seat arena like Mariucci, you need only about .00277778 of them. That's be like going to the Grand Forks "metro" and saying there is no way we could get 278 people to an event.

There didn't seem to be "too many other things to do" back in 2003 when the team was winning?
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

There are 57,000 people in Grand Forks, 100,000 if you count Grand Forks, EGF, and the counties they sit in.

There are what, 3.6 million in the metro area? To fill a 10,000 seat arena like Mariucci, you need only about .00277778 of them. That's be like going to the Grand Forks "metro" and saying there is no way we could get 278 people to an event.

There didn't seem to be "too many other things to do" back in 2003 when the team was winning?
            Like every team in this town if you don't win consitently people will find something else to do. It's real simple.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Agree with all of this. Some say that "winning would solve everything" but with so many factors at work I'm not so sure.
              Winning will solve some attendance problems like when 500 people showed up for their tourney.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Like every team in this town if you don't win consitently people will find something else to do. It's real simple.
                Exactly. That's why I said, without competition, you don't need to be competitive. If you aren't competitive, you can't have competition.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yeah, because those 3.6 million are really the demographic core of college hockey, like say, Grand Forks. Not even close. But nice try.

Also, that 3.6 million uses counties like Stearns, St. Croix (WI), Isanti, and Mille Lacs. These people aren't driving to games en masse. Misleading.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    And you still have to pay for parking around the U, or take the bus/train. So a $50 ticket becomes $52-60/ticket, depending upon the number of people in your car and paying face value.

I'd attend more SCSU games, but the expense of time to drive there, the cost of fuel, and likely a meal at a restaurant (sadly, not Val's these days). Take that vs. me paying $90 and having all home games stream to my TV or iPad. And the Gophers are set against an even cheaper option if you already have satellite or cable TV due to other programming options.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah, because those 3.6 million are really the demographic core of college hockey, like say, Grand Forks. Not even close. But nice try.

Also, that 3.6 million uses counties like Stearns, St. Croix (WI), Isanti, and Mille Lacs. These people aren't driving to games en masse. Misleading.
                      There are 3.1 million in the seven counties covered by the Metropolitan Council. The State of Hockey can't find 10,000 people out of 3.1 million to go to a hockey game?
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

There are 3.1 million in the seven counties covered by the Metropolitan Council. The State of Hockey can't find 10,000 people out of 3.1 million to go to a hockey game?
                        How many people are at their high school's game, the Wild game, playing their own pickup game on a Friday or Saturday night? How many people can afford the ticket? Gopher hockey doesn't have the same cache as it did back when it was the only D-1 school within an hour's drive, and there was no NHL team around, and the team was constantly at or over 0.500. There are a great many factors. I'd even throw in some of the school's non-pricing decisions like attempts at stifling the student section a number of years prior, helping quiet the Morgue's atmosphere.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Excuses up the wazoo.

1. No one wanted the Big Ten and anyone that says it's anywhere near as interesting as the WCHA is in denial
                          2. The team has not been very good for years because the previous coach was held on to way too long

Take those two factors, and add in a price that no one is willing to pay, and you have an empty arena.

Big Ten conference games should probably be priced at about 15-20 bucks.

Comment

2. Shi—ty play.

I'd probably include some combination of the economy post 2008 playing a factor and live nation having a monopoly (they own like 70% of the ticket market and ticketmaster, stubhub, and some of the other sites) which means $20 fees being tacked onto every ticket and the price being driven up (concerts, sporting events, etc.). IDK how else you explain attendance being down across the board for pretty much every live sporting event and I assume the same is true for concerts.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              How many people are at their high school's game, the Wild game, playing their own pickup game on a Friday or Saturday night? How many people can afford the ticket? Gopher hockey doesn't have the same cache as it did back when it was the only D-1 school within an hour's drive, and there was no NHL team around, and the team was constantly at or over 0.500. There are a great many factors. I'd even throw in some of the school's non-pricing decisions like attempts at stifling the student section a number of years prior, helping quiet the Morgue's atmosphere.
                              Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              I'd probably include some combination of the economy post 2008 playing a factor and live nation having a monopoly (they own like 70% of the ticket market and ticketmaster, stubhub, and some of the other sites) which means $20 fees being tacked onto every ticket and the price being driven up (concerts, sporting events, etc.). IDK how else you explain attendance being down across the board for pretty much every live sporting event and I assume the same is true for concerts.
                              Both are good posts.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                1. No one wanted the Big Ten and anyone that says it's anywhere near as interesting as the WCHA is in denial.
                                Time to grow up and move into the year 2020, Eeyore.

Comment

Working...
                                X